The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fw 190D-9, JV 44, "Red 1" (1/32 Hasegawa)

Mikester

• Members

Since I already had some preliminary work on the first attempt at the D-13 (now on the Shelf of Doom) I decided I might as well use that as a jump start for another Dora, Heinz "Heino" Sachsenberg's "Red 1" of JV 44.

red1jv44_zps35ef5521.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-JV44-Red-1-Heiz-Sach

I'll be using the following A/M:

• EagleParts cowl cover
  • EagleParts cowl ring
  • Quickboost guns
  • Quickboost exhausts
  • Eduard instrument panel
  • Finemolds seat belts
  • Montex masks

Should have some progress photos soon.

• Like 2

• Members

Nice! It's the same plane that I will do! Let's follow your work.... ;)

Paulo,

I thought you were doing "Red 1"!  "Red 1" was actually my first choice but I thought It would be more interesting to have a different aircraft so I'll change mine.

• Members

It did indeed, lol!  I thought Paulo was going to do "Red 1" which is what I wanted to do initially but didn't want to do something somebody else was doing so I thought I'd do "Red 13" instead.  Turns out Paulo was doing "Red 13" after all so I'm doing "Red 1".  Is that confusing enough? ;)

If we get someone to do "Red 3" we'll have the whole ("Red 2" not withstanding) schwarm!

Yes, My plane will be Red13. I decided not to build Red1 becuse this plane have a lot of wheatering, and I not sure that I can do it with a minimun of quality. And as red13 have some partucularities, like the wooden Flaps(I will made them by scratch), it's my choice. But if you decides to do the red13 too, I will not complain of it. But really it's nice to have in the GB all the 4 planes of the squadron. So, whatever plane you decide to do, I wish to you a good job!

• Like 2

• Members

Got some work done "Sell my clothes I'm going to Heaven!" over the weekend as well.

I like the pre-painted Eduard stuff, but I never liked the way the color didn't match the rest of the cockpit.  Sooooo, using some Mr. Masking Sol I carefully masked off the printed areas on the IP and the sprayed it with Mr. Color RLM 66 to match the rest of the cockpit.  The bezels were provided as separate parts so that was no problem, I like the way this came out and it blends well with the rest of the cockpit.

010_zpsa3ad779b.jpg

018_zps0704abc5.jpg

016_zpsde0141da.jpg

The engine plug:

013_zpseb2fc2be.jpg

• Like 2

Good work on the instrument panel. I've never liked the pre painted stuff, it always looks printed and as you say, the colour never matches, but what you've done makes the thing look fantastic.

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks, guys!

Great start Mike. I agree with Brad - excellent work on the cockpit and integrating the PE very nicely indeed!

Those are finemolds belts? (as you mentioned). Looks good.

Tim

Tim, yup, the seatbelts are Finemolds with some decals from the spares bin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well time to install the EagleParts cowl cover, the instructions advertised this as a "drop in" replacement, it was bit more complicated than that for me, your mileage may vary.  According to Vol. 2 of Jerry Crandall's book on the Dora 9 the cowl on this aircraft was devoid of bumps so they were all removed.

001_zps4f60fbe8.jpg

And the finished product as well as the EagleParts cowl ring.  Some filling and blending was required to get it up to speed.  In lieu of the panel line I've used Archer Fine Transfers raised panel line decals, this was a piano hinge anyway so would have stood proud of the sheet metal on the cowl.

002_zps9bbd90f6.jpg

003_zps952eb366.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just about ready for some paint, I have really been a slug lately, need to pick up the pace a bit!

002_zps774db192.jpg

001_zpsbce3782c.jpg

And the wheel bays, really didn't realize how much of the engine bay could be seen, wish I would have busied it up a bit more.

003_zpsc4708e7b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Paint is applied, pretty happy with the way everything came out considering the amount of masking and complexity of the scheme.  Will start decaling tomorrow after the Future has set up a bit.

And don't adjust the color on your monitor, that is indeed 74/75 on the wings and horizontal stabs.  This is a departure from the norm based on Vol. 2  of Jerry Crandall's book on the Dora.

003_zps5c06216c.jpg

001_zps937377fe.jpg

002_zpsbed7dda5.jpg

005_zpse0ed514f.jpg

• Like 3

• Members

Getting close to the finish line.  Panel line wash (W&N Raw Umber thinned with mineral spirits) and flat coat applied.  Not really happy with the wing root chipping, I used Mr. Masking Sol, should have just gone with the salt method. I had to use the kit decal for the slogan on the side, unfortunately Hasegawa didn't get it completely correct but I wasn't going to shell out the money for the EagleCals set just for that one decal.

001_zpsefb2cc81.jpg

004_zpscbadd8ea.jpg

002_zps6f8b1402.jpg

003_zps0c5f4c5f.jpg

Here's the final take on the canopy chipping, masked with Silly Putty and augmented with salt around the edges.

005_zps33be3bc0.jpg

Landing gear and propeller:

006_zps55816ee4.jpg

007_zpsdd194fcc.jpg

• Like 3