1/32 He-111 Rear Wheel Bay & Rear Turret - Profimodeller

JeroenPeters

• Administrators

Profimodeller

He-111 Rear Wheel bay & Rear turret

Sn# 32270

Available here directly from Profimodeller

he111_1.jpg

The Revell He-111P-1 kit was soon followed by the much more popular H-6 kit. With the P1 version offering a far smaller scope for versions and theatres and DB601 power plants that defined the shape of the engine nacelles to and extend that later versions would need a massive conversion, the H-6 kit was welcomed with open arms by modellers. An impressive and ever growing list of upgrades is available today, with Eduard and CMK in the lead.

With a subject that is huge and can be quite un-interesting to the eye in terms of detail on the surface, opening up some panels here and there prove useful. Eduard released a full set of PE showing the internal bomb-bay, but that will only be properly visible if you place the model on a mirror. The cockpit detail can be upgraded to the max, but once this is closed up, you need pretty good eyes to enjoy it. The same goes for the wheelbays… So, what can we open up?

The whole enchilada! With HPH internal details, covering the entire fuselage. But this means leaving the whole thing open, missing wings etc…  Review here: http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/132-135-scale/132-aftermarket-items/1973-1-32-heinkel-he-111p-cutaway-kit-from-hph

CMK brings us the wing fuel tanks, but again, these are only visible from the underside. If you want to add some drama to your He-111 I suggest you get the CMK fuel filler necks and Life Raft set. This is located in the fuselage spine and will be very visible. And if you’re going for a later H-version of the He-111 (H-3 and upwards) I suggest you get this little gem I’m reviewing here as well. Here’s why..

Some (not all) later model He-111H’s were equipped with an extra sting in the tail. An MG17 could be installed behind the tailwheel and was fired by one of the crew-members situated halfway or in front of the aircraft. I have not been able to figure out who actually pulled the trigger on this extra gun, but I can imagine it was the top turret gunner, since he would look to the rear, from a good position. It also have been fired by the gunner from the gondala, but I just can’t find a source that confirms my suspicions.

The photo of the tail gun with panels off, as used on the packaging of this set:

124e3cef42f36fbe4018a26eec4ba725.jpg

Here's another shot. This one is from the Squadron book:

He111-H6Tailgun-17.jpg

And another one. Slightly different:

TailStingerSmall.jpg

The AeroDetail book I have states that the extra tail gun was installed on the H-3 up to H-16 versions, but I’ve seen many H-3 examples without the gun. Another thing I noticed, is that the gun IS present on the HPH internal detail kit, which in fact is an earlier P-version. I did find two photographs of two different crashed He-111P’s (during the Battle of Britain, 1940) that both have the tail gun, installed to fire in a downward angle in one, and rear firing angle in the other. The AeroDetail book shows a drawing of the tail gun firing straight back, with an additional drawing of the gun firing in this downward angle (as in the photograph). The way the text is written in the AeroDetail book I can’t make up whether they mean 2 MG17’s in the tail or just one, but with two different angle options. So be sure to check your references. I will however install this baby in my He-111P.

A photo of a crashed He-111P with tail sting:

14.08.40-he-111-1g002bfs.jpg

Here's a look at the AeroDetail book drawing, showing the two stances:

book2.jpg

There are sources that claim the gun wasn’t there to effectively shoot down enemy fighters, but more as a repellent. A way to keep enemy fighters at bay. Perhaps this is the reason you don’t see a whole lot of this set-up being used.

The upgrade

What we get is the typical sturdy white cardboard box we are accustomed to by Profimodeller. Inside we find a single sheet of photo etch, instructions and a smaller box, containing the resin parts, Master MG17 brass barrel and cooling jacket.

he111_2.jpg

The rear bulkhead is done in conventional yellow resin, but all the other parts are done in a stronger, black kind of resin. I can imagine this was done to add strength. Bare in mind that these parts are connected to the tail wheel installation, which carrier the entire rear weight of the model. The photo etch sheet has the panel framing with fastener eye-lets and the tailwheel bay interior with delicate stringers. I managed to find an original Heinkel drawing in my Ersatzteilliste book (Thnx Cees!) which show all the parts offered in this upgrade.

Here's the drawing from the Ersatzteilliste book (albeit without the gun):

book1.jpg

The instructions are clear and tell you to bend and use the two panels as a template to mark where to cut the Revell plastic. I’d suggest to thin the plastic at the edges too in order the achieve proper scale thickness. At first I thought it strange that no stringer detail was offered for the tailcone, but looking at the drawings in my library, I can see that the tail cone is just that. A non-reinforced cone that was placed over the gun mounting frame. So the only thing you need to do is to thin out the edges. Especially when displaying the tail with the panels next to it, as in the box top photo.

he111_3.jpg

he111_4.jpg

Bulkheads:

he111_5.jpg

he111_7.jpg

Gun mounting frame:

he111_8.jpg

MG17:

he111_6.jpg

All in all this conversion / upgrade will take a good look at your references. First to check whether the version you’re building had this set-up, and secondly to see how it looked. For example: if you look at the photo’s, you’ll see the panels overlapped the cone, meaning there was no paint on the overlapping parts.

​The photo etc sheet:

he111_11.jpg

Master brass:

he111_10.jpg

The instructions:

instr2.jpg

instr1.jpg

A look at the original Revell part, in need of some TLC:

35-IMG_7610.jpg

Verdict

As said in the introduction, I myself welcome any upgrade for the He-111 making it more interesting to look at. This here is a well researched, complete and good executed upgrade / conversion that does just that. The He-111’s size doesn’t allow a lot of modellers to build a whole range of them, so when you’re having a crack at it, you might as well go to town on it. I know I am!

With the detail of the He-111 being somewhat of a disappointment (over the previous Ju88 kit) the tail gun could sire use a little love. Of course you could fix that with just the Master barrels brass gun, but then you’ll miss out on the opportunity I prompted earlier: opening up some panels!

A special thanks to Profimodeller for the review sample.

To order directly from Profimodeller, click here.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Peters

• Like 1