The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya P-51K/D

PTW6187

Sorry that I havent posted much this past couple of weeks. I got a real neat gift from my grand daughters and have been down with it for the last two weeks. My head feels like I am at 30,000 feet and I just lost cabin pressure, Any wya, here is my offering for the GB here.

Tamiyas P-51K.

IMG_3812-Copy_zpsaec791f2.jpg

Its going to be mostly oob with the exception od the prop which will be a Quickboost resin cuff less prop. This kit has three choices in the box to include an F-6 from Bhurma, the K from the PI and a D from Iwo.

I started the engine last night and had to knock off because of me being a sickly sort. So I knocked out more this afternoon.

IMG_3884_zps4c7fe7bd.jpg

IMG_3885_zps7ee7da13.jpg

Ill post more later tomoirrow if I get functional again.

Cheers

Paul

nothing yet but it will be one of three pac squadrons that were in the kit. Ill see how these new Tamiya decals fare.

Good luck with that Paul. If I've heard of one short coming with the Tamiya kits, it's the decals.

• Like 1

Good luck with that Paul. If I've heard of one short coming with the Tamiya kits, it's the decals.

I must admit that I used to hate Tamiya Decals... But I have found a way to get them sit down nicely with a good gloss and some heat from the hairdryer.

• Like 1

I must admit that I used to hate Tamiya Decals... But I have found a way to get them sit down nicely with a good gloss and some heat from the hairdryer.

Heard that. But for what you pay for a kit and how well everything else is, this part is puzzling.

So now I have some paint on the engine and let me tell you that even though its a Merlin it doesn't assemble exactly like the on in the Spitfires do. All I can say is really look at the sprue numbers carefully.

IMG_3887_zpsdd8d1244.jpg

the intake plenum on the Spit has its mounting brackets lower than the Mustang and it had two holes for the locator pins. Its best to look first instead of just jumping the gun and using the wrong plenum. This is because the header tank and fire wall mount to it and the ip mounts directly to that sub assembly.

IMG_3890_zpse6501c93.jpg

IMG_3892_zpsf560c7ed.jpg

I did, however, get the ip just about right. its a decal that fits reverse to the back od the3 clear part which makes up the instrument lenses.

I really like the reliefs in the molding, nice and high but not too high as to make it look like a toy.

IMG_3895_zps39d8d9ea.jpg

IMG_3896_zps39aaaaf3.jpg

The reason why the top gauges look as if they are fogged its because there is nothing behind them to block the light until its installed in the fuselage.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not a problem Paul, I am attempting to replicate Preddy's Cripes A'Mighty 3rd.  I have that Trumpy TBF Turkey but I was kind of saving that for an idea I had later but that may have to wait because I am chompin at the bit to get into that one.