References and additions:

scan1_zps21dt5ovk.jpg

IMG_5238_zpszuqnipv2.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsxsvc5m12.jpg

IMG_5285_zpsvjqqn5wt.jpg

IMG_5253_zpsmbgjzpr4.jpg

tbuckles0001_zpslfsmhwf1.jpg

mesh0001_zpswydw4ie4.jpg

A few more additions as we go . Also a gang of figs to be done as well. Becker cannon to be scratchbuilt for the beginning. This will take a while , been mulling for years now , the cannon is well into fabrication  , pix of that next.

IMG_4867_zpsclshi4r3.jpg

• Like 5

Very well then , Cees , winter , Phas , zavod and any and all others.Welcome.

I checked those figs , its a forgone conclusion ,I 'm a sucker for a good figgie.

I found a bunch more am , but we'll get into that as it comes into play.

My mission statement here regarding the subject is that it will be mostly fictitious , gaining details from various areas. Some areas will be documented or visual in nature , some will not. As WNW states in all of their instructions " color schemes are contentious at the best of times " . This works for modellers such as myself , I like doing whatever I want to.

We have all seen the Gotha with the finely painted skull on its nose , also I have pix of a bomber that has polished plywood for the front section of the fuse. Multiply dimensioned hexagons , polygons , both patterned and freehand-painted , blues , greens , purples , mauves , and some more definite colors like light greens and grey's are all in consideration. I have a mask set for this kit already well into reality , small hexagon patterns for the entire model are laid out and a set cut. I prefer the idea of hand painted dissimilar polyganolhexagons! As you can see the fun has already started.

Equipment options are there as well , an airspeed indicator mount will be fabbed for the fuse left side. And the 2 cm cannon...

So there is plenty of room for some fun , without the bloody "digital calipers" 'aving to come out.

Here is where I start today:

IMG_9271_zpshnmovi0o.jpg

IMG_9272_zps82v2t6os.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you. I did see those and immediatly noticed the fuse caps are not separate , something I want and , a detail that can be seen in a number of photo's and how I will render mine.

They look great though, into the maybe catagory!

Re-visiting today to see if the work to date still looks to scale:

IMG_4879_zpsr9qamewj.jpg[/uR

L]

Starting today with the gunsight.

A Model Technologies gunsight was sandwiched between 2 Detail Master hot rod guage bezels. 4 more bezels were used for the barrel mount. I'll leave the strut between for final assy:

IMG_9276_zpsps0gnykd.jpg[/u

RL]

Some p/e fret coiled , .8mm brass tube , and some more fret will become the cannons handles:

IMG_9280_zpshe79qu7u.jpg

IMG_9281_zpsiwxpss7v.jpg

IMG_9285_zpsp0rvqwza.jpg[/

URL]

IMG_9290_zpsbprd7gnf.jpg

IMG_9302_zpsdnalw83k.jpg

IMG_9300_zpsp1fi2txp.jpg

Some deft file work will cleanup that errant solder.

7 hours to produce the gun sight and the firing handles.

Tomorrow the mag hardware and locking mechanism.

Here is the weapon to begin the day:

IMG_9297_zpssc3rwgvg.jpg

IMG_9310_zpsih2gtsly.jpg

IMG_9312_zps4qx1utnk.jpg

IMG_9315_zpsicfoetq8.jpg

IMG_9320_zpspxnemd0l.jpg[/u

Two pieces soldered together to match:

IMG_9321_zpsxknjjnmm.jpg

Makes a pair of flanges:

IMG_9326_zpsegw9nxrt.jpg

Mounting bracket gets some minor detail:

IMG_9333_zpsgeitiuyx.jpg

All in:

IMG_9337_zpsimmjfkra.jpg[/

URL]

The mount wasn't doin' it for me so:

IMG_9354_zpsxaqw5owu.jpg[/url

As it sits the cannon has: Evergreen plastic , brass sheet , brass tube , stainless tube .

P/E bits from: Detail Master , Model Technologies , The Model Car Garage , Top Studio , RB Motion.

Parts compilation:

IMG_9357_zpsszcg9thx.jpg

Main detail:

IMG_9363_zpssgmrldse.jpg

...a little more detail:

IMG_9372_zpsdovgnvtg.jpg

Final for this weekend:

IMG_9377_zpswsedco13.jpg

What it did to my bench:

IMG_9368_zpsk3vjj2rz.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IN CRE DIBLE !!

(Do I want a Gotha too? I am afraid that Yes, I want a Gotha! - Starting saving up money now...)

Easy laddie!

|I havent even cut the kit plastic yet! Thanks though!

I 've been adding to my last posting , to keep a progression, I dont know how long the 'edit' feature will work.

• Like 1

An all -out blitz resulted in the production of the bulk of the cannon.

The minute details took as long or longer than the main assy.

Here are the components , they include the main body , the mount  , the 2 curved mount arms with levers to adjust , the gunsight , the handles and the magazine.

IMG_9410_zpsg35mr4b4.jpg

Main body detail:

IMG_9414_zps2eafqyot.jpg[/uR

L]

Thin coats of heavily thinned Alclad gloss black base followed by a dark sea blue even thinnner mix gives some base to the weapon:

IMG_9442_zpsnzd64dck.jpg

IMG_9440_zpsoxqf7vvq.jpg

IMG_9441_zpsngidw0rq.jpg

IMG_9439_zpsrhw2lrc7.jpg

Some assy today on the gleaming , deadly 20mm cannon:

IMG_9472_zpsvyyawlec.jpg

• Like 1

Far East and Eelco, thank you.

The cannon has been on my mind for a few years. The kit is well worth ( way to go WNW!!) an all out effort and I'll do my best on that score. Having a coupla pieces well into the final stages , I'll leave this for a while. The plan is to do the accouterments ie: weapons , bombs , Stossfahrgestell (front landing gear) , 4 bladed props , figs (over 20 now , having ordered all the CSM sets !) , base , airspeed indicator , etc , prior to tackling the bulk of the kit. Everything stated can be backed up with available pix , so not too much embellishment. A custom mask set for irregular polygons will have to be made as well, templates are ready , I just hafta draw a few hundred of the polygons and some how get them to fit the templates. I think the cannon is a really good start. Thanks for watching and commenting.

IMG_9507_zpstxkvsxbt.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly this has inspired me to build mine - That cannon is incredible!

I also have something big planned for my Gotha and also ordered all the figures from CSM and Aviattic! I think they maybe similar :D

Again please keep logging this build!

• Like 1

Thanks winter

I did one mask set , sent it off but never saw any results from it. It requires a lot of attention to the individual hex's. The set evolved quickly and after I sent it, I thought if I ran it through The Big Unit , I could print a dot of the color of each hex , on the hex as well as cut them out. Maybe next time.

Mine will be the individually painted shapes that were the result of switching to night raids.

Decal package:

IMG_9533_zpsdgf5fuyc.jpg

And three more figs , the dispatch rider and the Tommy fig will require a modicum of re-arrangemant to fit in.:

IMG_9538_zpsrajuvqhp.jpg

I like this guy , found him in a discount bin , he may be the dark horse:

IMG_9542_zpss9zlsrux.jpg

IMG_9543_zpsl3sb5se1.jpg

A full pull of WW 1 German service and flight crew are on the way from CSM . I looked at the Aviattic stuff as well , may turn out to be quite the party.

• Like 1

Thanks P ,if I can pull it off.

Model forums have changed drastically in the last year -mostly for the better. That gives me a better chance.

Yeah that set is fairly large .The paper in this pic is 15" wide by prolly 34" long , it holds the kit shapes and hex 'fill':

IMG_4940_zpsqmnftvsp.jpg

Closely supervised by the feline overlords:

IMG_4937_zpsu6ckf8mx.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Nick!

And the party is just starting as guests are still arriving:
IMG_9665_zpsvbrrrjql.jpg

IMG_9666_zpspztl9sta.jpg

IMG_9667_zpse14cfort.jpg

IMG_9668_zpsaywlqkzg.jpg

IMG_9669_zpshwqd7yi5.jpg

Parts in the order as well:

IMG_9670_zpsxm3rbqco.jpg

And Gaspatch comes through with some exquisite Spandau's these are incredibly delicate and detailed, I wanna try a dual mount for the rear gunner in the Gotha:

IMG_9664_zps5fpyhrm3.jpg

• Like 1