The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

converting the HK Models prototype Lancaster into a Manchester.

Well I took one step forward this evening and one step back. Result: zero, zilch, nada, noppes.

But I have learned a few things:

-make sure you mark the correct position of the window on the lower panelline not the upper one doh!

-it is possible to open op the windows accurarely

-it is possible to plug in the hole with a suitable piece of plasticcard or clear plastic and sand it completely smooth

-it is better to fit the glazing portions and sand them smooth before painting. Masking is better

Well, it was a useful evening without any practical progress, but fun altogether. And I learned something too. Nobody said modelling was easy.

Cheers

Cees

20160118_202819_zpsdt1rima6.jpg

• Like 1

Some more opening tales, positive ones this time.

Spent an hour or so to open up the side windows, it went very well using a template all windows are reasonable uniform.

I really hope HK Models will provide the windows as cutting out all of them is not easy.

Cheers

Cees

20160119_202645_zpsywqrvb6l.jpg

20160119_202654_zpsw3scelau.jpg

• Like 2

Neither can I Gus, :)

Just think about a problem, start on it, make mistakes, eradicate them, start anew, etc etc.

This evening another window opening session. 7 windows in an hour is reasonable. Some

14 still to go. As this subject is very much to my liking, tediousness is not an issue.

But fun altogether.

Cees

Just a query Cees. Why did they have so many windows in the sides of a night bomber?

Wouldn't have thought sightseeing was high on the priority list!

Gus

Odd - I was just asking myself that exact question! Can anyone (ahem) shed any light on the subject?

Thanks chaps,

IIRC one of the requirements for the Manchester was troop carrying. Having windows to look out of would have been comforting.

Neil, I will bring it over to Telford this year again (albeit in a bit different composition compared to the previous show)

Cees

Actually

The specification to which the Manchester and Halifax were designed called for a whole wishlist of tasks. The Air Ministry could not make up their minds

what tasks the aircraft were to perform, so they wanted them all in one design. Including catapult assisted take-off. This caused some problems for the designers

(and yes the Manchester and Halifax are to be compared, not the Lancaster and the Halifax). The Lancaster windows were generally deleted in 1943-ish.

Cees

Sterling work there Cees (not Stirling!!!!!......wouldn't one of those be magnificent in 1/32nd!?). I'm glad you've said 1943ish for when the Lancaster windows "disappeared", I've talked to Harry Holmes about this issue but not even he can pin down an exact date, drawing or spec for it.

Max

• Like 1

True Max,

I have seen Lancs with windows built after 1943.

So pure speculation here. Windows were also overpainted. So I really hope HKM will include them.

Beter to fill or paint them over other than cutting them all out (speaking from experience). :D

Cees

All windows have been succesfully cut out, Next cleaning up, painting the inside of the fuselage black ( nice idea I nicked from Tom Probert)

and then start fitting the windows. another tedious job but it has to be done.

Ceed

I'm not that good George!

Been dabbling with the windows, this went surprisingly well. I made them roughly to the correct size and fine tune them later.

Port side is done. Starboard side started already. Clear plastic was provided by an old cd-case. Tape prevents the windows from falling out.

Cheers

Cees

20160125_201828_zpskjb2ykig.jpg

20160125_201834_zpssisqnqhr.jpg

Update

Gathering information for the Vulture engine nacelles.

1453921683959_zpsvr9yfp6i.jpg

After filing and fitting 24 small windows I felt the need for a change.

The horizontal stabilizers needed endplates fitted on which the fins will

later be mounted. So some laminates of plasticard were roughly shaped

to be later sanded to an aerofoil.

20160127_202400_zpsaxxdmlyi.jpg

Cheers

Cees

Funny you say that George,

I do have some Merlin engine sprues in the sparesbox that can be used to build an engine. But that will be a lot of work and

I don't like models with gaping wounds.  So not for me. But Jeroen has offered to provide his 3d-skills to draw the nacelle and

have them printed. The basic shape is quite simple so should be doable. Props will be a problem (as on the 1/48 version) as

they have a larger diameter than the then current comparable De Havilland props used on the Hampden, Blenheim, Wellington etc.

But we will cross that bridge when I come to it.

By the way, over the years more Vultures have been found, I noticed that the RAF Museum have three in a similar conditon.

Who knows, perhaps somebody will want to reconstruct a full size Manchester, but will have to butcher a real Lancaster in the

process. ;)
Cees

• Administrators

Funny you say that George,

I do have some Merlin engine sprues in the sparesbox that can be used to build an engine. But that will be a lot of work and

I don't like models with gaping wounds.  So not for me. But Jeroen has offered to provide his 3d-skills to draw the nacelle and

have them printed. The basic shape is quite simple so should be doable. Props will be a problem (as on the 1/48 version) as

they have a larger diameter than the then current comparable De Havilland props used on the Hampden, Blenheim, Wellington etc.

But we will cross that bridge when I come to it.

By the way, over the years more Vultures have been found, I noticed that the RAF Museum have three in a similar conditon.

Who knows, perhaps somebody will want to reconstruct a full size Manchester, but will have to butcher a real Lancaster in the

process. ;)

Cees

Again... This is true.

Hehe,

Was sanding the endplates on the stabilizers yesterday, the port one went very well, the starboard one managed to crash itself onto the floor. The newly glued piece broke off (a clean break fortunately) so had to glue the bits together again. What's on this evening? Sanding, yet more sanding. But getting there bit by bit.

Cees