The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

FW190D9 Hasegawa 1/32 "Papagei Staffel"

tchwrma

• 2 months later...

Hi, friends!

Finally today I received the aftermarkets purchased to improve the Dora.

I received the 2031 Aires Superset:

DSC_6591_zps8dc8a8f3.jpg

DSC05593.jpg

Plus the Master metal barrels:

DSC05595.jpg

DSC05597.jpg

DSC05598.jpg

And the Montex Paint masks:

2651_rd.jpg

DSC05594.jpg

The only iten still on his way is the R&B belts....

I barely could wait until weekend to start the kit...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Men, I'm really impressed who how much parts to be descarded...Almost 50% of the kit... :o

Here the bag with the parts to be used:

DSC05617.jpg

And here the discarded parts:

DSC05618.jpg

Parts to be used:

DSC05622.jpg

DSC05623.jpg

Parts discarded:

DSC05619.jpg

DSC05620.jpg

DSC05621.jpg

So, let's go to the work:

To begin, I marked the cuts and made them, first with the dremel, then with the files, and finally with a sandpaper.

DSC05632.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

DSC05665.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

So, I  made a carving in the inside of plastic to made the walls thinner. This is to let them so close to the real ones.

DSC05638.jpg

DSC05639.jpg

DSC05634.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

Then, using the excellent 5 view drawings of Kagero book TopDrawings, I made the riveting of the wings and the inferior part of the fuselage. After concluded, i sanded all smootly with a 600 sandpaper to remove the tips and burrs created by the trumpeter rivet tool in the process. I really need to buy the R&B tool....

DSC05640.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05658.jpg

DSC05659.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

Then, I cut the elevators to get a better detailing.

DSC05666.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot, I usually mount the rear of each side on the fuselage before closing the fuselage when the pieces come apart (Hasegawa) to avoid problems on the joint. I usually do well in the splice wings, too.  I'm use to first glue the wing top to the fuselage, then after add some reinforcement in the inside and then glue the wing bottom....This leaves the wing's joint smooth and without defects or cracks, and does not allow the wing to separate more from the fuselage.

DSC05637.jpg

Sorry by the slow pace. is that my job is leaving me little time for the kits. But I'm doing my best. :rolleyes:
In the next post, the fuselage....

Looking good, Paulo.  All those add-ons will keep you busy!

I first need to made some copies of the resin parts to use in other 3 würgers that I have in my stash.... :stirthepot:

Nice Start, Paulo!

Congrats,

Jamme

Thanks, Jamme!

Hi Paulo, great to see that you've made a start on this complex project. Not many of the original parts left!

Nice work on the riveting!

cheers

Tim

Thanks! When I started doing the riveting whenever the ruler have slipping or the tool keep sliding. Then the result was a line crooked. Then I started scratching lines with pencil and run the tool at Freehand. this method, although it requires a steady hand and a little patience, allows me to better control the work, and the results have greatly improved.

Thats my build ;)

Congratulations! It was my inspiration for many years! I hope that I can do my one at least a little like your one... :unworthy:

• 1 month later...

Hi, Friends.

After some time copying the giant set to the future, I started to mount the resin parts on the kit.

I started with the radio and fuel compartment.

Here, some pics:

DSC05675.jpg

DSC05676.jpg

DSC05677.jpg

DSC05678.jpg

Here some details of the work.

To made the rough surface of the fuel tank I coated the part with dissolved putty with a hard brush. Then I painted with 3 tones of black, to add light effects. The belts was panted with titaniun gold and then wheatered with betum.

DSC05682.jpg

The lower port, in the late time of the war was usually made by wood, so I printed a homemade decal and aplyed over the hatch. Then I added some scrap paint to add a dirty look. I hope that I not exaggerated....

DSC05684.jpg

Then the cables and wires:

DSC05683.jpg

Here the wings with the gear bay and the gun bays alligned.

DSC05679.jpg

DSC05680.jpg

When I was riveting te lower wing I brokened a part of the wing, and I decide to put it in some box or else, to avoid  to lost the piece. But now I could not find when I placed the damm part. If I colud not find, I will do it by scratch...

DSC05681.jpg

Comments and crticism it will be very useful..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, I finally went to correct the interior paint...

I made some research and I think I found the actual color of the interior of the fuselage. According to some photos I found and confirmed in the book "Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935 45", the correct color would be a golden fainted as the interior was painted with an electrostatic corrosion protection, which made the finish look like the interior of tin cans.

Extracted from the book:

Interior areas   such as  wings and tailplanes were  given an electro­ plated finish  which produced a very high quality anticorrosive surface, a golden metalic sheen  very similar to that  seen   inside  some processed food · cans.  
Interior  wooden compo­ nents   were  painted  with   a  special finish  which had  an identifying color of  pale  Yellow-Green 99 when  used with   one  paint   formula, and  a  very pale  yellow tinge when  used  with another  paint   formula. (GAM  169.)

Here, some FW190 colored pictures:

FW190D-09-1.jpg

FW190D-10.jpg

FW190A-185.jpg

FW190D-62.jpg

FW190D-09.jpg

So, I repainted the interior :

DSC05685.jpg

DSC05686.jpg

DSC05687.jpg

DSC05688.jpg

The cockpit:

DSC05690.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

Fuselage glued:

DSC05700.jpg

DSC05703.jpg

DSC05701.jpg

DSC05704.jpg

DSC05705.jpg

DSC05706.jpg

DSC05707.jpg

The sad thing is that a few of the interior appears after the fuselage was closed.

Now I'm trying to make my own belts type "R&B" made with fabric. As soon as I get a good result, I will post pics ...

I will made the kit at time....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimmydel

Paulo, great looking work so far. I really love those Flying Circus birds. May I ask a question about the masking? Do they provide masking for the stripes on the underside...or are you going to have to wing it on your own...pardon the pun.

Masking those stripes is what causes me some anxiousness about tackling my own build of one of these.

Paulo, great looking work so far. I really love those Flying Circus birds. May I ask a question about the masking? Do they provide masking for the stripes on the underside...or are you going to have to wing it on your own...pardon the pun.

Masking those stripes is what causes me some anxiousness about tackling my own build of one of these.

Thanks for your kind words!

About the masking, Montex do not suply any type of masking for the stripes.

But I have a lot of choices to do it.

-I can use the decals provided with the kit... :thumbsdown:

-I can do as every modeler do and paint the red, mask with tamiya masking tape, and then paint the white... :huh:

-Or I could paint the entire lower surface with white, then mask the white stripes with a thin masking tape, then paint the red parts...

I prefer the last one. :)

Oh, after a long research in all the boxes, pots, drawers, etc. in my workbench, followed by  a huge cleaning of the room, I finally found the lost part! The evil plastic part was dragged to the floor down of the sofa by the floor monster. From time to time, we can win a battle against him. :2guns:

Mi wife loved the room after that....

Soon, updates.

• Like 1

Guest jimmydel

Ahh...thanks for the reply, sir. I had done some looking into other builds and found that the 3mm Tamiya tape is usually the go to. With the decals from the kit I'd be worried about transparency, and getting them straight....I'm a little obsessive about symmetry. Lol

Glad you found the part too...always feel good to slay the carpet monster...if only temporarily.

Ahh...thanks for the reply, sir. I had done some looking into other builds and found that the 3mm Tamiya tape is usually the go to. With the decals from the kit I'd be worried about transparency, and getting them straight....I'm a little obsessive about symmetry. Lol

Glad you found the part too...always feel good to slay the carpet monster...if only temporarily.

The weird thing in this specific case, is that simmetry is not useful. In the book "Doras of the Galland circus", from jerry Crandall, by Eagle Books, he mention that the white stripes of the birds of squadron are not all with the same size and are absolutely not apllied simetrically. The pictures of the doras, show that their stripes are aplied randomicly.

I recomend tou you to find some references or pictures of the plane that tou intend to do, to made it historically acurated.

I made a extensive research, and if you fell that need some help, just ask. I'm not the expert in Luftwaffe, but if I could not help, the masters of the LSM would do it, for sure.

• Like 1