The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 110D of II./NJG3 (1/32 Dragon)

Okay, you know how when you Google for something, like 10, or 100 times and can't find anything? Then, on the 11th (or 101st!) time, it's right in front of you? Well, that's what happened with the little canisters in the gear bay. I decided to have one last look around, this morning, before gluing everything in and putting the wings together. I found what appears to be a photo taken from a period Luftwaffe manual and it would suggest that the canisters are, in fact a metallic color, but on the darker side. It's hard to judge from the type of photos in those manuals (and those who have looked at a lot of period Luftwaffe manuals will know what I mean), but this is the impression that I got. So, I ran with it.

I painted the canisters with Metalizer Magnesium, which I thought to likely be the closest, that I had on hand. I also touched the nozzles with brass.

20151125_102746_zpssuxsbyrd.jpg

I can't say with 100% confidence that this is right, but was better than nothing. I was going to post the photo form the manual, as well, but for some reason it only shows up in the search page and I can't go to the link for the photo to save it and the forum on which it was posted also fails to have the pics come up. In any case, I got that finished and glued everything together, including the wing halves. So, here we go.....

20151125_123947_zps7wv4ow8q.jpg

After this was done, I did a test fit of the wings to the fuselage. The supplied spars seem to set the dihedral quite well for the wings. However, there will certainly be some filling needed and possibly even a couple of shims on the belly, at the wing roots. Given that the rest has gone together so well, I think it's a small price to pay and since I'm used to this sort of thing on just about every seam, of every kit I normally do, it's no sweat.

I'm hoping to tinker with the engines over the holiday. I won't be exposing either and will just mock them up enough to hold what needs to be held and make everything fit properly. I'll post another update, hopefully within the next couple days.

John

• Like 1

Going well.  Nachtjager just around the corner.

I keep telling myself, "you're getting close to painting it." (which is my favorite part), but then have to tell myself to slow down. I still need to plan/add a few more details, such as the release cable for the dinghy, the reflector sight and possibly a few more knobs/levers/handles on the canopy parts. Not to mention painting the interior canopy framing and working up the brass barrels for all the guns. If I rush it and skip a bunch of that stuff, I'll probably end up regretting it, later on!

Thanks again, gents!

John

• Like 1

John, some good advice and something I have to constantly remind myself!

On the point of interior canopy painting, if I haven't already sold you, here are a couple of shots of last years Eduard Bf109E-4:

imagejpg5_zps19b58745.jpg

imagejpg9_zps33ec0fce.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsab479936.jpg

Time consuming but at the big scale, really worth the effort IMHO.

Regards,

• Like 2

Kent,

No doubt about it, I'm going to give it my best shot on the interior framing. Should be getting to that next week.

I was able to sneak back to the bench for a couple hours, tonight. I painted the interiors of the gear doors and also finished working on the slats. For the gear doors, I weathered them a little bit further than the bays. I figured that they would be more exposed to dust/spray when rolling and, once they were closed, would be catching all the gunk that fell off the wheels and gear. So.....

20151125_224034_zpssppcxg4j.jpg

Once I attached the wingtips, I checked the fit of the slats, then aligned everything for the rails/tabs that will hold them to the wing and cut those out of a thicker sheet of styrene. It took a little trimming and sanding, but I think I have them where I want them. The pic shows the tabs and one slat just pressed into place.

20151125_224249_zpsza8ui4c2.jpg

So, that's all for now. I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving!

John

• Like 3

I managed to get a few things done, today. I started with the props. The collars on the prop blades, even though fairly small, aren't supposed to be there. So I decided to remove them, since it looked simple enough. I think it took about 20 minutes to do all six blades, just by starting with a sanding stick, then moving to sand paper, followed up by a 7 stage nail polishing stick. I thought about thinning the blades a little, but decided against it, thinking that there was two propellers, so twice the chance of chipping a blade. In short, I chickened out. However, the kit's blades aren't really thick to begin with.

20151127_171031_zpsth6ljrvn.jpg

20151127_172855_zpsxxb8eg9f.jpg

After this, I installed the landing light. The yellow tinted cover was done by mixing a drop of yellow food coloring into a few drops of future, then mixing it up and brushing it on, being sure to dab away the excess run-off.

20151127_213059_zpslnaq5tpr.jpg

After that, I finished the seams on the wings, restored some panel lines and rivets, then started working on the port side engine and cowling. I only used the stripped down engine block and the piping behind the oil cooler. Just enough to hold everything in place and the few parts that would be visible (I didn't take pictures of the process on this one, because I wanted to do a test run on the sequence, first. I'll get photos and explain  what I did, in more detail, when I do the starboard engine.) . I did have to clean up a little glue on some of the seams and square up a couple of corners, but I was thrilled with how everything went together, overall. In the following photo, the upper cowl is only snapped in place. I haven't glued it, yet. With some slight pressure in the glue phase, it should be a near perfect fit. I haven't done the instruments on the inboard side of the cowl, yet. I still have to figure out exactly how I want to handle that. The kit's clear parts, with some Future, should show off the Eduard PE gauges, as best as is possible. The holes are just so tiny, it's hard to see what's in there to begin with.

20151128_013639_zpssbpsa0yh.jpg

The last thing I worked on was the Quickboost exhausts. I wanted to do a test fit, to be sure I could paint them separate and still be able to install them after the plane is painted. . They look absolutely fantastic and are somewhat flexible. However, the connection points between each pipe are very small and extremely fragile. I ended up breaking all but one of them. The worst part, is that CA glue doesn't work very well in repairing them. So, I'll be installing them in chunks, by the looks of things.

For paint, I started with Raw Umber, followed by a dry-brushing of rust, then a dry-brushing of magnesium (for a dark, burned metal look), followed up by a light rub with black pastel. Then I shot them with flat lacquer. I may add a few more highlights (and some much needed touch-ups, from looking at the photo) once they're installed and when I do the exhaust streaks on the wings, but these will do for now.

20151128_012926_zpsitnhlhlg.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

John

• Like 2

Last night and for a bit this morning, I continued working on the slats. I managed to put some inserts in the wings where I had cut them from. I also got the seams smoothed out and primed and started thinning the edges (the cut left a pretty thick appearance, which you can see in the slat on the left).

20151123_081632_zpstbn37glw.jpg

From here, I'll probably leave the rest of the work in this area until the wings are put together. So, next up will be the wheel/gear bays.

John

Nice reshaping of the slat thickness!

Thanks, guys!

I believe Mastercasters makes a set of slats, but I didn't bother to get a set. I figured I could cut these out and revamp them just as easily (and cheaper, too!). A flap set would be a great addition, though.

John

I'm not too fond of the Mastercasters products. I don't think his set would be any better than what you did yourself!

Okay, you know how when you Google for something, like 10, or 100 times and can't find anything? Then, on the 11th (or 101st!) time, it's right in front of you? Well, that's what happened with the little canisters in the gear bay. I decided to have one last look around, this morning, before gluing everything in and putting the wings together. I found what appears to be a photo taken from a period Luftwaffe manual and it would suggest that the canisters are, in fact a metallic color, but on the darker side. It's hard to judge from the type of photos in those manuals (and those who have looked at a lot of period Luftwaffe manuals will know what I mean), but this is the impression that I got. So, I ran with it.

I painted the canisters with Metalizer Magnesium, which I thought to likely be the closest, that I had on hand. I also touched the nozzles with brass.

I can't say with 100% confidence that this is right, but was better than nothing. I was going to post the photo form the manual, as well, but for some reason it only shows up in the search page and I can't go to the link for the photo to save it and the forum on which it was posted also fails to have the pics come up. In any case, I got that finished and glued everything together, including the wing halves. So, here we go.....

After this was done, I did a test fit of the wings to the fuselage. The supplied spars seem to set the dihedral quite well for the wings. However, there will certainly be some filling needed and possibly even a couple of shims on the belly, at the wing roots. Given that the rest has gone together so well, I think it's a small price to pay and since I'm used to this sort of thing on just about every seam, of every kit I normally do, it's no sweat.

I'm hoping to tinker with the engines over the holiday. I won't be exposing either and will just mock them up enough to hold what needs to be held and make everything fit properly. I'll post another update, hopefully within the next couple days.

John

In the Luftwaffe, air lines and bottles were painted blue. So if they're to be anything else than RLM02, I would think them to be blue. Then again, if those parts aren't bottles at all but fuel filters, the colour for fuel was yellow, for lubricants brown and for cooling fluid green.

German%252520Luft%252520piping%252520col

I managed to get a few things done, today. I started with the props. The collars on the prop blades, even though fairly small, aren't supposed to be there. So I decided to remove them, since it looked simple enough. I think it took about 20 minutes to do all six blades, just by starting with a sanding stick, then moving to sand paper, followed up by a 7 stage nail polishing stick. I thought about thinning the blades a little, but decided against it, thinking that there was two propellers, so twice the chance of chipping a blade. In short, I chickened out. However, the kit's blades aren't really thick to begin with.

20151127_171031_zpsth6ljrvn.jpg

After this, I installed the landing light. The yellow tinted cover was done by mixing a drop of yellow food coloring into a few drops of future, then mixing it up and brushing it on, being sure to dab away the excess run-off.

After that, I finished the seams on the wings, restored some panel lines and rivets, then started working on the port side engine and cowling. I only used the stripped down engine block and the piping behind the oil cooler. Just enough to hold everything in place and the few parts that would be visible (I didn't take pictures of the process on this one, because I wanted to do a test run on the sequence, first. I'll get photos and explain  what I did, in more detail, when I do the starboard engine.) . I did have to clean up a little glue on some of the seams and square up a couple of corners, but I was thrilled with how everything went together, overall. In the following photo, the upper cowl is only snapped in place. I haven't glued it, yet. With some slight pressure in the glue phase, it should be a near perfect fit. I haven't done the instruments on the inboard side of the cowl, yet. I still have to figure out exactly how I want to handle that. The kit's clear parts, with some Future, should show off the Eduard PE gauges, as best as is possible. The holes are just so tiny, it's hard to see what's in there to begin with.

20151128_013639_zpssbpsa0yh.jpg

The last thing I worked on was the Quickboost exhausts. I wanted to do a test fit, to be sure I could paint them separate and still be able to install them after the plane is painted. . They look absolutely fantastic and are somewhat flexible. However, the connection points between each pipe are very small and extremely fragile. I ended up breaking all but one of them. The worst part, is that CA glue doesn't work very well in repairing them. So, I'll be installing them in chunks, by the looks of things.

For paint, I started with Raw Umber, followed by a dry-brushing of rust, then a dry-brushing of magnesium (for a dark, burned metal look), followed up by a light rub with black pastel. Then I shot them with flat lacquer. I may add a few more highlights (and some much needed touch-ups, from looking at the photo) once they're installed and when I do the exhaust streaks on the wings, but these will do for now.

Thanks for stopping by!

John

Ah, good tip on the propeller-blade collars! Didn't know / notice! As for the yellow of the landing light: chances are that these were clear when the aircraft were in use but yellowed on museum pieces over the years.

As for the engine instruments: As far as I know, these were only present on the insides of the engines. To be able to use the engine cowls on both sides, both sides of the cowls had holes punched out.

• Like 1

Thanks for everything, guys!

Good progress, John. Especially like the exhausts - realistically colored, they look exactly

like the real thing - a welcome change from all the rust-addicts  ;)

George,

I think there's a time and a place for rusty exhausts. This just isn't it! I used a slight bit of rust in the painting of these pipes, but the intent is just to add a bit more subtle tone, rather than trying to make them look rusty.

Today I finished up the port side engine/cowl. I started by just building the main components of the engine that would be required to hold the prop, exhausts and oil cooler.

20151128_130748_zpsld7syhxw.jpg

20151128_133840_zpslo6anljw.jpg

After that, I attached the inserts around the exhaust to the lower cowl panel and attached that, as well. The engines both slope downward, slightly and this one even more than the first. So, a bit of pressure and a little more glue was required on this side to get it to settle in and then I hit it with CA accelerator. Still a bit of cleanup required, but it's taking shape.

20151128_141106_zpsgdgnxlra.jpg

20151128_141236_zpsbbqixulu.jpg

20151128_141550_zpskptjej5v.jpg

Thanks again!

John

• Like 1

I made a lot of progress today. I started off by getting the cowl instruments in order. I used the Eduard Zoom parts and the kit's "glass", which I had dipped in Future. I carefully glued them into place, but also put a strip of tape behind each one, just to be sure they would stay in place.

20151128_185143_zpsrzh3lpt0.jpg

20151128_190853_zpsx4ur1nwq.jpg

After that, I attached the wings to the fuselage. The fit on the top was very good, overall. The bottom had gaps to fill and I had to shim and putty them. I'm still working on the belly.....

20151128_235209_zpswzpblwgd.jpg

But the top got a preliminary coat of aluminum, to check the seams, but this will also serve as an undercoat for weathering, later on.

20151128_234600_zpsbz99781z.jpg

20151128_234632_zpsmtfvwdtu.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot...I found a small data plate to fit "the tapper". :D (can be seen at about 3 o'clock in this photo)

20151128_154717_zpsjqgrahin.jpg

I haven't masked the instruments yet, nor have I glued the cowl tops in position. I want to give the Future on the lenses a full 24 hours to dry before masking them. So, I'm going to call it a night and let things cure.

Regards,

John

• Like 2

I've spent more time getting the pre-painting done for the markings which will be masked/painted off. I'll post more pictures of that once it's ready for paint.

First, however, is the canopy, which I completely masked, inside and out. I started by masking the outside, first. Then, I used the exterior masks as a guide to line up for the interior. The Montex masks made it pretty easy, actually. I was expecting a lot more trouble than this! The masks seem to fit perfectly, so anything that's not properly lined up is my own fault, for sure, but it looks pretty good to me. I also added wire grab handles to the windscreen.

20151130_075007_zpscjqvfqeu.jpg

20151130_074603_zpstjcoap5k.jpg

There are just a few, small things left to do for the rest of the airframe before I can start painting. Right now, I'm enduring a snow storm. Kids are coming home early from school and I have to go get my wife from work. On the bright side, I might get snowed in and have nothing to do but work on this plane. :D

John

• Like 3

Thanks, everyone!

I had plenty of time to work today, so I got quite a bit done. The masking, while tedious, should be worth it in the end.

The canopy parts....

20151130_172700_zpsqwnp4vuw.jpg
20151201_003238_zpsfg8nj3mc.jpg
20151201_003418_zpsrmfgf4sx.jpg
20151201_003735_zpsagcoltph.jpg

I was also able to get most of the masking done, at least what can be done at this point. I'm still not sure if I'll run with "OP" (6. Staffel) as being the aircraft and staffel letters, but was just testing the idea. I still have a little bit of the light gray for the lettering to shoot, as I didn't get it close enough to the fuselage cross to the rear.

20151130_205802_zpsvqbqw4vn.jpg
20151130_205833_zpsixugjerf.jpg

From here, I started applying more RLM 65 to various spots where it will peek through. Not just on the bottom, but on the fuselage sides, also (However, most, if not all of it will be sprayed over with a heavy mottle). I also painted the bomb rack's exterior fairing in 65, then Aircraft Interior Black (same color as the canopy, but it appears greenish in certain light, in the pics).

20151201_003959_zpsixtamzaz.jpg
20151201_004138_zpsmy7xxfmn.jpg

20151201_004452_zpsch2djow8.jpg

Thanks again,

John

• Like 1

You're on fire John, I wish I had so much time for my build... Anyway, it's sure going to be a fine bird, I like what I see!

Thanks, Wouter! When I'm on a roll, I don't like to slow down!

Taking a lesson from George, by watching is fantastic Felixstowe build, I made eyelets for the raft release cable and the cable, itself from fishing line:

20151201_110219_zps8atxyciv.jpg

20151201_111402_zpskwnj3kue.jpg

20151201_122807_zpsnrsfuikp.jpg

A mask for the letter on the nose:

20151201_112201_zpswdpoktjf.jpg

20151201_113324_zpsj7mw0qzz.jpg

Once everything was masked, it was time for some camo. I went with a base splinter scheme of 02/71, but with some random sections of RLM 70 to break/darken things up. Of course, there's still a ton to do and I can't paint any further until I get the nose guns in place and the nose glued on. But, the base scheme is pretty much done. I'll let this cure, build the guns, install the nose and finish up the main paint, then I can start the transformation process to get this to (hopefully) look more like the plane in the photo.

20151201_213814_zpsah1dinyx.jpg

20151201_214301_zpsh7xhzw1d.jpg

20151201_214413_zpsw3jzfecs.jpg

20151201_214054_zpsd0moafw3.jpg

20151201_215014_zpszyyisktp.jpg

Thanks for following along, everyone!

John

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

Clearly an addictive kit, you can't stop working on it ( are you snowed in yet ?  ).

Good to see the finish coming together. Nice job, John.

I'm not technically "snowed in", but my wife has my vehicle while her's is in the shop, so I'm stranded, anyway. Not that I'm complaining!

I did some more work last night and this morning. The nose is still not glued, but I have it painted to the point that I'll be able to install it over the guns and possibly touch it up a little, but the fit is outstanding, so I don't see any issues (I just have it pressed in place right now and it stayed put while I was handling it to take the photos.). The only part left of the main painting phase is about half a wing on the underside, then touching up where the black wraps up and around the wing leading edges and the nacelles.

The most tedious part was all the masking for the markings. So far, I have not used a single decal and the only thing I've touched up is the "O" on the nose. This is easily the best masking experience I've ever had. Not that it didn't test my paitience (the masks for the upper wings, swastikas and fuselage crosses all suffered from shrinkage, so it took a little more stretching than normal), but I made it through with very few issues.

20151202_110419_zpspcpanutx.jpg

20151202_110525_zpsjctpm0wf.jpg

20151202_110744_zpsytvybsqp.jpg

20151202_110825_zpssmkrlivx.jpg

20151202_110959_zpsjduzhd2b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. I'm finding that, because of the black and the insufficient lighting in my shop, this model is very hard to photograph. If it wasn't cold, windy and snowy outside, I would rather be out there.

Thanks again,

John

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

No decals ? Amazing. Love the splinter camo too.

Well, I did add some stencil decals today, as well as the squadron crest. So, there are some decals, but not many.

I forgot to post last night's update, also. So, I'll throw those photos up in this post, first.

Release cable, painted to match the other markings where it crosses over them:

20151202_232845_zpsavfma8me.jpg

Finished the base painting of the underside:

20151202_235852_zpstvky6efn.jpg

20151203_000123_zpscrqstkt4.jpg

Started adding some subtle shading/fading:

20151203_012055_zps5mywytd7.jpg

That was last night's update.....tonight. :)

John

• Like 1

Now, for today's work, I got the decals applied, chipped the paint and shot a coat of semi-gloss to seal it.

20151203_091642_zps5a7mphbh.jpg

20151203_195618_zpsptch4mpz.jpg

After that, I started working with the oils, more enamel, flat coat and pastels (in every possible combination, backwards and forward!), then finished it off with a flat coat when I thought it looked ready.

20151204_020259_zpsgjaljhsh.jpg

20151204_020428_zpsllkcrmpk.jpg

20151204_020800_zpsnktuf4qx.jpg

20151204_020559_zpse80zt3au.jpg

20151204_020341_zpsnt7cf62x.jpg

Finally, starting to come to life, a little bit!

John

• Like 2

Thanks, George. I'm glad you like it!

Today I started working on some of the smaller details so I can get this finished. First off were the props. I was able to get one completely done, but I lost one of the little collars for the prop boss of the other unit, so I'll have to make another one before I can finish it. I also added an aluminum tube to the center of each. I realize that the paint chipping is on the trailing edge of one blade here. Need to fix that!

20151204_212601_zpsfrpyh2oa.jpg

20151204_215049_zpsegvtz52l.jpg

Next up was the nose guns. The hardest part was getting them all set up so that they would easily (HA!) move through the holes while putting the nose section on...for good! I did each gun, one at a time, checking the fit with every one and making adjustments. Once I got the barrel of each gun in place, I would hit the receiver of the weapon (where it's glued in) with accelerator to freeze it in place. I also discovered that the flash hiders on the Aber barrels are so sharply machined that they will easily slide into the end of you thumb if you try to push on one! blush.png

20151204_224844_zpsqrkzk9wm.jpg

20151204_224740_zpsapcohqca.jpg

20151204_231913_zpsgjlrcxzm.jpg

I was also able to get the landing gear installed, but they're not painted yet. That was probably a good decision, as it took a couple test runs to get them angled in right, since I chose not to install them earlier on, as per the instructions. I would recommend that anyone building this kit in the future at least do  dry run with the parts and get them sorted out, left and right, before you glue together the wheel bay in the wing. It's not insanely difficult to get them into place later, but knowing how it's supposed to go together and having all left/right parts separated and figured out is a big plus. Also, if you were to build the gear legs with all of the struts in place before putting it into the wheel well, later on, you would probably not be able to fit it in without breaking something.

So, tomorrow I hope to finish the wheels and landing gear and I also want to add brake lines. Then, it's on to finishing off the cockpit/canopy, then the final, small bits. It's getting close to being done, though!

Cheers!

John

• Like 3