The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

MDC Typhoon Mk.1b

READY TO BUTTON UP FUSELAGE

Final wiring added to pit tub and fuselage sidewalls.  Also added the canopy hank crank (wheel).

Added some ribs on fuselage sidewalls, painted with black toned down with dark gray while lower was given a shot of Alclad aluminum.  Wash and filtering applied with clear smoke and MiG product.

Exhaust mounts were epoxied to insure they would not pop off to be forever lost inside the fuselage when I insert the exhaust stubs.

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire01.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire05.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire04.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire02.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire07.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire03.jpg

Tiffy_Pit_FinalWire06.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looking good.

The ailerons in my sample don't even come close to fitting. I'm pretty frustrated with it to be honest - it's my first all Resin kit, and I'd entirely assembled up until that point...

I don't know if you caught Ian Robertson's build over on hyperscale, but it was suggested that if build as is, the nose sits a scale foot too low. As shown here http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/typhoonmkibmdc32ir_1.htm

• Like 1

Looking good.

The ailerons in my sample don't even come close to fitting. I'm pretty frustrated with it to be honest - it's my first all Resin kit, and I'd entirely assembled up until that point...

I don't know if you caught Ian Robertson's build over on hyperscale, but it was suggested that if build as is, the nose sits a scale foot too low. As shown here http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/typhoonmkibmdc32ir_1.htm

Thanks, I have that info on the landing gear rake.  This build is a lot of work with many hurdles.  It's been challenging.  Will be posting updates soon.

• Like 1

It's a challenging build but it's the only game in time, and I had to build a Typhoon, one of my favourite aircraft, here is my bodge up

FINISHED4_zps81468189.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Very nice Dennis.  you have any more images?   I have the HV Rockets and I know I am in for plenty of angst.  You use the vacu-form canopy?  I secured a Paul Fisher resin canopy.

Everything on this kit needs to be "straightened" out.  Landing flaps, ailerons all warped. 

I closed up the fuselage last night and reformed the warp at wing root area.  WIP pics to come.

• Like 1

Hi Rick, here is the WIP, http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50763&hl=

Here is the RIF, http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53806&hl=

Photobucket is down so I cannot post the photos direct.

Cheers

Dennis

Ok, I remember this great build.  You conquered those demons!  In fact, I borrowed your approach to fix wing root. Results ok, some filling will be required.

• 3 weeks later...

Great work on the pit Rick! - your seat back cushion in particular really grabbed my attention.Looking forward to following along with your tiffie!

Thanks Dennis.

Any progress on this beauty?

Cees

I glued the fuselage a few weeks ago.  Pics to come soon.  

Lately focus has been on the Ju88 and some other "small" scale builds.  Local IPMS contest 30 April.  Tiffy will just have to wait.  I envision finishing the Tiffy and FW190C in short order after 30 April.

Any difficulty with fuselage halves of uneven lenght or warped wings?

Cees

Fuselage length ok.  Wings warped at wing root.  I improved by using some hot water and pushing out from the wheel well.  Ailerons and landing flaps in bad shape, will require attention.

• 2 months later...

PACKED AWAY

My MDC Typhoon Mk.Ib build is taking a leave of absence.  I found myself working on 3 difficult resin kits/conversions at the same time.  Frankly it was driving me nuts.  I lost my MoJo.

Planning some OOB builds, NO AM PE, NO AM RESIN.   The purpose is to get my MoJo back.  Stay tuned.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...