The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eastern Front Armored GB. Barbarossa to Citadel

Paulster

This GB will commence on April 1, 2014 and last for 6 month, September 30, 2014. Here are the guide lines. 

1) Have fun.

2) Time frame covered will be June 22, 1941 till July 16, 1943. Operation Barbarossa to Operation Citadel.

3) ​LSM scale guidelines. 1/35 and larger. 

4) Ground equipment and water craft only. So put those Stuka's away for this one.

5) Figures, diorama's and vignettes welcome.

6) Lend Lease equipment used during the time frame acceptable.

7) Please be sure your choice of build was used during the dates. A T-34/85 is a no-no.

8) Soft-skin and equestrian also permitted.

9) Figures and equipment used by the German allies also acceptable. i.e.-Italy, Finland, Romania, Hungary, Croatia and Slovakia.

10) Admin has the right to change guidelines as they seem fit.

If you are not sure if your idea fits the parameters, please ask. Remember to have fun and build on!

• Like 2

This GB will commence on April 1, 2014 and last for 6 month, September 30, 2014. Here are the guide lines. 

1) Have fun.

2) Time frame covered will be June 22, 1941 till July 16, 1943. Operation Barbarossa to Operation Citadel.

3) ​LSM scale guidelines. 1/35 and larger. 

4) Ground equipment and water craft only. So put those Stuka's away for this one.

5) Figures, diorama's and vignettes welcome.

6) Lend Lease equipment used during the time frame acceptable.

7) Please be sure your choice of build was used during the dates. A T-34/85 is a no-no.

8) Soft-skin and equestrian also permitted.

9) Figures and equipment used by the German allies also acceptable. i.e.-Italy, Finland, Romania, Hungary, Croatia and Slovakia.

10) Admin has the right to change guidelines as they seem fit.

If you are not sure if your idea fits the parameters, please ask. Remember to have fun and build on!

Okay okay okay... I'll hold the Stuka's back.... ;)

Are the Panther D and Sturmpanzer IV eligible? IIRC were these vehicles introduced during Zitadelle? Although they were on route to the front quite some time prior to that...! :)

Yes to both Erik. 842 Aufs. D's were produced from January to September 1943. It had a very auspicious combat debut at Kursk. 42 Sturmpanzer IV's participated in Operation Citadel attached to the 216th Self Propelled Battalion.

Dear readers, participants of this GB.

I hope that this GB will not only yield models of the usuals suspects: Germans and T-34's.... I think it would be nice to see a lot of Soviet vehicles; BT-7, T-26, KV-1, KV-II, self propelled and towed artillery... And let's not forget the Lend-Lease vehicles: Shermans, Valentines, Churchills, M3 Mediums, M3 Light tanks, Matildas....

I hope to participate with Trumpeter's KV-II + Lion-Roar set.

Edit: I'm not the "leader" of this GB so please see the above as just my humble personal wish. Don't let me dissuade you from building a Tiger or so if that's what you really want! ;)

Edited by Erik B.
To make sure that it's just my personal wish
  • Like 1

Would it be to much of a hassle to ask for a list of eligible subjects? I would have no clue what what was used, since Stukas, 109's are out of the mix ;)

lol Dave ... definately no Bi/Tri planes (So WNW is out!)... Ground gear only as per point 4 ... other than that, there is a HUGE list ... multiple nations with multiple variants of multiple vehicles ... with more than half my "Kursk" diorama set out, I could enter a build if I was inclined I suppose, but I'll probably stick to my NPB (Nil Public Build) policy :)

Rog :)

Would it be to much of a hassle to ask for a list of eligible subjects? I would have no clue what what was used, since Stukas, 109's are out of the mix ;)

Actually, it is quite a hassle.... If you see how many vehicles and sub-variants were used by all parties.... That's quite mind-boggling!

• Members

Given the astounding variety of vehicles used that would be some work, Dave.  Being terminally lazy that's more work that I'm willing to do!  I'd say Google is your friend and when all else fails just ask here.  I used to do a lot of WW2 wargaming so I'm pretty familiar with vehicles and when they were used.

A little list of eligible Soviet-built tanks:

- T-26 light tank

T_26M33_2.jpg

- T-28 medium tank

Fin-T28-JanneTirkkonen.jpg

- T-35 heavy tank

SBX23b.jpg

- KV-1 heavy tank

%D0%9A%D0%92-1_%D1%83_%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BE

- KV-2 heavy assault tank

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-209-0091-11%2C_Ru

- BT-5 light tank

3507.gif.jpg

- BT-7 light tank

header_35309.jpg

- T-34/76 medium tank

t34_76c.jpg

- T-38 light amphibious tank

800px-T-38_tank.JPG

- T-50 licht infantry tank

800px-T50_parola_1.jpg

- T-60 light reconnaissance tank

800px-T-60_Kubinka.jpg

- T-70 light tank

t-70-light-tank-05.jpg

Cheers Erik! That gives me a few options!

... and that's just the Soviets Dave!!! ... Pz Mk.I, II, III, IV, V (Panther), VI (Tiger) were all available and used in that period in various guises as were the 35(t) and 38(t) ... Assault guns (StuGs), PaK, FlaK ... Pz Spah (Recon) cars of various shapes and sizes ... good Lord, the list goes on!

With whats available during that period - practically any German or Axis vehicle could be used, with a few notable exceptons ... and as mentioned previously - a whole batch of Allied lend-lease stuff in the bargain! ...

My personal favorite, though would have to be the Pz.Kpfw.Mk.III chassis ... pick your Ausf. !!! lol :D

Rog :)

Some options for those wanting to build a Soviet Lend-Lease AFV:

-Tank, Infantry, Mk. II, Matilda III / IV.

matilda_31.jpg

-Tank, Infantry, Mk. III, Valentine II / IV / V / VII / IX.

valentine3_11.jpg

-Tank, Infantry, Mk. IV, Churchill III / IV.

churchil_5.jpg

-Universal Carrier.

bren_kursk_0101.jpg

bren_gun_carrier.jpg

-U.S. Light tank M3 / M3A1.

M3_General_Stuart.jpg

-U.S. Medium tank M3 / M3A1 / M3A2 "General Lee".

M3A3.jpg

grant_21.jpg

-U.S. Medium tank M4A2 (75mm only, in the scope of the GB).

Soviet-Emcha-02.jpg

Soviet-Emcha-01.jpg

-M31 ARV.

M31ARV.jpg

-M3 / M5 Halftrack family.

M5_wZIS_small.jpg

Among which:

-37mm A.A. Gun Motor Carriage M15A1.

M15A1MultipleGMCWarEaglesJune200623.jpg

-57mm A.T. Gun Motor Carriage T48.

MWP_BTR.JPG

-M2 / M9 Halftrack

m2halftrack.jpg

-M3A1 White Scout Car

WW2_Russia_AFV_white_Scout_11.jpg

intro02.jpg

whitem3a1.jpg

I have a Lion Roar set on the way too... Any other items that would be recommended... New Tracks???

I may even throw in a T-34/76 if I get time!

The link and length tracks are not that bad in this kit. They even have a little sag on the upper parts. But……when it comes to Russian WWII stuff, I'm a push over for the Fruils.

As Erik mentioned the Sherman (A2 75mm) there is also a variant of the M4M where the Russians mounted their F-34 76.2mm gun. This was short lived when the Russians realized that there would never be a shortage of 75mm ammunition.

Dear readers, participants of this GB.

I hope that this GB will not only yield models of the usuals suspects: Germans and T-34's.... I think it would be nice to see a lot of Soviet vehicles; BT-7, T-26, KV-1, KV-II, self propelled and towed artillery... And let's not forget the Lend-Lease vehicles: Shermans, Valentines, Churchills, M3 Mediums, M3 Light tanks, Matildas....

I hope to participate with Trumpeter's KV-II + Lion-Roar set.

Edit: I'm not the "leader" of this GB so please see the above as just my humble personal wish. Don't let me dissuade you from building a Tiger or so if that's what you really want! ;)

What he said. Variety is the spice of life in this GB. With the quagmire of humanity and equipment expended during this time frame and remote location of the planet, the possibilities are abundant. But still, there are some limitations. If there are any questions, please ask me. While I am no "expert", I have the resources and the time (I'm a "Mr. Mom") to research.

• Like 1

Looking at building a Matilda tank for this. These were built at the factory about 1/2 mile from me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horwich_Works

Are there any kits that have Eastern Front schemes, that anyone knows of?

Tamiya makes the Mk. III/IV with three NA schemes, and there is at least one aftermarket markings option available for Soviet schemes:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ech352018.htm

• Members

I'll be doing a Kharkov diorama using Tamiya's Early Production Tiger and possibly a Schwimmenwagen.  This picture is unfortunately very small but conveys roughly what I want to do.

imagesCAJQ1EKB_zps097cf97a.jpg

The scene will depict a Tiger from "Totenkopf" in Chuguyev on 13 March 43 after it completed its wide sweep north of Kharkov.  A command group will be positioned in front of the tank planning the attack that punched south and eastwards to link up with the 6th Panzer Division.  The Tiger crew will be out of the vehicle and a couple of grenadiers hitching a ride will be on the rear deck.  A schwimmenwagen with a couple of passengers may be parked behind the tank as well.  I'll definitely be busy painting some figures!

• Like 2