The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Humbrol Gloss & Tamiya Acrylics

GusMac

Does anyone know if gloss coating with Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish from their Acrylic Spray range will work over Tamiya acrylics?

It's all I could get at the LHS and I've tested it on a small sample and aren't entirely happy with the result.

I'm not sure whether to go with it or wait and order some Tamiya gloss online. I'll be using it from the rattlecan as I don't think I can airbrush quickly enough yet to cover the Mig-23 in any reasonable timescale.

Any advice/tips gratefully received - I've got this far without screwing it up and I'm getting paranoid!

Thanks, Gus

Hi Gus,

In theory, since it is acrylic gloss over acrylic paint there should be no problem. I have never actually used Humbrol gloss, however. Tamiya gloss from the can would certainly be a safe bet.

You mentioned not wanting to airbrush the gloss finish, but have you considered trying "Future" floor wax straight from the bottle (I think it's sold as "Pledge Multi-Surface Wax" over there?) I've used it for years to gloss coat and have never had a problem.

Regards,

Ed

• Like 1

Thanks Ed. I have a bottle of Klear which seems to be the same stuff but haven't had the courage to try it. Too many questions!

From what you say it doesn't need thinning? Also, how does it react to Microsol/set? What's the best matt to use over it and how do you clean the airbrush afterwards?

May just give it a go on an old Skyray kit my son has lost interest in.

Thanks, Gus

• Like 1

Hi Gus,

I have always just poured it in the airbrush cup and fired away at 18-20 psi. I know some thin it, with everything from Windex to Gunze Levelling thinner, but I always thought spraying thinner-laced Future over acrylics was a recipe for disaster. Being something of a coward, I have never thinned it. It always seems to level well on it's own.

The method that works (for me) is spraying a few light misting coats, allowing a bit of time to dry between each coat....then a wetter, heavier coat atop that.

You can also mix Tamiya flat (X-21) at varying ratios with the future for a nice, durable matt/flat/semi-gloss coat, depending on the ratio. I generally find 1 part flat to 3 parts Future gives a nice sheen, but experiment first...it varies for me from one project to the next.

AND...clean your airbrush ASAP after shooting the Future. It cleans up very well with alcohol; some use ammonia-based cleaners but I've been told that over time that can wreak havoc inside the airbrush, and even strip the chrome finish.

Let me know how it goes if you give it a whirl.

Regards,

Ed

• 3 months later...