The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Oil fading

James H

• Administrators

Can anyone give me a proper description on how this is done?

My Bf 110 is in the vinegar strokes of the project now, and I'm looking at wanting to soften the hard edge RLM74/75 splinter camp, and to fade out the masked/sprayed markings.

I know the best way to achieve this is with oil fading, but:

• what colours would you use for this?
  • Is it applied to matt or glass finish?
  • How do you tacked the RLM76 underside?

I'm sure there are other questions I've not asked, so if I missed something, feel free to tell me.

Cheers!

Paynes grey, yellow orche, burnt sienna. Cut down brush with stubby bristles dampened with oils thinner. Left more near the wing roots and blended the further out. Rather easy to achieve and should it go wrong just wipe off completely.

_D308579.jpg

Also works rather well over the alclad to dirty that up.

Aaron

• Like 1

• Administrators

What do you use to fade something like RLM76? I was just thinking white, possibly the odd dot of pale grey.

If you streak in direction of airflow, I presume that accounts for the fuse too? That's a serious length of fuse to streak.

I use blue, green, white and a few spots of pale yellow on RLM76.  I do the blending (as Matt describes above) in the direction that rain would follow with the aircraft on the ground, rather than airflow.

Doug

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've had minor success. My only real impression of my attempt is that is can leave a streaky film over the original paint job. I had to work it in to get rid of the streaky appearance. I'm thinking I could just have applied misted coats of randomised buff and RLM02 and got a better effect.

Yours truly, pissed off....

• Like 1