The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa Fw -190F-8

Hey all,

I joined the forum as the ME GB was winding down.  I was hoping maybe that this would happen so I could get in on it.  I need help getting my modeling MoJo back....

Anyway,  this is what I'm going to enter..

FW190tankbuster_zps17592eac.jpg

I'm not going to do the tank buster version.  I guess it wasn't very successful, so it never went into full scale production.  I haven't decide what to do yet........ :mellow:

Cheers,   Ian

• Like 1

Dave,

Nice scheme.  Any ideas what the colors are?

Sure... here is all the info you need ;)

FW 190 F-8 from III./S.G.3, a ground-attack unit that served alongside J.G. 54 in the Courland Pocket during the last months of the war. Three Luftwaffe personnel made the flight to Sweden in this aircraft, including Stabsfeldwebel Werner Skirlo, Fw. Johann Gruber and Fw. Adolf Karnel. The aircraft belly-landed, but was not badly damaged. It was RLM 75/83, but unusually, the 83 was applied in large blobs on the fuselage sides. The wingtips seem white, but were probably yellow. The spinner had a black/white spiral, and 'Black M + I' carried a late-war version of the Balkenkreuz. This FW 190 was scrapped and the parts were turned over to the Soviet Union in autumn 1945

sweden1.jpg

Kagero 05 Focke Wulf Fw190 Vol.III has these in decals but I think you will be lucky to find it these days as it was published a while ago... Joe at Scale Precision Masks should be able to knock these up for you very easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got a bit of an update....basic parts cleanup done, just soaked and rinsed all the resin bits, started cleanup and assembly of the powerplant............still haven't decided on a scheme yet.....thats all for now, :)

Hopefully pics to follow...

Cheers,   Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

Finally picked a paint scheme for my 190.  Picked this up the other day.  Berna Decals German aircraft in French service.

BernadecalsFW190_zps626a2db9.jpg

The 190 on the sheet is an A5, and my build is an F8.  How much difference is there between the two versions?

Any idea what shade green and grey they're talking about?  I don't recognize the paint numbers

Anyway, thats where I'm at today

Cheers,   Ian

Did some cross referencing Humbrol Colors to Testors Model Master and I found at least one match..

The Humbrol 75 comes out as Matt Bronze Green that has no Testors equivelent

The Testors match for Humbrol 128 is US Compass Ghost Grey, so I'm good there

Ia there any Testors equivelent for Matt Bronze Green?

Cheers,  Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Ian

You asked about difference between F-8 and A-5.

1. Different cowl guns (MG 17 as opposed to MG131 in F-8) this means the much less bulged upper cowl part.

2. The upper forward part covering the engine has two sets of latches, Hasegawa instruct you to fill some for F-8, reverse this for A-5.

3. F-8 has A-8 type outer gun panels under the wing... A-5 has MG FF and a different type of bulge.

4. On A-5 the pitot tube was inboard next to outer gun (not sure if same wing as F-8, but the little flashed over location will be present.)

5. A-5 had a different smaller hatch under the fuselage behind the drop tank rack.

6. Different arrangement of filler covers I think as the A-5 didn't have MW50 tank.

Having written all that, I see that your kit has an engine, which means it's the older Hasegawa kit which was originally marketed as an A-8/A-5 (notes above are for the new tool kits). This means all the A-5 parts are there... Some of the above may help still...

Matt

• Like 1

Matt,

Thanks for the info.  Upon further review, it looks like all the A-5 parts are there in my kit, so I can just proceed as planned.

Not much progress as of late, as I am working on a Ju 88 and trying to work on my He 219..

Cheers,   ian