The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Hi all,

Although this project has been started in the work in progress section recently, I thought it fitting to continue it here.

For the previous work done, see here:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4248-from-lancaster-to-manchester-a-tale-of-two-cities-lsm-exclusive/

I have been concentrating on the interior structure, which has almost be finished. the two oblong windows typical for the Manchester have been opened up carefully, which went surprisingly easy. Thankfully as some 18 or so more need to be opened up in the fuselage, and need to be uniform too. The skinpanels have been pencilled in before rescribing. Also have made a start converting the Lancaster tailfin into the shorter Manchester triple tail version.

Hope you like.

Cheers

Cees

20160101_160829_zpsuir8ytpq.jpg

1451642459399_zps1kowasax.jpg

20160101_160846_zpsdwgwqr6y.jpg

1451500376533_zpsnwwoaqbg.jpg

1451500765630_zpsngiabnth.jpg

1451502285921_zpsyxs7bbaa.jpg

Yes I can, but will have to wait six months hehe.

I'm on a roll here and enjoying this kit immensely. Have been experimenting with rivetting the

cockpitfloor. The Lanc used dome headed rivets in the fuselage and due to the greenhouse

canopy will be very visible. Weathering will bring out the detail too later.

using rosie the rivetter tool I got from Jeroen the panellines were recreated.

Cheers

Cees

1451673034261_zpshk31u0tx.jpg

20160101_194816_zpsvljq6kvk.jpg

• Like 2

another instalment,

This will be an early triple tail manchester which had a span smaller than the Mk Ia and later Lancaster. So some more surgery was needed.

the other tailfin was also shortened. The endplates need to be fitted to the tailplanes and the fins need an aerofoil sanded, but the basic Manchester tail is shaping up very well.

Cheers

Cees

20160103_170410_zpsorpzmeyq.jpg

20160103_171722_zpswcrvp4io.jpg

20160103_174313_zpsysxqtjdo.jpg

Update,

The tailfeathers have been set in place using tape with the central fin still a plastic card template. Shape of things to come.

Also the elevators have been removed so these can be set at an angle. These still need detailing.

Cees

20160104_191516_zps1b4tjdve.jpg

20160104_195338_zpsb0konaon.jpg

Thanks Fran,

Before diving headfirst into cockpit detailing I decided to get the basic components roughly ready. The wingtips were removed

from the outer wings. The wings themselves will be radically converted by reducing the span chord and taper of the outer wings.

The aileron position need to be changed as well. Lust u nog peultjes? But that will come much later to preserve my sanity.

I also managed to re-use the tailwheel fork and tyre. The latter had the anti-shimmy groove sanded off and the edges will be rounded off

to create the earlier balloon tyre. (shimmy is similar to your shopping trolley where one wheel doesn't want to keep straight but keeps on spinning around its axis).

Hope you like.

Cheers

Cees

20160106_193509_zpsqwaqtznb.jpg

20160106_202312_zpsckixfona.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Cees, looking great. Can't imagine chopping up something like this without stressing so much about screwing it up. You're a brave man!

As a pedantic physicist the proper name for the shimmy is precession and it is also a pain in the a**s with our hospital trolleys and wheelchairs!

Cheers

Gus

• Like 1

Hi Cees,

Thanks for sorting out access, I can now finally post and say how inspirational your build is, the next best thing to seeing a real one! Can't believe how fast you're moving through it either, can't wait to see more :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work is continuing with the tedious stuff, engraving the panellines. Using dymotape and a Tamiya scriber. Also noted that the bombbay was too short so cut that part out too. Have to stick that bit back on the bombdoors later.

Cheers

Cees

20160115_193646_zpso2mqaoxj.jpg

20160115_194957_zps3ogxqcf9.jpg

• Like 1

The main fuselage has been rescribed. Very pleased about the strakness of the lines.

Note to self: mark out entrance door first before rescribing. Saves me some filling.

Mr Surfacer will take care of that one.

Glad that major bit is out if the way. Marking out the apples....errr windows next.

Cees

20160117_181859_zps23x13lxz.jpg

• Like 1