The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Der Würger... Fw 190 A-8 JG5 White 10

repeater

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All! 

More painting... including a first coat of the mottling.. will do another coat later.   And.. a final coat for the wings..  (to even things out a bit more) .. looking at the pics, the demarcation lines look overdone. 

I've been looking at reference pics - as always the challenge is 'interpreting' grainy black and white pics and looking at conflicting painting guides (particularly for mottling) etc.   But there doesn't seem any disagreement that this aircraft is the standard RLM 74/75/76?

One thing I've noticed looking at some of the different Luftwaffe builds out there, and the profile pic I posted at the start of the thread, seems to be a difference in the interpretation of RLM 74 Gray Green -  in some cases, it seems more 'green' and others far more 'gray', obviously different paint manufacturers will have different hue,  but to me it significantly changes the overall look.    eg.  the profile of Artner's aircraft for this build - is very much grey tones.. but my build will definitely have more green based tone for RLM74 - I'm using Mr.Color paints.  

Anyways.. on to the progress pics.. 

IMG_7396_zps56362376.jpg

IMG_7402_zps47a1f0ca.jpg

All comments welcome! 

Cheers, Tim 

• Like 1

Very tidy build, getting close to paint...

One tiny thing if you want to be more accurate, the belts are fixed to the edge of the rear decking above the seat... two little metal loops held the end parts of the belts... It's only a minor thing and won't detract from the finished thing...

I'll find a photo if you want..

Matt

*Cough!*

P1010298.jpg

:)

BTW, I like your paintjob, Tim. The camouflage on the wings looks suitably motley and the mottling on the fuselage looks fine and restrained. I hope my mottling will turn out as good when I have to apply it!

Cheers,

Erik.

Edited by Erik B.
Forgot my comments!!
  • Like 2

Thanks Jamme and Erik - much appreciated! I think that subtlety is always the key.

Thanks for the pic Erik - that makes it nice and clear. Also I can see.. Hmm.. My harness staps are waaay too long.. will need to address that for the next build.

Hello Tim:  nice to see another Butcher Bird progressing.  Agree with your obbservations regarding the grey/green tonal differences.  Guess it gives us all some room to play.  More power to the Warsteiner technique!!  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback!  :)   It really helps keep things moving. 

Grant -  thanks for the feedback - it's slowly progressing.  Looking forward to your progress on the 1/24 airfix kit.. what a beast!

Ralph -  thanks for dropping by.. agree this gives us room to play .. I suppose if everything was 100% known, all our builds would look the same.. now that would be dull!   The underlying philosophy of the Warsteiner approach:  get the balance right between 'science' (ie. accurate replica)  and 'art'  (ie. something pleasing to the eye)..  I've got a 1/48 F-15E on the bench, in overall gunship grey.. not much art required there.. and not half as enjoyable as a Luftwaffe scheme.. 

Steve - thanks for the link! Much appreciated... this is new information to me..  I'm slowly filling in the gaps.. 

cheers, 

Tim

Mottling, ID bands etc complete.    There was a tiny smidgen of yellow overspray  (underside) that I cleaned up after the pics were taken.

I foolishly cleaned up the panel lines on the bottom of the cowl/fuselage join..  hence the dodgy demarcation curve.

Ready for gloss coat.. !

IMG_7453_zps9ef2a666.jpg

IMG_7469_zps2ec457af.jpg

IMG_7462_zpsab3e9100.jpg

IMG_7465_zpse0c1ca79.jpg

All comments and criticism are welcome.  :)

Cheers, Tim 
  • Like 2

Hello Tim.

Following your progress with great interest.

Can wait to see the weathering.

Cheers,

Jamme

Thanks Jamme!  :)    getting closer to weathering now..  plan is for filter,  oil dot fading (something new for me); and pastels. 

Gloss coat (future) and decals applied.    I used the Hasegawa kit decals which went on reasonably ok with Mr. Mark Softer.   Some very minor silvering which I fixed after these pics  (also added the werk nbrs) 

IMG_7486_zps5df1791d.jpg

IMG_7488_zps81cf1610.jpg

IMG_7480_zpsba9e4fd7.jpg

I'm unclear if the 'Eismeer' badge marking was actually applied on both sides  !?! Same for the victory markings on the fin. 

All comments, feedback welcome! 

• Like 3

Tim,

You Wuger is looking fantastic! Love your mottling too! Job well done!

That is looking sweet, Tim!  Really a striking paint scheme.

Thanks Dave..Mike...   hope to meet your Focke's soon..  subtle hint!     :)   :D

Actually .. if anyone is interested (!)   my airbrushing approach is fairly basic.. I paint fairly thin and gradually build it up - I find this gives the best control. Nice and simple for someone like me with the artistic talent of a housebrick.   I have a Mr. Hobby  'Mr. Linear Compressor L7'  and 'Mr. Procon Boy' dual-action trigger style airbrush.  Once again... fairly simple and compact. 

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks Dave..Mike...   hope to meet your Focke's soon..  subtle hint!     :)   :D

Actually .. if anyone is interested (!)   my airbrushing approach is fairly basic.. I paint fairly thin and gradually build it up - I find this gives the best control. Nice and simple for someone like me with the artistic talent of a housebrick.   I have a Mr. Hobby  'Mr. Linear Compressor L7'  and 'Mr. Procon Boy' dual-action trigger style airbrush.  Once again... fairly simple and compact. 

Second iteration of the D-13 is in progress, hope to get some pics up this weekend.

• Like 1

Second iteration of the D-13 is in progress, hope to get some pics up this weekend.

I will be getting onto mine in the next couple of weeks... As I am just about to finish up a few 109's and another Endecker..

I'm looking forward to them.

Yeh.. as soon as this build is complete I gotta get cracking on the RAAF Spitfire for the Pacific War GB..

• Like 1

Most of the weathering is complete..   now ready for the flat coat, removing the masking on the canopy, adding the aerial wire etc. Home stretch! 

I've kept it fairly restrained (I think!?)   and decided against the oil dot fading (mainly in the interest of time.  I will definitely try it on the P-40M for the Pacific War GB).

Weathering approach for this build is:

- oil filter/wash of brown/paynes gray artist's paints

- post-shading of redbrown/black mix 

- pastels applied on the underside

- exhaust stains with redbrown/black mix followed by Tamiya smoke   (probably wrong - should be darker methinks. Might fix this). 

- various oil stains, etc with dark wash 

- undercarriage was weathered with Mig Oil & Grease stain mixture

- wheels weathered with Mig Russian Earth 

- red primer spots made with artist's oil paint

Now for some pics! 

IMG_7676_zps354a12ba.jpg

IMG_7657_zpse4a14f2f.jpg

IMG_7671_zps5c93d04a.jpg

IMG_7668_zps4cbb1480.jpg

IMG_7664_zps365c9d3e.jpg

IMG_7663_zps6829dc09.jpg

All feedback - comments, criticism is welcome. 

Thanks for looking.   :)

Tim

• Like 2