The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Hawker Typhoon, 609 Sqn, Thorney Island, June 1944

I've plunged into the deep and started Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon.

Typhoon Boxart.jpg

It'll be MN131, a 3-blade, rocket-armed, bubble-top Typhoon that was fitted with the small tailplanes. EagleCal's terrific decals will be used.

post-140-0-11169500-1422275018.png

I have to run now to get to work in time, update follows quickly!

The update:

These are the decals on the sheet, to give you an idea:

YBT_4539.jpg

YBT_4540.jpg

I also plan on using Airscale's instrument decals:

YBT_4537.jpg

YBT_4538.jpg

The seatbelts supplied in the kit are not the "standard Sutton-harness" used RAF-wide during WW-II, so I turned to Radu Brinzan for his lovely set of harness. It looks quite daunting but that hurdle will be taken when we get to it!

YBT_4534.jpg

YBT_4535.jpg

Staying with Radu's RB products, I plan to use the photo-etched radiator parts, keeping in mind that the kit parts may need to be sanded down a bit to get the whole assembly to fit.

YBT_4536.jpg

Barracudacast's resin air intake promises to be a part that refines the radiator assembly effectively too!

YBT_4533.jpg

And finally I'll be using Barracudacast's resin Typhoon wheels. I find them worth the small investment in money, seeing as how much finer the detail is.

YBT_4532.jpg

Well, onto the kit then!!!!

This kit certainly isn't a "weekend-kit", you only have to glance at the heap of plastic to become aware of that....

YBT_4531.jpg

One of the first things to tackle is the framing around the cockpit. That's also where you see that Airfix isn't in the Tamigawa league yet, no matter what all the fanboys may say! There are heaps of detail moulded in but here and there it reminds me some of the mouldings of Monogram.... The parts show really distinctive mould-seams and sometimes the mould halves aren't exactly "calibrated". In parts with a circular cross-section, that means that you easily end up with an oval cross-section...

For my taste, the plastic is somewhat too soft, I prefer the harder Japanese plastic. But no fear, I'm enjoying myself with this Tiffie!

Cleaning up the right (errr... starboard) frame took me the entire modelling session of an evening. Do observe the difference between the basic part and the cleaned-up part, though. I used a No.11 Swan & Morton scalpel to scrape off the seams on the verical sides and the top sides. I didn't bother with the bottom sides as these will not be seen from the cockpit aperture.

YBT_4530.jpg

Top is the treated part, bottom the raw part as it was cut off from the mould-tree.

To be continued.

• Administrators

Nice scheme!

I will collect After market over a period of about 2 years and then start. Finish the cockpit. Loose my Mojo and then put it back of the shelf.

The worst thing is knowing already that it will go exactly like this...

Sorry. I'm talking non-sense. Please continue.

:)

• Like 1