The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Jumping into the 1945 GB with my most "liked" fighter aircraft, the Fw 190D series and I have not built one since the early 1990's and those were the Trimaster kits in 48th scale. So, I have decided I need to build one for the collection in 32nd scale and why not go for the "Hot Rod" of the D's, which would be the D-13.  I am utilizing the Hasegawa 1/32 D-9 and picked up the resin D-13 conversion set from Grey Matter Figures, which includes a resin replacement fuselage with the changes incorporated for the D-13.  As Yellow 10 still survives today plenty of reference on the aircraft is available and it wore a wickedly cool camouflage scheme so that is the A/C I am going with.  Also, using the Aires cockpit and wheel set, and I am really excited to try out the HGW Positive Rivet set as I have seen some remarkable results done with these.  

Artwork-Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D13-JG26-Y10---

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D13-JG26-Y10---Franz-Go

fw190d9_hasegawa_zpsvypzg0ii.jpg

220cropped_zpszhop3pkv.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah definitely following this one I get to see Yellow 10 about once a month at the Flying Heritage Collection. I always look the longest at this plane my favorite for sure at the museum.

Maybe someday I'll bring the 10ft selfie stick and get shots of the cockpit. Haha

Are you in Washington Iceman?

• Like 1

I am in northern Michigan right on the 45th parallel.  I do get to see the 190D-9 at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH every once in a while, which actually has the wing section from Yellow 10.  The engine mounted 20mm cannon shell casing ejection chute is still located in the center fuselage along the wheel wells too.  Not really sure how the D-9 ended up with the D-13 wing section during restoration, but Yellow 10 has had a very interesting path since being surrendered in 45.  If it were not for a couple of enthusiasts back in the early 60's, primarily Jerry Crandall, I doubt the aircraft would have even survived let alone being fully restored as it is today. Looking forward to getting going on this build, I have decided to start with the wing assembly first then move on to cockpit and fuselage.

Agree, I will be able to make good use of my new Iwata Custom Micron for the mottle work, and using the new AK Interactive airbrushing paints which are provided toned down. My tests so far have come out good with this combination, hopefully will hold up when I get to applied application on the model!

• 2 weeks later...

Had some free time over a couple evenings this week so I made some progress on wing construction.  The wheel well bays are produced by Aires and while the bays supplied by Hasegawa are really quite good, I decided to replace them as I had the Aires set in my stash and made use of them.  They do have some finer detail over the kit supplied wells and depict the 20mm cannons without the dust boot installed.  As Hasegawa supplies the lower wing with a choice of different panels if you would choose to use the wing mounted ETC bomb racks, this brings the pleasant task of filling in the resulting seams.  Got that done without losing the engraved surface detail so rescribing details was not necessary. I will also be using the turned brass 20mm cannons and their wheel bay protective sleeves from Master Model.  Well onto the landing gear.  Apologize for the picture quality, snapped these with my IPhone, works but not the best for closeups.

IMG_0324_zps9ppvubhy.jpg

IMG_0325_zpsfeps7y4u.jpg

IMG_0326_zpssvw1olod.jpg

• Like 3

Could not agree more Jeroen, no matter what angle you look at on this A/C, it is just one Bad Ass aircraft. If the Germans would have had access to 100 octane aviation gasoline as the Allies did, the true high-altitude performance of this design would have been recognized.

• 1 month later...

As of October 1, 2015 my build on this A/C is much less than 25% complete and I am holding off any further work on it until November 1, 2015 as per GB rules.  Looking forward to sharing this build and seeing all the magnificent work that will be appearing in this GB!

Kirk Johnston 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some work in progress over the weekend on the D-13. Fuselage assembled and some filling, blending in of the nose panels.  Also, continual dry-fitting of the wing and fuselage assemblies, which is going to require some work to get them to mate up without some large gaps.  The resin fuselage and nose panels from Grey Matter Figures are patterned by Jerry Rutman and the overall fit and quality is first rate, however as with most resin kits it does require several test fits along with tweaking here and there.  Have also fitted the Aires cockpit and getting that ready for paint along with the rear engine module as provided in the Hasegawa kit.  Beginning to look like a D-13.

IMG_0934_zpsyjroagrr.jpg

IMG_0932_zps1h13jbfe.jpg

IMG_0931_zpsjmrzsli5.jpg

IMG_0930_zps9cn6fpyh.jpg

IMG_0929_zpszxvgqsym.jpg

IMG_0936_zpsy4m8jwfx.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Completed spinner and prop blades.  I replaced the kit spinner and blades with the excellent Henri Daehne set for the D-13, takes sometime to assemble and finish but the end result tells the tale, perfect detail.   The D-13's leaked a tremendous amount of engine oil at the propeller hub seal due to the engine mounted 20mm cannon, which of course stained the spinner with streaked oil.  The final matt varnish coat really dulled my oil streaks, so going to lightly go back over the oil streaks with some of the AK Interactive Engine Oil to add some gloss back to it.

IMG_0947_zpsevjkfwh2.jpg

IMG_0946_zpshyecxrbu.jpg

IMG_0945_zpscynkytq5.jpg

IMG_0942_zpsn5zjbb7f.jpg

IMG_0941_zpskj7iejvb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, spinner mask came from a Montex set for the D-9, I have several sets and cannot remember which set I grabed the mask from, it was a close match for yellow 10 but not exact. After the amount of time that went into assembling and painting I was not going to worry about it. I had did some light weathering on the blades but really does not show up on the photos. A/C was only in service for a few weeks in March & April of 45 so keeping the wear and tear to a minimum. Finishing up the cockpit and engine insert and that will pretty much finish up building on the fuselage.

Kirk

• 5 months later...

This has become one of those projects that has become bogged down by constraints on my workbench time and the fact that the joint between the kit wing assembly and the resin fuselage has turned into a absolute nightmare, even after numerous dry fits, which of course all looked good. Now with the cockpit assembly and the rear half of the engine module permanently installed in the fuselage, I ended up with huge gaps between the wing root and the wing itself when ready to bring these two together, along with minimal area for gluing bond, meaning a very weak join between the two. Really beginning to think a resin conversion kit along with adding resin cockpit and well wheel sets is just not the answer for this particular kit.  Anyway, not sure how I am going to approach this, going to need a tremendous amount of work on the joint lines to make it look like anything other than poor and weak joint, very disappointed.  Anyway in the meantime, I have been tinkering with the ZM 1/32 Ta 152H-0 kit, and before I knew it, I now have most of the kit assembled and the full engine assembly built and painted, and I actually started the riveting process on the wings, so might just continue on with this one for a while, I am really enjoying the kit, very impressed with it, so much so I ordered ZM's new DO 335 kit.

So not sure at this point what will happen to my D-13 project, may be headed to the shelf of doom as there are just too many good kits awaiting to be built rather than struggling with this one. One for the experience files, do not try and incorporate several different resin sets into one build, recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...