JeroenPeters

• Administrators

A.M.U.R. Reaver

Bf 109 G and K Airscrew

RC3206 & RC3212

Bf109 G Airscrew available here from A.M.U.R. Reaver

Bf109 K Airscrew available here from A.M.U.R. Reaver

amur_prop1.jpg

I for one had not heard of this brand a month ago. Still, upon doing some research, I found some reviews of A.M.U.R. Reaver products dating back to 2013. A mix of modern and ww2 subjects, mostly done in resin and photo etch and either in 48th scale or 32nd scale. Airbrakes, Flare / Chaff dispensers, meshes, etc. But the thing that triggered me was an extensive range of correction sets for the 32nd scale Bf109E, G and K series, offered by both Revell and Hasegawa. LSM Mikester already beat me to the punch by doing a nice review on their Bf109G-10 Erla correction set for the Revell kit, which replaces the entire nose:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4201-amur-reaver-132-bf109g-10-erla-correction-sets-for-revell/

Bf109 G and K Spinner corrections

The spinner and prop type fitted on the Bf109 G versions was officially registered as 12087 A-type prop (or also VDM 9-12087), whilst the Bf109 K series carried the 9-12159 A-type prop (or also called VDM 9-12159).

Here you have the G and K version alongside each other:

109G_K.jpg

Bf109G prop:

109G_1.jpg

Bf109K prop:

109K_1.jpg

You often see the scratch made correction of the spinners on both the Hasegawa and Revell kit, where the modeller will correct the openings for the prop blades by making them more tear shaped instead of U-shaped. This is often done with some greencard and will keep you busy for an hour. But there is more work to be done on these spinners to make them more accurate. As you can see in these photo’s, the A.M.U.R. Reaver ones’ are slightly more pointed and offer far more refined detail on the surface. Also the protruding barrel is delicately replicated and hollow.

Correct shape of prop opening:

spinner.jpg

This photo that Mikester posted in his Revell Bf109G10 review shows the slightly pointed shape of the Bf109G spinner:

Bf_109_G-10_nr_3_utv_12_zps7f0e33a9.jpg

And here you can see the shape difference between the Hasegawa (right) and A.M.U.R Reaver spinners:

109G_Amur_hase2.jpg

And this photo (also posted by Mikester earlier) shows the nozzle and prop openings:

IMG_zpsec134d35.jpg

Note the detail on the business end of the resin upgrade:

109_spinner.jpg

Another thing A.M.U.R. Reaver correction is the chord and shape of the blades. You can clearly see the difference at the base of the prop blades and along the leading edge, which appears more rounded in the resin versions.

The prop blades slide snuggly in the resin spinner. You can even adjust the pitch and you don’t actually need to use any glue. The Hasegawa prop blades have locating pins at the base that glue in the spinner base-plate, whilst the Revell offering have some sort of cross-beam that also force the angle of attack. Not that there’s anything wrong with this per se, but they just do J

Check out the blade shapes (Hasegawa Bf109G, resin Bf109G and resin Bf109K):

alle_drie_blades.jpg

Here's a shot of the resin Bf109G, Hasegawa Bf109G and resin Bf109K props on a row:

all_3.jpg

The resin allows you to instantly replace the Revell spinners and only need a little modification to mount to the Hasegawa plastic.

Here's a shot from the A.M.U.R. Reaver website, showing some contrast in the rivets on the Bf109G:

15991708532_609fc5a695_o.jpg

Verdict

With so many knowledge openly available, so many Bf109 purists around and so many upgrade and corrections available for the Bf109 kits, these spinners are just icing on the cake. Yes, they correct the spinner and prop blade shape slightly and add some delicate rivet and fastener detail at the same time. Also the hollow and delicate gun nozzle adds to the realism. The fit of the prop blades in the spinners is soothing to the OCD’s around and shows craftsmanship on A.M.U.R. Reavers part. At US$ 9,50 these upgrade / corrections are reasonable priced. Do you need them? Well, if you trip over wrong canopy and oil cooler shapes you do!

A special thanks to A.M.U.R. Reaver for the review samples.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Peters

• Like 1

• Members

That's the whole appeal of the kit when you've got ravenous aftermarket acquisition syndrome. I'm bad about buying it when I don't even need it. It may end up being as expensive as a Tamiya build in the end, but oh well...AM is fun...and addictive I've found :D

Tell me about it!  If resin was a controlled substance I'd be the next Tony Montana!