The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco

JaseGill

Kitty Hawk 1:32 OV-10D “Bronco”

HH32003

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-002.jpg

The Bronco - Wikepiedia Entry

The North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco is a turboprop light attack and observation aircraft. It was developed in the 1960s as a special aircraft for counter-insurgency (COIN) combat, and one of its primary missions was as a forward air control (FAC) aircraft. It can carry up to three tons of external munitions, internal loads such as paratroops or stretchers, and can loiter for three or more hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Rockwell_OV-10_Bronco

The Kit.

Well, as soon as I heard about this I knew I had to get it.  It’s been on my pre-orders since day one and today it arrived.  I have to say that, so far, Im not disappointed.

Some have said they’d rather Kitty Hawk had started with the OV-10A and worked through the various models.  They also say that the various bumps and extras on the D model make it ugly.  Well for me it just looks right, yes its fugly but so is the A-10 and it never did that aircraft any harm.

So onto the fun bit, the kit breakdown.

The box is big, not WnW Duellist big just big.  Its about 60cm wide, 20 deep and thickness of about 15cm.  Its also packed to the gunnels with plastic. There are 9 sprues of grey plastic that’s as good as any I have seen (including Tamiya) and 1 of clear.  A nice touch is that the clear sprue is housed in a special box of its own.

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-001.jpg

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-004.jpg

There is also a metal nose weight that seems quite heavy and a fret of small PE along with 2 sheets of decals.

The Sprues:

Spue A has main engine parts, some panels for the engines and some cockpit elements too.

Sprue B is the main outer wings and the flaps associated with that and the tail

Sprue C is the main inner wings and again more control surfaces

Sprue D is the main engine pylons and the small stub wings that fit below the cockpit

Sprue E is the tail, some panels and some cockpit elements too

Sprue F and J are the tail booms, cockpit parts and various under wing stores, missiles and bombs

Sprue GP is the clear parts and this kit has a big cockpit,

Sprue I (there are two) is weapons and the engine parts

Sprue H (there are two) is more weapons, some engine parts and ancillary equipment.

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-009.jpg

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-010.jpg1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-011.jpg

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-012.jpg1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-013.jpg1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-014.jpg

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-015.jpg

The Instruction Manual

The Instruction manual is very good.  It has bi fold out front and back covers and full colour guidance on the colour schemes, more of those later.  It’s very well printed, clear and up there with the best.  Whilst I’d say it’s on par with Tamiya its not up there with WnW But you can see that Kitty Hawk has really worked hard on these and to make them as clear as possible.

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-007.jpg1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-008.jpg

The Colour Schemes

I think I many need at least 3 of these kits, as I love all but one scheme.  They are:

US Marines VM)-4 airframe tail-number 55498, which is 3 tone wrap around scheme in Green (FS34102), Greyish Blue (FS35237) and Grey (FS36801 a very attractive scheme.

US Marines VMO-2 airframe tail-number 55468, which is the main box cover Brown (FS30219) and Sandy Brown (no FS Callout but C19 in Gunze Sangyo) with an underside in Grey (FS16640).

US Marines, VMO-2 airframe tail-number 55479, which is in a 2 tone grey wrap around scheme in Grey (FS3618) and Greyish Blue (FS35237).

US Navy unidentified squadron tail-number 55172, which is Field Green (FS34097) over Grey (FS3662).  This one is my least favourite and probably the only one I wouldn’t build personally.

All of the schemes are also referenced, as is the whole kit in Gunze Sangyo colours.  Personally I’d like some other callouts too but that’s just me, I always use Vallejo and convert using their colour charts anyway.

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-003.jpg

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-006.jpg

Overall Impression

This for me is a dream kit.  I remember years ago buying the Testors 1/48 kit and the Paragon Details update with wings and pylons and I loved the look of the aircraft as much as I do now.

For me it’s highly recommended.

On all the sprues the detail looks great and where it exists there is some very fine riveting detail and great panel lines, which look to be mostly even and clean.  Its currently being built by someone on a Facebook page and I think he has nothing but good things to say about it so far, though only into the cockpit area so far.

There are also two full engines, removable panels and it’s all visible if you leave these off.  A nice touch I think.  The rear cargo door is accessible too and can be posed open as can the nose giving access to the hardware in there including the Optic systems in the nose.

I’ve not been lucky enough to see Kitty Hawk’s earlier Harvard and Texan kits in 1/32 but from what I have read they are just as good and if they look as good as this does in the bare plastic I don’t see where anyone but the most choosy could have a problem with this kit.

There is a very good selection of drop tanks, air to air and air to ground weapons.  There are also some very nice cannons for the stub wings and they have full detail down to the bays in which they sit.

A super details person could go mad with all the open panels and could build an absolute blinding kit from this.  That said even OOB this is going to look great.

I got it from Hannants at £59.99 but it should be available from all good model stockists.  Highly Recommended.

• Like 3

Sorry Doog.  I thought you were already into a build on Facebook.  Must be someone else, sorry.

Will sort the Canopy and the Etch too Jeroen, will get back in the photobooth tomorrow soon as Im back from work :)

Jim, I have a few Kitty's and this one is right up there with Tamiya in my book.  

This is my 1st in 1/32 though, the others I have are a whole clowder of Kitty's Jaguars in 1/48 and an F35 Lightning too.
J.

Sorry all.
I missed the Canopy parts.

1-32%2BOV10D%2BInbox%2BReview-016.jpg

They're ultra clear, look flawless and have some really nice riveting especially around the main front canopy parts.

With an aircraft like this, suck big windows It'd be a real letdown if they weren't so good, so I'm really happy they are so good.

I will get some better ones tomorrow as well as a few macro shots of the main sprues.

J.

Has to be said Im pretty down on Eduard's release schedule of late.
Seems to be for loads of major kits but bugger all for what I want to build.

They haven't bothered with Kitty Hawk, Fly or even Special Hobby and Hobby Boss.  I wonder why that is?

True Doog.

The PE Colour stuff can be a bugger to get right.  I'd just like to see some resin interior updates (seats etc) for some kits and maybe some weapons options.

I don't know why but I just don't get on with their masks.  Prefer doing it myself as I usually end up screwing up the pre-cut ones.

Everyone to their own though, and BTW Im loving the AH-1Z build.  Looking great, cant wait for my one and the UH-1Y to arrive.

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review!  It it inDEED a wonderful little kit and it builds up WONDERFULLY.  The fit is on par with Tamiya IMHO.

A couple words of warning however:

- Be careful with the windscreen. It takes a bit of pressure to get all that glazing to mate up and some spider cracking can occur if you abuse it. (ask me how I know!)

- Decals - They settle down nice and conform well, as the carrier has been minimized by KH, but they are NOT...........I repeat NOT user friendly!  They will curl up on you in a heartbeat if your not careful, and they are prone to tearing.

I HIGHLY recommend using a small piece of thin Tamiya tape on your model exactly where you want your decal to go before placing them, as even with the glossiest of glosses, you have just a scant few seconds to manuver them before they stick down.

- VMO 4 wrap around camo scheme color:

Do NOT use the Model Master Euro Gray FS36801 that the instruction manual calls out for. I did myself as it was a review build for Kitty Hawk models, but it is in fact way, WAY too light for the real scheme, which is MUCH darker...............boardering on a black.

I would hightly recommend using a color like "weathered black" which is MUCH closer to the 1:1 scheme.

- Gear - BE CAREFUL!  They are quite springy OOB, and tend to splay the wheels a bit of you desplay the model on glass. Forthcoming AM gear will be MOST welcome.

DSC04120.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, OOB weapons stores are out of scale, and  there are some confirmed accuracy issues with the pit.

I am also in contact with Ernie Gee from G-Factor models and G-Factor is set to release a set of white brass gear for this thing. The OOB gear is VERY springy and kind of weak, so these will be a GOOD addition.

Scale Aircraft Conversions have just released metal undercarriage for this.
Oh and Eduard have announced an Interior, Exterior, Seat belts and masks too.  

I do wonder why interior doesn't actually include seat belts too (aren't they on the inside after all, they always were and are whenever I strap into an aircraft) but thats an old argument against Eduard...

They seem to have turned this around pretty quickly, I wonder if they are reading us ;)

J.

Eeehhhh…. Never been a fan of SAC landing gear. Not very clean and appear to be just metal copies of the kit gear. G-Factors are much cleaner and are a distinct improvement over the kits stuff. If Ernie says he's coming out with a set, I'd wait.

If the SAC gear is anything like their previous releases, Id steer VERY clear of them for the OV-10. The cantilevered effect of the OV-10 gear is really going to compound the soft nature of their metal.

Like Paul, I’d wait for Ernie’s gear to come out. G-Factors white brass is very strong, does not flex, and best of all, you can polish out the oleos!  I have sent Ernie a set of the OOB KH OV-10 gear, and I expect them to come to market in the next month or two.

Cheers,

Hi Jase - have you actually started this kit yet or are you bypassing and going straight on to the Sabre Dog - that'd be nice!!

Me, I'd wait a while on the 'Dog until the After Marketeers' have shown their hand 'cos there's some really nice schemes out there to be had!

Regards,

Steve S. 

Thanks for your very nice review, Jase! I acquired a kit on Flanders' Modelling Festival in Antwerp last saturday!

The Jag was a huge leap forward from the F-35B. Fussy in some areas but well-fitting. In my opinion it's one major weakness was the poor decision to use unpainted photo etch for the side consoles and IP. Very hard to pull detail out of that, but I know there's aftermarket options to play with now.

The MiG-25 fixed the PE cockpit fetish and has some of the best surface detail I've seen outside, say, Tamiya's Corsair.

The F-35A was a big improvement over the -B.

The OV-10 is...well you can see it above. The builds I've been following elsewhere gush at the detail and the great fit.

The AH-1Z is easily, hands down, the best Cobra you can buy in any scale.

The forthcoming Sabre Dog looks staggeringly good.

With each release, they seem to improve and refine a bit more. And they're definitely going interesting places, subject-wise. 

My biggest gripe at the moment is the cold-shoulder they get from Eduard. A new Tamiya kit gets a mask set within a month or two. Kitty Hawk kits languish for up to a year. 

I think that Tamiya has a better market penetration, making it more worthwile for Eduard to invest in a set. They will onlly have that much manufacturing capacity so will be forced to make choices too... And since they're in it to make money... There's a reason that the newest kits get the AM treatment and not the old re-issues that really need it...

Nice review!  It it inDEED a wonderful little kit and it builds up WONDERFULLY.  The fit is on par with Tamiya IMHO.

A couple words of warning however:

- Be careful with the windscreen. It takes a bit of pressure to get all that glazing to mate up and some spider cracking can occur if you abuse it. (ask me how I know!)

- Decals - They settle down nice and conform well, as the carrier has been minimized by KH, but they are NOT...........I repeat NOT user friendly!  They will curl up on you in a heartbeat if your not careful, and they are prone to tearing.

I HIGHLY recommend using a small piece of thin Tamiya tape on your model exactly where you want your decal to go before placing them, as even with the glossiest of glosses, you have just a scant few seconds to manuver them before they stick down.

- VMO 4 wrap around camo scheme color:

Do NOT use the Model Master Euro Gray FS36801 that the instruction manual calls out for. I did myself as it was a review build for Kitty Hawk models, but it is in fact way, WAY too light for the real scheme, which is MUCH darker...............boardering on a black.

I would hightly recommend using a color like "weathered black" which is MUCH closer to the 1:1 scheme.

- Gear - BE CAREFUL!  They are quite springy OOB, and tend to splay the wheels a bit of you desplay the model on glass. Forthcoming AM gear will be MOST welcome.

Thanks for your tips!!

Scale Aircraft Conversions have just released metal undercarriage for this.
Oh and Eduard have announced an Interior, Exterior, Seat belts and masks too.  

I do wonder why interior doesn't actually include seat belts too (aren't they on the inside after all, they always were and are whenever I strap into an aircraft) but thats an old argument against Eduard...

They seem to have turned this around pretty quickly, I wonder if they are reading us ;)

J.

Maybe not everyone wants to use their seat belts. I regularly read about that. Or maybe it's a method to make the total price of the updates less obvious at first sight... Probably some kind of marketing reason.