The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zoukei-mura He 219? Is it worth it?

PAnderson

I have a question concerning this kit and it may be a stupid one. Is this kit expansive enough to build out of box? The reason I ask is the abundance of "optional" parts being offered. Does the kit itself offer adequate coverage of parts sufficiently enough to not need any of the optional parts? At almost $200, it should and with wheels costing an extra $36 and guns, for christ sake, costing $24, is the kit itself good enough. I just got an email offering another pre-order with the kit and bonus figures of pilot, co-pilot and navigation lamps for $191. In your opinion, is this kit worth the money? From what I see on this post, maybe. I need good answers.

Thanks,Paul

• Administrators

You can build the kit perfectly well OOB, and you don't need the aftermarket sets. They are there should you wish to choose the etch/brass/resin route for your model. As with any other kit, you would usually buy these as extras. and with the ZM kit, this is no different. What i do think though is the base kit builds up well enough not to need the parts as such, as there is already some serious detail on offer. 

Here's my ZM He 219 cockpit....built from the box with the exception of the Radu seatbelts I used.

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC_0116_zpsf3ff44d0.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

• Like 1

a great question and very well answered Jim.  a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.  your pit is just beautiful!

I am ordering ZM's 219 and my plans are to build it splayed open.  I will also pick up the Revell 219 and build a buttoned up version and I might cave for some aftermarket goodies for this one such as Eduard's IP then some weighted wheels and compressed landing gear.

Thanks James, I had a pretty good idea how good this kit is after seeing some of the stuff that has been posted so far on here. Beautiful pit so far, by the way. ZM's aftermarket does seem a bit pricey though.

Rick, I agree. I also have the Revell kit and would build that accordingly. I may spring for the ZM kit. Still contemplating whether the HK B-17 is worth it too because it would be extremely hard to justify both.

Thanks again Gentlemen,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks James, I had a pretty good idea how good this kit is after seeing some of the stuff that has been posted so far on here. Beautiful pit so far, by the way. ZM's aftermarket does seem a bit pricey though.

Rick, I agree. I also have the Revell kit and would build that accordingly. I may spring for the ZM kit. Still contemplating whether the HK B-17 is worth it too because it would be extremely hard to justify both.

Thanks again Gentlemen,

Paul

the B17 is so tempting.  I'd have to sell some stash for this kit and where/how in the heck would this monster be displayed?  when i get the hankering for a 17 I might just go 1:48.

• 2 months later...

Greetings Guys;

I recently picked up one of the HB P-61 kits. I am currently

waiting to see what Eduard has in mind for this Widow. They say

next month .... There add-ons for the 1/48 scale Black widows are

just short of in creditable.

"O" yea, back to the subject in the discussion. I have been looking

at the 1/32 scale HE-219 for sometime now. This will more than likely

be my next model purchase.

HK's B-17/G also has some nice possibilities. But, again, what do

you do with if when you are finished.

Nice work on the cockpit looks ........... Great.

Mike

• Administrators

The ZM review will be online here either late tonight, or tomorrow. It is scheduled for midnight tonight GMT.

You can build a seriously nice kit OOB, but the sets are the cherry if you want the extra expense.

• Like 1

Gents I have been asked to comment as I have built both kits - virtually simultaneously.

The ZM kit is as you might expect are far more demanding build and getting all the separate panels to align will take care. I still think they should offer a traditional  full half fuselage moulding for anyone who does not want to open the whole thing up.

Revells kit can be thrown together but is riddled with errors omissions and inaccuracies. Its a long list but for me the biggest problem is the shape of the nose which is considerably fatter and more bulbous than ZM - once you see the two side by side you can see how wrong it is. In isolation it can look presentable. The cockpit is lacking a lot of detail and I ended up replacing both seats on mine. The nacelles are at the wrong angle on the wing and all the filler ports are moulded backwards. There is also a poorly designed joint line right across several small hatches which cuases nothing but grief! There is some banding on the lower fuselage and the tails skid bump is the wrong shape - oh and the prop blades are mishapen. Undercarrige has been modelled unloaded so has to be adapted.

Test01-vi.jpg

ZM on top and Revell below

Comparison of the two windscreens - the ZM version on the right is the test shot and not the new one but its shows something is very different! Close up also of the Revell nose - lacking the taper of ZMs

_DSC1204-vi.jpg_DSC1210-vi.jpg_DSC1211-vi.jpg_DSC2959-vi.jpgUU06-vi.jpgUU10-vi.jpg_DSC2976-vi.jpg

ZMs kit is just far more accurate! The cockpit is good to go right from the box and of course it has all that engine detail etc that Revell dont provide. For me the Revell kit misses the mark in terms of capturing the look of the UHU - ZM would be my choice because it has that distinctive nose - for me thats what the UHU is all about!

regards David

AIR Modeller Magazine

• Like 1