The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Styer RSO/1 Battle Tractor with anti tank gun - Completed.

BradG

Okay, really, really fast: a croquette or more commonly "kroket" is also a fried snack, world famous in Holland. Van Dobben is the trade-mark of a producer of high-quality croquettes. McDonald's even has a croquette-burger; the McKroket!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

And now back to our regularly scheduled program; the Steyr Raupenschlepper Ost! Sorry for the hijack, Brad!

Yeh you're probably right Paul. As I'm putting a lot of stuff in the back you're going to see the tracks get a little lose on the suspension. Although it won't be lowered on the suspesion it should give the same effect at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some paint on the interior and picked out what details there are (mind you there isn't much in the real thing either but for some basic controls). I ended up snapping the bloody rear cab section in half (don't ask) so that's gunna take some more sanding. The break can be seen on the top right side of the door frame. The doors don't fit well either and I'm not sure why so I'll leave them open a little.

P1010005_zpsbea99c4e.jpg

Ok, damage repaired and it's back to the paint shop. Putting yellow over green plastic is a real paint and it took a good amount of H303 to cover. I didn't paint the track wheels as I was handling the kit by them.

P1010008_zps10039c81.jpg

P1010007_zps202a7e5b.jpg

Camo added. It's a bit rough, but I'm not too worried. As you can see from the colour picture, these things were not exactly perfectly painted. I sometimes laugh when people talk about getting the paint on their tanks perfect, because in reality, it was anything but! Next up some weather, my favourite part.

P1010011_zpsa7b6a6e5.jpg

P1010012_zps1b3f132a.jpg

RSODiscussion_zpse8cf60a1.jpg

That's looking great Brad. So true about camo application. Especially when it comes to the Axis powers whereas the Germans crews field applied theirs with provided sprayers and paint that resembled Kiwi shoe polish that was diluted with fuel or the Japanese which applied theirs by hand with brushes. 

A gloss coat and some weathering followed by another gloss coat. I've used a dark black/brown wash for shadows and general grime along with adding paint chips with Gunze steel. This has all been sealed now for mud and dust for which I use MiG pigments. I know some of you like to vary the shade of paint using these modulation sets, but I prefer to do it with pastels and washes.

P1010014_zpsb238ff32.jpg

P1010013_zps41c90096.jpg

I really like weathering...I mean there was no shortage of mud on the Russian Front.. The flat coat will bring it back a little though and sorry about the blasting it with the flash. Tracks are not finished yet and I still have to paint the muffler and exhaust.

P1010015_zpsdc180e8d.jpg

P1010016_zpsfdd79d57.jpg

• Administrators

Nice straps!

Love the tracks too. I think the Modelkasten tracks are more accurate due to the pin detail on the sides, but i just love the weight Friul tracks add to the model.

Wonder which are quicker to assemble...

Finished! I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunantly the decals completely shattered when they touched water, so I made up the number plate from what I had in the spares folder.

P1010005-Copy_zps321e9618.jpg

P1010003-Copy_zps2aad9294.jpg

P1010016_zps97f25866.jpg

P1010011_zps929a83a0.jpg

P1010010_zps07db051a.jpg

P1010008_zps7592af6a.jpg

P1010006_zps38d041d1.jpg

P1010014_zpsb7d218f4.jpg

P1010013_zpsc4097827.jpg