Welcome to Large Scale Modeller

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DoogsATX

Supercobra
WIP - 1/35 MRC AH-1W Supercobra

Last November, I got to spent some time in the gunner's compartment of a friggin' Hind.

8152470925_40f634c404_c.jpg

Thus started an itch to build, as Arnold would say, a "choppa". 

'Course, the Hind is big and scary, even in 1/72, much less in 1/35, so I'm planning to start off with something more manageable - and, it so happens, my favorite of the attack helicopters, the USMC's AH-1W Supercobra.

Posted Image

The modern "naptime gray" scheme adopted after Desert Storm is, well, meh. So I'll be doing my 1/35 weedwhacker as a battered Desert Storm cobra. A good experiment for weathering!

6A733818-4BD6-43A9-A926-6BCC7EAA8345-512

A first rough test-fit shows a promising kit that is still, nevertheless, well outside my wheelhouse!

3E0EF31B-416D-498D-BBC9-EC100ABA0A4A-795

I was "eagle spotting" the other weekend and drove past a VFW post that had a Cobra sitting on the front lawn like it was no big deal, haha. I would also love to make one some day. This is gonna look great!

Looking forward to watching this, Doogs. Like the others, I've never watched a helo WIP.

The only time I've seen a Supercobra was on a beach holiday in Ocracoke, NC. It must have been some training flights from Camp Lejeune (?). My wife wondered why a news helicopter was going so fast. "Umm, I'm not sure that was a camera hanging off the front. It does shoot, though..."

LT

Grant likes this

Second Time for me - first time was a German modeller serving at a LTG [Air Transport Sqn], building "his" CH-53 with full scratch interior and even authentic (and complete) lighting. Most impressive. But Im sure you can top that ;)

Just finishing up cobra with Werner wings conversion for turned exhaust. It is nice project you will enjoy. Cockpit canopy was a pain.