The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Marseille, The Star of Africa. Bf109 F-4Trop, W.Nr. 10137

Dave J

Time for my favourite part! Painting!

Panel lines have been pre-shaded using Flat Black...

_DSC4222.jpg

_DSC4226.jpg

First Top coat on.... I will start giving it different tones to break up surface...

_DSC4228.jpg

I just love this build and it's a mini tutorial. I learned a lot just from this so far. Great job. I like the use of the oils on the spinner, that is superb. I have a question. Since I have a set of tube acrylic paints, like oils, can these be used to do this also? I have oils too, but can the same kind of work be done with acrylics?

Paul

I love the use of the oils on the spinner too - I wonder whether, if they're so dilute, after applying a bead of the mixture you could use the air from an airbrush to mimic the airflow of flight and get the oil trails like that. 

• Like 1

Will the RLM 79 now dry, its time to mask off the fuse line for the RLM 78... Looking at period photos of Marsille's 109 the line appears to be Semi-hard line... So I used Bluetak rolled out into thin sausage's that were the length of the fuse...

_DSC4229.jpg

Then I used a length of a piece of paper and applied it to the Bluetak to mask off the upper surface so it was a few millimetres away from the surface.

_DSC4230.jpg

Then I sprayed the RLM 78 downward from the paper which created a semi-hard mask line...

_DSC4231.jpg

_DSC4232.jpg

Close up...

_DSC4233.jpg

Lower surfaces were painted at the same time... The Black preshading breaks up the solid RLM 78. I will misted a lighter shade to break it even more.

_DSC4235.jpg

_DSC4236.jpg

And of course after adding some colour I find some areas that I am not happy with... I still have a seam line showing on the cowl insert and I am not totally happy with the panel lines around the MG trench..

_DSC4234.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Nick!

So its moving a long quite nicely.... so before hitting the sack for the evening, I quickly sprayed the white ID markings... Areas were masked off with Tamiya Tape...

_DSC4237.jpg

_DSC4240.jpg

Removing the tape, pulled up a couple of small areas of paint... a paint in the ass... but an easy fix!

_DSC4241.jpg

_DSC4243.jpg

Shame about the peeling Dave ... Wonder if you could make feature of it.... maybe a replace patch or something. Super stuff as always Dave and the upper to lower blend line is superb.

• 2 months later...

Hello Dave:  nice to see that others have found certain parts of the kit challenging.  Cowl seams indeed...

Can I ask about pigments?  I've tried them afew times, but always lose the effects when I mist on a flat coat.  Have tried Testors Dullcote, Gunze acrylic flat, Vallejo flat varnish, and Tamiya XF-86 acrylic (don't like it at all) - somly to avoid handling issues and unwanted fingerprints.  Do you seal your pigments?

I like the paper mask idea.  I find that tearing the paper along a steel ruler can give an even, but irregular edge.  Here's what it looks like on Tamiya's 48th scale He162.

He162S_zps36c2582b.jpg

Looking forward to more of your Friedrich.  Cheers, Ralph.

• Like 2

So between waiting for things to set/dry on the B-17... I picked up the one'o'nine again...

So a had a small amount of paint lift up from spraying some colour... I gave it a light sand with some 2000 grit paper to smooth it off, so its ready for touch ups...

DSC00320.jpg

I though that I had the seams on the the cowl sorted... but it appears not! The offending area was masked off with some Tamiya Tape and putty covered over that damn

seam!

DSC00319.jpg

The Radiator Cowl flaps have been glued into place... There were some sink marks that had to be dealt with too...

DSC00318.jpg

Hello Dave:  nice to see that others have found certain parts of the kit challenging.  Cowl seams indeed...

Can I ask about pigments?  I've tried them afew times, but always lose the effects when I mist on a flat coat.  Have tried Testors Dullcote, Gunze acrylic flat, Vallejo flat varnish, and Tamiya XF-86 acrylic (don't like it at all) - somly to avoid handling issues and unwanted fingerprints.  Do you seal your pigments?

I like the paper mask idea.  I find that tearing the paper along a steel ruler can give an even, but irregular edge.  Here's what it looks like on Tamiya's 48th scale He162.

He162S_zps36c2582b.jpg

a He 162A-1/Trop.!!!! :o

Guest styrenedemon

Looking great, Dave. Did you use Tamiya putty on that seam originally? I've noticed that stuff will continue to shrink for months. I've had areas that were perfect when the model was completed only to find them with problems like that weeks later. That's why I've trashed my Tamiya stuff and moved to auto filler. You might give that a try. On top of no shrinkage it's sands so much easier. I can gate off a seam with tape fill and when it dries sand it down flush before the sanding ever touches the surface detail.

• Members

Looking great, Dave. Did you use Tamiya putty on that seam originally? I've noticed that stuff will continue to shrink for months. I've had areas that were perfect when the model was completed only to find them with problems like that weeks later. That's why I've trashed my Tamiya stuff and moved to auto filler. You might give that a try. On top of no shrinkage it's sands so much easier. I can gate off a seam with tape fill and when it dries sand it down flush before the sanding ever touches the surface detail.

Have you tried their Light Curing Putty?  It's outstanding and have never had a problem with shrinkage.

Yea I did use Tamiya Putty.... Maybe that is my issue indeed...

Have you tried their Light Curing Putty?  It's outstanding and have never had a problem with shrinkage.

I have a tube of that... I should use it more often.

Sorry Ralph, I missed your post the other day....

Yes indeed that, seam always gives me issues!

Yes I do seal my pigments... I use Alclad Klears to finish off my builds. Sometimes I do retouch the pigments afterwards.

Nice idea on the paper... I will give that a go one next time!

So the touch ups have been done.. and while I was at it, I misted lighter colours over the airframe to tone them down.

DSC00321.jpg

Upper surface had a few drops of white mixed in with the RLM 79

DSC00322.jpg

Where the lower surfaces had white from the jar misted on the RLM 78

DSC00323.jpg

radiator flaps were masked off and RLM 02 was sprayed

DSC00325.jpg

So this is moving along nicely now... I was looking at the photos reference photos and I was surprised the amount of stencils that were present on the airframe.... So I have gone and added all of the to the model...

DSC00394-1.jpg

Now its all glossed up ready for a wash and weathering...

• Like 1