The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamigawa Spitfire Mk.Vc Trop

repeater

Hi all, time to get started on the Spitfire GB.  After waiting patiently (to no avail) for Tamiya to release a Mk. V, I've decided to make my own.   The old Hasegawa kit is fine for its age, but was not released as a Mk.Vc, and the Hobbyboss Mk.Vb has a few issues. 

What better starting point than the Tamiya Mk.IXc?  After all, the first Mk.IX's were converted from the Mk.V airframe.   

I'm building a Spitfire Mk.Vc Trop - I haven't decided on the scheme yet, but clearly it will be something from the Mediterranean or Pacific theatres.  Suggestions/ideas are welcome. 

in the literal sense this build is a Tamigawa - I'll be using parts from the old Hasegawa kit to backdate the Tamiya Mk.IXc.

I haven't compiled an exhaustive list yet - but there are a number of changes required to make a reasonably accurate Mk.Vc Trop:

- Mk.IXc had a longer nose to accommodate the Merlin 60 series engine 

- Spinner and 3 blade prop (DeHavilland or Rotol)-  this will depend on the scheme chosen 

- Fishtail exhausts

- Tropical air intake filter 

- oil cooler arrangement (underwing) 

- various minor changes in the cockpit (eg. addition of headrest, IFF transmitter) 

- cannons?  not sure 

- Elevators and rudder material/composition ? 

Research continues. 

Material used for this build

- HGW harness

- Aires Mk.IXc cockpit (apparently for a later Mk.IXc - changes will be required to backdate to Mk V)

- decals/masks - TBD

- Tamiya Mk.IXc kit

- Hasegawa Mk.Vb Trop kit 

- other - TBD

The biggest challenge for me will be shortening the nose.  I covered this in an earlier post here:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3691-converting-the-tamiya-spitfire-mkixc-to-mkvc-trop-feasibility/

I've decided to graft the Hasegawa nose complete with trop filter.  They should matchup reasonably ok and it means that rescribing and riveting of the nose will be necessary. Hopefully it also means no issues with the exhausts, cowls, spinner and prop.

Stay tuned! 

Cheers, 

Tim

Lovely project, but beware of the difference between the Tamiya fuselage fuel tank cover and the Hasegawa nose. There may be a mismatch.

In reality Supermarine ( or Rolls Royce) converted Mk V spits into early Mk IX by lenghtening the cowling pieces. If the Hasegawa nose cannot be made to fit, you might do the reverse.

Good luck.

Definately following this one.

Cees

• Like 1

Thanks all for the support.. I'll definitely need it :)

This should be good. I wanted to do a Vc but chickened out. Got a couple of HB Vb's (1 trop, 1 std) to do instead. Will watch with interest.

Aaron

Aaron.. I'm quietly confident the Vc conversion will be easier than I feared.. let's see.. I considered using the HK Vb, which is a nice kit,  but sorting out the canopy was a blocker for me.. I'll still keep the Hasegawa canopy for that purpose on a future build...

Lovely project, but beware of the difference between the Tamiya fuselage fuel tank cover and the Hasegawa nose. There may be a mismatch.
In reality Supermarine ( or Rolls Royce) converted Mk V spits into early Mk IX by lenghtening the cowling pieces. If the Hasegawa nose cannot be made to fit, you might do the reverse.
Good luck.
Definately following this one.
Cees

Thanks Cees, that's exactly what I'm worried about.. so I'll start with that first. 

Tim this is going to be an very interesting build for sure! Knowing your skills you will be able to pull this off!

Now this will be interesting. I look forward to viewing your efforts and wish you good luck!

Regards,

I'm certain you'll make Castle Bromwich proud. Good luck!

Regards,

Dan M

Thanks Dave,  Kent, Dan..    now .. time to get started! 

Cheers,

Tim. 

Time to get started..   obligatory pic of the starting kit.. no surprises here: 

tamiya60319reviewbg_1_zpsmvxdy4qr.jpg

The donor Hasegawa Mk. Vb kit is from the shelf of doom.. actually it is my first ever 1/32 kit...  I had vague notions of eventually finishing it, but it will serve a better purpose now.  It also has the Eduard interior set so I should be able to use a few bits and pieces for the cockpit: 

20150511_122324_zpsn8gftrb6.jpg

This is the trop boxing with the fantastic USAAF scheme of Major Levine - now this aircraft was also (incorrectly) reported as a Mk. Vc in some publications.  A shame because it really is an interesting scheme.  But not for this build  :)

Cheers, 

Tim. 

As previously mentioned I'll start with the risky bit first - grafting the Hasegawa nose on the Tamiya kit. 

Time to get the tools out. I've sprayed a visible colour (primer) to mark where the cut is required.  I'll cut behind this line using a hobby saw and then file back to the line. 

20150511_130541_zpsflm3mfbd.jpg

The Hasegawa nose is off now and I haven't tidied up the edges but it's good enough to see how it'll match the Tamiya fuselage:  

20150512_142058_zpspomva3gy.jpg

Tim. 

• Like 1

Here are the results.. it's a reasonable match...  actually not too bad!  I've got something to work with now.. 

As mentioned earlier I haven't tidied up the Hasegawa nose but here's how it looks blutack'ed to the Tamiya kit

20150512_170718_zpsjymk697n.jpg

20150512_170652_zpsa6ma9pbj.jpg

20150512_170602_zpskwewuvcw.jpg

20150512_171016-1_zpsetrc7gbl.jpg

20150512_170304-1_zpsk2v73anl.jpg

Still, it's not 100% match and the Hasegawa nose seems a fraction narrower, and some work will be required to align the curvature of the cowling and fuel tank cover.. 

20150512_171313_zps3opadbac.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased so far. All things considered it's a pretty good match and the conversion seems feasible so far.. 

All comments, suggestions & criticism are welcome. 

Cheers, 

Tim. 

• Like 2

I'll put the nose aside until the fuselage is buttoned up, which means getting the cockpit sorted.

In the meantime I'll tackle the oil cooler conversion - I'll graft the Hasegawa Mk. V oil cooler onto the Tamiya wing. A fairly simple approach as per below.

Firstly removing the Mk. IX part

20150513_135156_zpsefg2uvgn.jpg

Removed with a saw.

20150513_140407_zps7wnmfcep.jpg

I cut the oil cooler and surrounding wing section from the Hasegawa kit and attached to the Tamiya wing. I started removing the oil cooler but realised part way through the process I should also use the surrounding wing so it was a very rough job! Filling/sanding is required.

b1910559e0d7c15c89041fb985cc2ea4_zpsgvuw

Next a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 was airbrushed to check for seams. You can see a few touchups are required.

33fb077e9f09552f3dc5184128dc12ba_zpsnkde

a5e9631dd2c2311d2f19eb3cecf70b72_zpswaag

Now please don't tell me the Hasegawa Mk V oil cooler is innacurate! The shape seems ok but I couldn't find good pictures of the rear! If anyone has any pics/links please share. :)

Rescribing/rivetting will also be required down the track.

Comments/feedback/criticism is welcome.

Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

Thanks Laurent.

I've made good progress with the Aires cockpit install and backdate, also using kit parts and bits and pieces from the Hasegawa kit and Eduard.

I'll post a detailed update with pics in the next few days.

cheers, Tim

• Like 1