The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

GB : LVG C.VI converted to a Post War Limo

guitarlute101

Hi everyone,

Here is some fill work on the gun mount areas and on the lower fuselage to cover the bomb door and aerial wire outlet.......

IMG_4532_zps2dd360df.jpg

81960c4d-8980-422d-8d06-19cf70dc1880_zps

Next I need to move on to the rear decking. I cut the decking off of the top of the rear of the fuselage to the last visible seam, turned it over on a block of basswood (that will be the vacu-form mold) and painted through the fuselage to leave an impression on the basswood block. This will let me know how much to remove from the block to create the mold to fit the fuselage sides..................

IMG_0927_zpscbhbwoji.jpg

IMG_0928_zpsx4fylkau.jpg

I filled the fuselage former that sits right behind the pilot, I'll make a new piece of flooring that will extend from the former back to cover the bomb hole and extend the floor back a little more............

IMG_0929_zps7yioxixj.jpg

Thanks for checking in on my build! More soon.

Mark

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the final look of the build and I think I'll make a diorama with it. I'm thinking of displaying the LVG as if it is at the airport with a pilot standing beside it waiting for his passengers. I have this King's Road "William Hopson" figure in the stash and I think I will use it for the pilot..........

I don't have much experience painting figures so I guess the decision to use it will rest on how it looks after I paint it.

Mark

• Like 3

Hi everyone, 

I had some time today to sit down at the bench and start working on shaping the basswood mold for the rear decking. I cut out a paper template for the side profile and used my scroll saw to cut out the parts..................................

Here's the test fit :

I got it pretty close, I'll have to do a little more sanding by hand and knock the corners off of the upper edges but all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks for checking in,

Mark

• Like 1

Hey Mark, this is looking superb! If you vac-form or cast the cabin and would consider selling a copy, please drop me a line. In the meantime, I'll keep munching on popcorn and watch your build. My GB entries have stalled as I've started building a 1/32 ju388 conversion :)

• Like 1

There is a hole on the other side of the wooden box that you see in the picture where a regular vacuum cleaner hose is inserted and turned on. The top aluminum part with the plastic goes in the oven upside down at around 250 degrees for a few minutes until it starts to sag really well. Then just place the melted plastic sheet over the mold and there you go. Very low tech but it works really well.

Mark

• Like 1