The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix Hawker Typhoon

Hi all,

This will be my attempt for this group build. In the message header I haven't mentioned what type of

Tiffy this will be. The car door version is tempting but the canopy is very scratched

And has large location pegs which affect clarity too. I have a Squadron bubble

Vac canopy. Will probably convert this one. Have to saw something apart anyway.

Cheers

Cees

imagejpg1_zpsb6e131b1.jpg

Erik,

Probably as the canopy is too sponsored by the Betuwe ( very thick). And I like the bubble top

More. Apart from that the kit has a strange seam across the fuselage as if they intended to kit

A bubble top as well. This has to be sanded off anyway together with the rest of the overize rivets.

Would look great next to the Tempest.

Cheers

Cees

• 2 weeks later...

PH-GEO ( George ) generously provided me with his spare MDC cockpit and 3 bladed propeller set.

Haven't made my mind up yet whether to build a cardoor or bubbletop. Time to start cutting plastic

soon, or should that be sanding down a quazillion rivets.

Thanks George.

Cheers

Cees

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the build, the Revell Typhoon is very nice, if basic kit and as you have discovered the car door canopy is a pain to fit, I think I had to cut into the fuselage to get mine to fit properly. But a nice kit none the less.

Cheers

Dennis

Here is a pic showing the first stage sanding of the wings. These will be rescribed. The cowling panel fits reasonably well at first inspection. That universal measuring device shows the scale.

Cheers

Cees

imagejpg2_zps8e72eb2c.jpg

• Like 1

Update,

The cardoor opening has been blocked off and sanded. The wings have mostly been rescribed. I hope to preserve the gunbay detailing such as fastners etc. The fuselage has also had a start with rescribing. The starboard engine cowling has a nasty step near the wingroot. I think packing it out with miliput will help but it is such a difficult area. Any hints or tips?

Cheers

Cees

imagejpg1_zpse0181bbe.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

The lines have been rescribed including the gunbay panels. The old detail looked hideous next to the new panel lines. I think it looks much better now. The removable engine cowling panel ( unfortunately on the starboard side, while here the port side is shown) does look like there never was a big hole in the side. Very pleased about that one. Time to start painting the MDC cockpit.

Cheers

Cees

imagejpg1_zps2abb8b7a.jpg

• Like 2

Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it. Not that my Tiffy is small. Isn't that a nice title for a children's cartoon show: Willy the Typhoon?

Heh heh

I am sidetracking with something looking suspiciously like a Spitfire at the moment.

Don't worry though....

Cees

• Like 3