• Administrators

1:35
Krupp 21 cm Mörser 10/16
Takom

Catalogue # 2015/2032

Available from Pocketbond for 29,99 pounds

krupp1.jpg

Introduction

After the sudden onslaught of WW1 aviation subjects in our Large Scale, we see a sudden sprint on the armour front as well. Both cottage industry brands as larger brands see opportunities and surprise us with often lesser known monstrous Great War subjects. Tamiya, Meng and Takom take on some impressive ‘heavies’, whereas Tommy’s War, The Fusilier and Aviattic treat us to a whole new range of figures and equipment.

I guess most of us modelling nuts know the British WWI Male and Female tank. But who knew the St. Chamond? The Char 2C? The Schneider tank? Or the Krupp Mörser for that matter?

WW1 subjects sure offer great potential for diorama modellers who can shape their dreams in mutt and plastic despair. One of my favourite modellers these days within this subject without a doubt is Per Olav Lund.

Some pictures of his amazing work:

8.jpg

9.jpg

History
Let’s have a look at the name first. Krupp obviously is the factory that produced this weapon and is famous for it’s (field) guns. Founded in 1810 in Essen and delivering guns to the Russian, Turkish and Prussian armies. Nowadays Krupp has merged with Thyssen and continues under one brand: ThyssenKrupp AG and is still Germany’s 5th largest steel company.

thyssenkrupp_logo_2718.gif

(You may have seen their logo in an elevator...)

The Mörser (Mortar in english) 10/16 replaced the older Mörser 99 which lacked recoil and a protective shield for the crew. The 10/16 also featured a longer barrel than the older model 99 (and was often also referred to as Länger Mörser) which gave it a longer range of almost 10km(!). These numbers in the type names derive from the year they were developed. The K98 rifle for instance was developed in 1898. The Mörser 99 was developed in 1899 and the Mörser 10 in 1910 (and further upgraded in 1916).

tumblr_nsiq66VFuD1rqpszmo5_1280.jpg

There’s an interesting video on YouTube that shows the production and use of this canon:

Amazingly 12 Mörser 10 types survived to this day and about 17 of the Mörser 16.  Mostly in the USA and Australia.

Check this link to see if there’s one in your vicinity for a good walkaround:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canons/English_CanonsIndex_NationPHP.php#Allemagne

As I found one is on display in the Belgian War Museum in Bussels in a great colourscheme and mounted for transport.

Here's the one at Brussels:

210m1916MRABruxellesA.jpg

And here's one covered in grey paint withstanding the elements in the USA:

210M16Harrisonburg2.jpg

The kit
Takom spends time on their design and box-art. What strikes is the relatively small size of the box that contains 4 grey sprues, some photo etch, decals and rubber rings to secure the wheels. Somehow I expected this kit to be bigger, but it’s well researched and definitely complete!

It’s also clear that Takom has a steady partnership with AMMO (Mig Jimenez) products, since their logo is present on the colourguide, and the AMMO paint codes are used throughout.

krupp2.jpg

So, 4 relatively small sprues:

Sprue A: With the wheels, gunshield and elevation mechanics.

The wheels are crisp and well detailed with clear definition of the nuts and bolts. The only thing you might want to add is the securing pin through the wheel axle/hub. You can see this part on the photo of the Brussels example. Included in the kit are normal / conventional spoked wheels and the tracked wheels for heavy terrain. These give the gun an impressive stance.

A small point of attention (or rather three of them) are the ejector pin marks on the inside of the shield. These are easy to get rid off, since no small detail is immediately surrounding it.

krupp3.jpg

krupp4.jpg

krupp5.jpg

Here's the rear of the shield with some marks to get rid off:

krupp6.jpg

Sprue B: With the breech and the main frame.

These parts make up the base of the gun and show no pin marks on the visible outside. Assembly of the gun starts with these parts and give you an idea of the size.

krupp7.jpg

krupp8.jpg

krupp9.jpg

Sprue C: With the breech, axles and smaller details.

No flash, no pin marks and little to no clean up necessary.

krupp10.jpg

krupp11.jpg

Sprue D: With the optional track-pads, barrel and small details.

The track pads have some ejector marks on the inside and I guess you could opt to remove them, but when attached they will be hardly visible. Also on this sprue is the shorter Mörser 10 barrel and the longer Mörser 16 barrel. Both take the photo etch rifling on the inside which will take some elbow grease to get it to fit seamlessly I imagine.

krupp12.jpg

krupp13.jpg

In my sample two small photo etch frets are present. Upon further inspection I found a single correction sheet in the box stating that PE-part TP-7 (on the bigger sheet) is incorrect and should be replaced by the included single TP-7 part that is provided. This may or not be the case with your kit. Just make sure to check the photo in this review whether you have the correct part.

krupp21.jpg

krupp20.jpg

The instruction come in a small A5 booklet with well defined shaded 3D impressions. I favour this style over hand drawn or photographed instruction illustrations any day! In no more than 18 steps the gun falls together and this is where the real work starts. Since these guns saw heavy battle, you can really go to town with your weathering pigments, chipping medium and oil washes. No wonder AMMO committed it’s name to this line of kits…

krupp14.jpg

krupp15.jpg

Seven schemes are offered in a foldable booklet, printed in colour in 4 sided profiles:

krupp16.jpg

krupp17.jpg

krupp18.jpg

1.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 10

Imperial German Army 1871-1919

World War 1, Sereth front, Romania  | 1917 | Dark Grey

1.jpg

2.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 10

Unknown

World War 1 | Yellow Gray, Forest Green

2.jpg

3.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 10

Captured by the Canadian Army

21st Battalion 27th City of WPG

World War 1, Vimy Ridge  | August 1917 | Yellow Gray, Green Base

Decals are provided for this scheme only, since the Canadians left some of their graffiti on their spoils of war!

3.jpgkrupp19.jpg

4.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 16

Unknown

World War 1 | Dull Green, Ochre Earth, Clay Brown

4.jpg

5.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 16

World War 1, Artois  | 1916 | Forest Green with Ochre Earth, Clay Brown blotches

5.jpg

6.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 16

Canadian Army

World War 1, East of Arms | October 1918 | Yellow Gray, Brown Soil, Dull Green

6.jpg

7.     Krupp 21cm Mörser 16

World War 1, Ham (Somme)  | March 1918 | Brown Soil, Dull Green, Ochre Earth

7.jpg

Verdict

I would rate this kit a solid 9 out of a 10.
For Takom’s choice of subject. After all: these guns made some impact in their days, but are lesser known than their WWII offspring. These guns (like the Big Bertha soon to be released) offer endless diorama possibilities and pay homage to so many men that lost their lives in the Great War. But also a 9 out of 10 for the quality of Takom’s kits. The moulding, finish and engineering. Right down to the fact you get to choose out of no less than 7 schemes! These kits might someday just pull me over to the dark side… As a matter of fact I found myself browsing Tommy’s War and The Fusilier websites, looking for some appropriate figures to go alongside my Mörser…

Highly recommended if you are venturing into Great War subjects.

Our sincere thanks to Pocketbond for this review sample. To purchase your Mörser 10/16 click here. 

Jeroen Peters

• Like 3

• Administrators

Another prime review Jeroen, thank you.

Fascinating kit, and indeed a 1st class centerpiece for a muddy diorama.

And plenty of scope for indulging the painting habit.

I'll get one pronto 

Cheers George!

It really is a gem and beggans to get dirty ;)

• 3 weeks later...