The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

GB 1 - Brisfit "Crocodile"

seiran01

Google has changed their programming so i can't link photos from there, so I'll be attempting to share photos with instagram this time around (please, work!)

My first entry will be the Bristol F.2B using OH Decals sheet for "the crocodile" which has been one of my favourite non-nightfighter schemes for quite a while.  The only aftermarket I'm planning on using aside from this will be one of the new resin seats from barracuda and likely some Aviattic fabric print for the "standard" fabric surfaces.

11351041_912803742113752_89800594_n.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

ohhhhh!! My favourite Birstol!!!! The Croc!! 

I have been to buy that decal sheet for a while... on ebay... but quite an expensive one for a decal.... but Mike it`s worth it?

And neither can I, either! I just need to get through a few more days of crazy and then I hope to get stuck in to these builds.

My thought on the wings is to use Aviattic for the non-checkers sides of the wings. I think I could knock this out with one giant decal for each wing of i apply it carefully enough

• Like 1

Well crumbs - my plan was to complete the wings first but I just found a pic of the real Crocodile and zooming in, there are definitely checkers on the top of the bottom wing. This is not something that is included on the OH decal sheet.  Modelling patience is one thing I tend to lack, so attempting to paint it may not be a smart move for me.  I've emailed Fantasy Printshop about purchasing another copy of the wing decal sheet in the hopes I won't need to purchase a second full copy of the decal set. 

Onwards with the Rumplers for now!

11385121_1616872858555912_866661181_n.jp

• Like 1

• Administrators

Really Nice pics but a major flop from OH Models. Please let me know how Fantasy Printshop handle your request as i was going to get on decal set for me... And i don't want to get two.... Too much for decals....

Hi Seiran,

the painting of the wings was not a task that was completed at once, but rather a process that took some time. There are 2 photos of the aircraft on page 29/ Windsock datafile Special - Bristol Fighter Vol.1, that shows it clearly. On th first one there are no checkers on the upper wing underside and on teh second there are checkers on the upper wing lower surface. Probably the painting took some time so making it with or without the checkers on any of the wing surfaces will be right :).

By the way, I built a 1:48 Eduard's crocodile 2 years ago, but I went with red and white checkers, because I like the colour combo better than the black and white one. I painted it and really reccomend to try painting it and if you fail, well you will have the decal sheets available ;)

The whole scheme is definately an eye catcher!
Here is a pic of my attempt:

IMG_0620_zps40611fb0.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

I just recieved my set of crocodile decals from Fantasy Printshop and they definately include cheques for the top of the lower wing. The only surface npt catered for is the lower surface of the upper wing which was cdl.

I would check back with them if I were you.

cheers

Brent

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, progress! 

Having attempted to thin the back of the kit wicker seat and managing to destroy the part in the process, I ordered the resin barracuda seats which arrived recently. This has been removed from the casting block and I've slopped some thinned enamel on it to show the effing wonderful detail on it.

I also spent about 2 hours with my 2mm tape masking off all the ribs on the wings and tail surfaces and these are now ready to pre-shade in black, and then to be painted in gloss white. 

The Rudder will be painted in gloss white and then post-shaded after the red/white/blue stripes are added, as will the wing areas over the roundels.  If I can keep my modelling mojo, I'll work on this on Wednesday when I get back from a short business trip to a cosmetics tradeshow in Las Vegas -- hey, maybe I'll score some free makeup brushes to use on the pastels for weathering!

6A48CB7B-9CFF-49E4-A2FA-EF7F86EC2CEC_zps

7C6F82E4-EC10-4CC1-B843-D806A74C300B_zps

• Like 2

The checkering has begun!  I ran out of white after painting the tail surfaces and two ailerons, but hey, it's a start. The decals are going on as perfectly as one would expect/hope. So far they fit perfectly on the tail but are a millimeter or two too short for the thickness of the one aileron I've applied.  This won't be hard to touch up with paint or scrap decal later on, so no big deal there. Underside of the stabilizer also now sits in preshaded white with Aviattic RFC/RAF Clear Doped Linen. My camera is not picking up how nice this fabric effect looks, sadly...

6B882430-FFC2-475B-B57F-921B87116ACB_zps

83B4251F-2343-48E8-B988-CD2D2A4C0B3E_zps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys! I've been out of town on business for the last two weeks and have had no time to build, am hoping the postwar brisfit is out soon and maybe I can build both at once. Need to get my modeling mojo working again...

• 2 months later...