The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ju88C-2 NJG2 Gilze Rijen

wackyracer

Here's my entry to the build.

Its the same one I was going to do for the Junkers GB but ran out of time.

Ju88c.jpg

Revells 88A-1

ju88.jpg

AM bits for it

_D306118.jpg

New AM bits just added!

CMK exterior set (I want to show the dinghy to break up the black)

CMK5025.jpg

Profimodeller's ladder and pitot

PF32016P.jpg

PF32124P.jpg

Revells boxing of the ICM kit (same model half the price!)

revell1_35opeladmiral201.jpg

Vulcans Motorcycle and sidecar

VSM56007.jpg

And finally Tanks figure which is pretty close to the pose in the pics!

t-35002b_4.jpg

I started last weekend and will post up the progress pics where I'm up to later on

Aaron

• Like 3

So we off.

Cockpit makes up most of the parts in the kit so lots of little sub assemblies to start with along with Aims ammo boxes for the mg17's and 20mm cannon

_D306312.jpg

_D306307.jpg

Test fit of the sidewalls

_D306306.jpg

And the floor added

_D306310.jpg

Aims gun pack cleaned up and test fitted of sorts

_D306309.jpg

_D306308.jpg

This is gonna be fun!

• Like 6

Nice!

I thought the night fighter "heavies" appeared later during the war, since there wasn't much to be afraid of in 1940.

How did they find their targets since the Germans didn't had radar guidance that early. Or am I wrong again?

Really interesting this.

Rob

Nachtjagdgeschwader 2 (NJG 2) was a German Luftwaffe night fighter-wing ofWorld War II. NJG 2 was formed on 1 September 1940 in Gilze en Rijen from II./Nachtjagdgeschwader 1 (NJG 1). Stab I./NJG 2 was formed from Stab II./NJG 1,while 1./NJG 2 was formed from 4./NJG1 equipped with the Junkers Ju 88C-1. 2./NJG 2 was raised from 5./NJG 1 with Do 17Z-7/10, and 3./NJG 2 from 6./NJG 1 with the Junkers Ju 88C-2. 4./NJG 2 was formed in November 1940 in Gilze Rijen from elements of 1./Zerstörergeschwader 2 (ZG 2).

Intruders 1940-41

I./NJG 2's initial role was unlike the other units of the Luftwaffe night fighter arm; as a Fernnachtjagd Gruppe they were tasked with long-range intruder missions over the UK, disrupting night flying training and harassing the returning Royal Air Force (RAF) bombers over their own airfields.

Luftflotte 3's radio intercepts of Bomber Command's transmissions helped pinpoint the operational airfields in Eastern England. I./NJG 2 aircraft could then scramble to be over the airfields at the predicted times of the bomber's return.

The technique employed was to mix with the returning bombers, orbit the bases, and either shoot down targets that presented themselves or drop 50 kilograms (110 lb) bombs across the runways.[1]

Based at Gilze-Rijen in the Netherlands, operations commenced using just 7 JU 88 C-1 night fighters. Although most missions were carried out using the Junkers Ju 88C-1 and C-2, a few Dornier Do 215B-5 fighter conversions were trialled in the spring of 1941

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

In terms of reference I've picked up this

intruders1-510x658.jpg

and this

njwd1-510x658.jpg

Both books give good accounts of the sorties/claims and losses during this small period.

As for markings I'm still deciding but may well do Lt. Hans Hahn who was credited with 12 victories, all over England. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross In July 1941, but was killed in action in October 1941, colliding with an RAF Airspeed Oxford trainer he was trying to shoot down. His first victory was a Wellington; Whitley V (P5073) “D” of 102 Sqn RAF flown by P/O AG Davies on the 24th Oct 1940, giving me the timeframe for this plane for the GB.

The publication 'Luftwaffe in focus' has a very nice article on Hahn in issue 20 along with a colour profile of his 88c along with a full sized pic of it when he collided with a barrage balloon damaging the wingtip and engine. This pic was 1941 but gives a great view of the dirty overpainted black scheme.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening All.

Added some pipework to the gun and cannon arrangement then painted up.

_D306314.jpg

_D708064.jpg

Instrument panel got the Eduard PE treatment and white glue to glass the dials.

_D708066.jpg

Dinghy compartment was a nice simply drop in to the fuselage sides then top sections added.

_D708067.jpg

Pilots area and rudders added and a bit more weathering done to the pit.

_D708080.jpg

Next the nose section was added. Test fitting showed it was going to be straightforward, but in the end I added the top section with the instruments. I then stuck the nose on followed by the lower resin section. This allowed me to line up and glue this piece to the fuselage and the nose to get a smooth join all round. A little superglue filler was needed in a couple of places but overall not to bad.

_D708082.jpg

_D708083.jpg

Aaron

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update but scary times, no more so than cutting the panel from the front section of the canopy! Micro drill holes all around then RB nano saw to cut the remaining and cleanup with micro files. Phew, glad thats done. The reason for all this was the front mg was removed from these nightfighters as the main armament was below.

20150531_174218.jpg

Eduard resin wheels, what an improvement over the kit ones.

20150531_174157.jpg

Quickboost exhausts painted then weathered with AK aircraft exhaust set.

20150531_174035.jpg

Wings on and soon ready for paint

20150531_174755.jpg

• Like 4