The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Still working on the elevators, this time the hinges which are a bit difficult as they are all different in height. The elevators were fabric covered and I intend

to use strips of Tamiya tape to represent these. Perhaps there are other possibilities too?

Also tried to experiment with rivetting on the stabilizers but failed to get a straight line, even when using a plastic ruler.

How do you guys do it?

Cees

Hi Cees,

another way to represent the fabric is cutting small masks from Tamiya tape for the parts where no ribbing is supposed to be. The lower parts if you will. Place those masks and you are left with the ribbing parts uncovered. Now spray or paint some Mr. surfacer 500 where the ribs are. Build op in several layers. After drying remove the tape and blend the ribbing with some careful sanding. When done right, it should be more to scale then using actual tape.

About the rivetting, i'm certainly not an expert and have failed many times. But what works for me is taping a piece of dymo tape on the model and use that as a guide. 

Cheers, Wouter

• Like 1

Thanks Wouter,

Very useful information. I will try the Mr Surfacer technique. By coincidence I saw the recent issue of Air Modeller which had a magnificent 1/48

scratchbuilt Stirling by Tsonos Megas. The fabric flying surfaces were also done by this technique and it looked very authentic.

Think the rivetteing routine will not be my cup of tea as the majority of the ex-Lancaster parts have been firmly glued together and there is almost no

flat surface to work on apart from the horizontal tail. And I failed miserably on those. ;)

Cheers
Cees

• Administrators

Hi Cees,

another way to represent the fabric is cutting small masks from Tamiya tape for the parts where no ribbing is supposed to be. The lower parts if you will. Place those masks and you are left with the ribbing parts uncovered. Now spray or paint some Mr. surfacer 500 where the ribs are. Build op in several layers. After drying remove the tape and blend the ribbing with some careful sanding. When done right, it should be more to scale then using actual tape.

About the rivetting, i'm certainly not an expert and have failed many times. But what works for me is taping a piece of dymo tape on the model and use that as a guide. 

Cheers, Wouter

What he said! ;)

Hi Cees, I'd agree with Wouter.

I've only tried the rivetting a couple of times but the Dymo tape worked for me - not having a proper wheel or anything, being able to measure and mark the spacings on the tape with a pen was also a big help.

Think you've put more effort into the tail of this beast than I have into some entire kits ! Certainly worth it though.

Gus

Thanks Gus,

That was not the intended thing to do but when Robert Kirby, a noted Manchester author, mentioned that the tailsplane span was the same as the Lanc's I had to undo my previous work. Spent yesterday putting a coat of Mr Surfacer on the fins and elevators and it is a subtle difference.

Pics soon as I do not want to show the same pics every time with just a small bit of work done.
Cees

Ok, on to some pics. As I was about fed up with fumbling those elevators and fins I yearned for some nice conversion work.

I decided to convert the starboard outer wing into the Manchester's more tapered and lesser span. Measuring from the

drawing I marked out the cutting lines and started....well you know,.........hacking and sawing.

The pics show the extent of the carnage. But it was succesful.

After further cleaning up and glueing together the end needs to be trued and bevelled to the correct dihedral and the outer end cut to lenght. The Lancaster wingtips will then be reattached. I have done it before in 1/48 so it should work....I hope.

Cheers

Cees

20160225_194503_zps4cje2y86.jpg

20160225_194825_zpss69aqgrg.jpg

20160225_195745_zpsmpk4vyjq.jpg

20160225_195803_zpsersf2dom.jpg

• Like 1

Phweww, just in time before someone posted a reply......

Got back from a very enjoyable day in Antwerp with my usual chauffer Jeroen. Flanders Contest. When I came home

I had the urge to do some modelling and the port wing has been sectioned as well. Glueing the bits together is on the agenda tomorrow.

Pics to follow.

Don't you dare to post a reply in the meantime LOL.

Cees

Hi Woody, check you haven't hit the 'minimise' icon at the top right of the section which shuts the section and leaves the title text faintly visible.

I only know that as I must have done it by accident and lost the WNW section.

Gus

Neil,

It would not be a good idea to hide a public competition :)

As you say the wings are taking shape, a lot to do. I do not want to have them come apart so really smothered the insides with

glue. Including the inside of the seams to make sure. The most difficult bit is to true the part that attaches to the centre section,

and these have to be uniform otherwise the dihedral will be off. We'll see how this works out. When that is done I can cut the

outer ends to length and attach the wingtips. Slowly but surely the general airframe takes shape. Already thinking about those

engine nacelles.

Cees

Ok another mammoth sanding session by Sander Schuurmans. The thickness is different between the tip and the butting section of the wing itself. 2mm on both sides. Luckily I had a small handplane which really made (a mess too) the job much easier. The Lanc prototype has thick wing tips which really need to be thinned.

Cees

20160301_203327_zpsjkeaw2he.jpg

Luckily the plastic is quite thick to allow some hefty sanding. You can't tell it's 3D printed, you can do anything as with a regular plastic model.

As soon as I have finished the session it is vacuum cleaning time.

Cees

Hope you didn't sneeze just after you took that last photo, Cees! That is an impressive pile of shavings.

Can't imagine taking a plane to a model and ending up with such a neat result.

Gus

Yes,and you may call me Sneezy if you like. Spenter yesterday another two hours sanding the wingtips to get a nice

transition from the root to the tip. It is now finished and the cutting out of the landing light apertures can begin. Then

next the port wing (sigh!).

But getting there.

Cees