The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AERO Line Plusmodel 1/48 BAC Lightning pilot

One-Oh-Four

AERO Line

AL 4058 

1/48 Pilot figure for BAC Lightning

Available for $11.30 or Eur7,90 from Plusmodel

YBT_5418.jpg

The blister pack contains one 1/48 resin figure of an English Electric / BAC Lightning pilot in 1960's flightgear.

This is how the figure looks when unpacked, a fine film of resin "flash" has to be removed.

YBT_5420.jpg

Just breaking away the flash on both sides gives the following result, without me removing the last traces of mould lines:

YBT_5432.jpg

YBT_5433.jpg

It's evident that the figure is beautifully mastered and cast. It looks quite accurate too, except for one detail which I will highlight later. First have a look at the characterful face:

YBT_5429.jpg

There are no written paint instructions or mention of what colors to use. What is provided is a nice color drawing of a Lightning pilot:

YBT_5419.jpg

Comparing the torso of the pilot to the drawing and some period photos we can see the issue that I mentioned before: the life jacket is not going around the back of the pilot and the inflatable part looks to be too wide as on the shoulders of the figure.

Lightninghqdefault.jpg

YBT_5430.jpg

Of course it doesn't have to be a deal breaker: The inflatable part of the life jacket can have it's corners softened with some use of a modeling knife or a file, the textile part around the back can easily be made from some putty that figure modelers use to make straps or pieces of textile. The rest of the details like the oxygen hoses look very good indeed!

Lightning6492400895_90946736e2_b.jpg

At first I had some doubt on the accuracy of the flight helmet but it has a very good likeness to the Mk.1A flight helmet, only lacking in the widening of the sides for the earphones. The fact that the helmet isn't empty is also accurate, since the Mk.1A was used together with a cloth inner helmet.

RAFmk1a8906171.jpg

rafmk1A.jpg

RAFMk1A2.jpg

All in all HIGHLY RECOMMENDED with only the tasks to paint or model the back part of the life jacket and the slight bulges on the sides of the helmet if the modeler wants.

I'd like to thank Plusmodel for providing LSM with the review sample!

A shot of another two RAF pilots. Slightly different gear since they are bomber pilots on the Canberra:

Lightning6349090142_ee1a678103_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...