The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-43-II Oscar

oddmanrush

Hi all! I'm pretty excited for this group build as I can't think of the last GB that I actually participated in...or at least finished.

My offering is the nice kit from Hasegawa that I purchased cheap at some show several years ago. Been waiting for a moment like this to break it out.

Started with the 'pit, as usual, and its the perfect candidate for some scratch building so that is what I did.

hasegawa_Oscar_cockpitII_zps683926b6.jpg

Just one picture, but that shows the extent of the work so far. The pedals were hollowed out and straps added with blue masking tape. Then the assortment of cables and wires were run throughout the cockpit.

Still more scratch work to be done.

Comments and criticism is certainly welcome!

• Like 2

Nice one. What colourscheme will you do? I was going to suggest North Korean or French, but those may fall a little outside the bounds of the rules. You could still do Thai or Chinese though :)

Thank you all! 

Brad, these are the three schemes I was deciding over...

alloscars_zps8131d7ff.jpg

Not out of the ordinary like Thai or Chinese. I really like the first one, with the blue tail, so that will likely be what I go with.

I was going to have an update tonight but I got side tracked watching the movie "The Raid". Quite the action movie, that one.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

An update has been a long time coming! I had to get a few other projects out of the way before I could return to this one full time. The interior finally got painted. Normally I use hand brushes to paint the interior as I don't feel like breaking out the AB just to paint such a tiny surface area. This time I changed my mind and went ahead with the airbrush. This was taken after the wash was still fresh...

oscar_zps8c763e62.jpg

So with that, I'm back in business with the Oscar and should be updating here more often! Thanks for looking, carry on!

• Like 1

Thanks Erik, I painted the bezels a slightly lighter shade of gray than the rest of the IP so they'd stand out a bit better. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go all out and use white. On the other hand, its so difficult to see inside an Oscar's cockpit I may lighten everything up so its easier to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Gettin' some work done on her, slowly but surely...

ki-43_zps2e9afaa3.jpg

ki-43_ii_zpsac94d56a.jpg

ki-43_iii_zps5f2fa57f.jpg

ki-43_iv_zps73e8c438.jpg

ki-43_v_zps72b99bce.jpg

That's about it. I'm having a lot of fun with this one. All of the markings so far have been painted, not decals, which is a first for me but the kit didn't come with markings that I was interested in. My paint work isn't perfect but it works for me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed.  I like the Hayabusa and it's been a long time since I've seen anyone build the kit.  Yours is looking very nice and the hand painted markings will make it all the better!  I'm waiting on word from the admin about joining the group build with my N1K2-J and I hope they'll let me in (I started building the kit before I joined this community so before I can join in with that kit I had to ask some pertinent questions)