The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju 87 D-5 S7+AA StG3, Egypt 1942

Hello chaps,

I am going to throw my gauntlet into the ring with a Ju87D-5 with all your great looking Ju88's. I still have a 109 on the bench that I hope to finish by the end of the month, so it might be a tad pre-emotive but I am in.

It will be the Hasegawa ST26 boxing with some extra added stuff. I will post the obligatory opening box shots soonish.

Great stuff and thanks to LSM , Arrow Wolf and you lot for inspiring me!

Regards,

Kent

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

i think those markings might be in box, but also that (maketar??) someone makes a mask set for this very bird already

such a shame the shortened wing d-1 / d-3 version (ST26) is super hard to find - snaffle one on ebay if you see it guys!

Hello all,

Sorry I took a bit to get back to you. As Nick stated the markings come in the ST26 boxing and are as such:

IMG_1661_zpsdb0be90a.jpg

By chance I also had a copy of Topdrawings 7 on the Ju87 which include this aircraft as one of the profiles and provide (masks, and codes no national markings) markings as well:

IMG_1660_zpsd7a5bbbf.jpg

So I am a bit spoilt for choice.

I hadn't realised these were so rare, I may have to get another as well! I just noticed the disparity, one has it as a D-1 trop and the other a D-3 trop? Vast differences?

Regards,

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kent hi

I did a bit of digging and it seems there is some controversy over Ju87 D camo in Afrika

Basically, whilst many profiles depict a lighter tan colour in patches over the original RLM70&71, it seems there are (thus far at least) no colour images clearly showing this.

Exactly what Siegel's aircraft had I am still not sure...I have pawed over the images I have of it and still cannot decide.

Just wanted to give you the heads up, and who knows, maybe you can tell me what you reckon??

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick,

I will have a look at what I have (not much) and see if it can shed some light. I think I may forge ahead regardless as it does intrigue me and I can always switch up the scheme at any time (something I have been known to do at the drop of a hat)

Any images you have that you can send me or point me towards so I can find them on line would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kent

I think if you search Hyperscale (or google) you'll find the image that I have in the classic publications book...let me know if you have no luck and I'll see if I have it on my hard drive (don't think I do though)

• Like 1

Hey Kent

Sent an email to me?

I did not receive anything?

Anyway, the scans above mean you have what I have

Personally I am now in the no tan / RLM79 on Dora Ju87s school - I just cannot see any evidence in this, or other pics

I would like to be proven wrong, given I like the look of the schemes with that mixture

Hi guys,

Matt if you can find it (not urgently) that would be great. 

I went back to the kit instructions (at the top of the post). Apart from the two areas under the canopy, they also show an area just rear of the canopy, under the markings. It is the only reference that I have that shows this area so painted, thus, based on a 3 to 1 majority (the two classic books above and the Top Drawings as shown at the top of post), I am not going to do RLM 79 there. All the other forward areas marked as RLM 79 seem to correlate, so I am tending to go that way. The same ratios for and against for the question of D-1 vs D-3 with the same results.

Nick, I am convinced the RLM 79 is valid, particularly from the closer views in the two "classic" books but I would be interested to hear as to why you have set down in the opposing school of thought?

Regards,

Kent

Because there are no pictures of any other Dora definitively showing extensive coverage of RLM79 (or indeed any Italian tan paint)

Who knows what we see on the Siegel pic?

It's such a crappy angle and the quality is not great, it can be what you want it to be.

Believe me, I WANT it to be true, but just don't think it is true, if you get what I mean?

Cheers

N

• Like 1

First image in the 2nd volume of Stuka by Classic has an image of a factory fresh Ju87D in tan over 65 or 78...

Caption says that by this time in war in Tunisia, camo was inappropriate and usually quickly modified at operational unit level with greens...

Matt

• 4 months later...

Gents,

As you may have guessed by the distinct lack of updates, I am not going to start, let alone complete, this build in the allotted time. Thanks for the opportunity to participate and congratulations to those of you that managed to get past the post.

Regards,