1:32 Gotha Bomber German Crew - Copper State Models

• Administrators

1:32 Gotha Bomber German Crew

from

Cooper State Models

Catalogue n.º F32-008

Price tag: €29,95

IMG_5946_zps2kjoyemd.jpg

And…. Here we go again, with a new release from Cooper State Models, now with a entire crew for the WnW Gotha.

The CSM site has a brief history that is quite interesting and well worth the reading.

It´s not the first time I post the CSM history but it´s always good to remember a brief history.

So here`s goes:

In 1996 my parents decided that they were ready to retire from the family business. Since I was ready to do something else for a living, we sold the company. I had recently got back building models after a 25+ plus year hiatus and decided to try that for a business. I chose the name Copper State Models (CSM) because Arizona is also known as the “Copper State”. The logo is the state’s outline with the state flag inset into it and a Fokker D.VII.

At first I tried building for hire but soon discovered that I was too slow of a builder to make that work! A friend of mine named Bob owned The Model Car Garage (high end model car details) and was doing well with it. He became my mentor in starting CSM. I picked WWI a/c because not everyone and his cousin was doing that subject and I had a real interest in it. This was the beginning of the golden age of WWI a/c modeling. You had Eduard and Toko doing quality plastic kits so I saw a place for high quality details and put CSM in that direction.

The hardest part of getting started was finding the vendors I needed to make the things I couldn’t make myself. Bob from MCG put me in touch with Tim for the PE (Photo-Etched parts- I.S.) artwork. We hit it off real well and he started drawing for me. PEC also came from Bob and for me they are the best PE producer in the business.

Microscale has been doing quality decals for a very long time. They were close, good and willing to work with a small outfit like CSM. Laura and Vickie were absolute jewels to work with.

Marty’s claim to fame was his magnificent hand carved wood props. I was buying props and corresponding with Marty by snail mail (no email then). Marty’s written English was in its learning stages and a friendship developed. When I told Marty about starting CSM, I had in mind selling his props as part of my line. He was agreeable and asked if I would be interested in kit masters. I said “absolutely” and he sent me the Do. D.I kit and that was the beginning of the CSM kit line.

I started advertising in Windsock magazine very early. Ray and I became friends. He reviewed CSM’s products fairly and this was a huge boost to the company. He is one of the greatest supporters of WWI a/c modeling.

Marty and I chose kits together based on interest and available documentation. We tried to pick kits that the “mainstream” model companies wouldn’t do. There was such a wealth of WWI a/c that has never been kitted in 1/48TH scale before for us to choose from. Float/flying boats and 2 seaters were our mainstay.

I enjoyed my time setting up and running CSM. It was a great way to earn a living. With the passing of my parents I decided to retire and sell CSM.

I would like to thank all the great vendors I worked with and my great customers all of whom I enjoyed dealing with. I would especially like to thanks my parents for their help and encouragement without which it never would have happened.

I wish Ilya and Slava good hunting, God’s speed and all the success in the world. I hope they enjoy CSM as much as I did in their new venture. My advice would be to produce a quality product and charge a fair price and you will do well.

Eric R. Hight Copper State Models Founder and Former President

We have another opportunity to get a good look of the latest CSM release, and very desirable one: an entire Gotha Crew.

This set came in the usual small and sturdy box wrapped in bubbles

IMG_5947_zpsqz2tsqu9.jpg

IMG_5948_zpsyiiuuvuy.jpg

There`s no assembly instructions and no decals for any of the figures.

This single set is quite simple nonetheless the 3 figures.

The construction of each is one of the best I ever seen in resin figures, being almost done with a little cleaning and perfect fitting.

I decided to build them all after pictures and I really must say that they in fact are quite ease to get together with low cleaning job.

The resin is in medium/light gray like the others previous releases.

All the 3 figures comes with the one piece body and legs in one very nicely cast piece and with a separate head and arms. In sum, 4 pieces with separate arms and head and one piece for torso and legs.

The rear gunner is the only standing figure. The position and body expression are really good, with the jacket details in evidence like the buttons, pockets and even buckle boots are reproduce.

IMG_5958_zpssibdvmsd.jpg

IMG_5960_zpsmrvogrut.jpg

IMG_5964_zpsfzn4jxpp.jpg

The jacket leather looks quite realistic, you just can smell the leather.

Although the face is partially hidden behind the scarf and helmet, still conveys an expression of concentration.

IMG_5963_zps7ugqjzov.jpg

The pilot, besides the high cloths details, does have a relax posture.. almost like driving a car with the arm outside the window… style pure style!

IMG_5950_zpsuiwhfvap.jpg

IMG_5952_zpsq8xpo8gv.jpg

IMG_5956_zpsilm79eo5.jpg

The pilot is also the on that does have the face most cover, just seeing the eyes and the moustache.

IMG_5953_zpsm5nkcrzb.jpg

IMG_5955_zps05wuiqvu.jpg

The front gunner/navigator also with some “false” relax position, a pre-mission concentration.  The facial shows precisely that with the scarf to cover part of the face, with the ever-present without moustache mouth. In fact this figure is the one that has no moustache.

IMG_5965_zpsj3hobhlq.jpg

IMG_5966_zpsogbmrw5b.jpg

IMG_5967_zpsqatgf3rl.jpg

IMG_5968_zps2uihpnd2.jpg

The highlight of this set, besides the extreme and sharp details, is the fact that this set is not a fly set but a crew ground set… Nonetheless this a Gotha Crew for starting take-off and just before take-off or after mission.

I decided to build all the set…

IMG_5974_zpseubtha8j.jpg

IMG_5973_zpsdbe6etwf.jpg

IMG_5972_zpszafy8sbd.jpg

IMG_5971_zps46qd8s36.jpg

and put in my WIP Gotha, that is already close with seatbelts.

IMG_4522_zps6msodslc.jpg

IMG_4521_zpsif4dxjkv.jpg

IMG_6119_zpstigcl7ff.jpg

Conclusion:

Quality is really the middle name of CSM. The castings amd resin quality are top noch.

Apart of that, the details are exquisite at all levels.

The helmet, goggles and scrats are very well done with incredible details.

The facial expression and details (like eyes and mustache) are very well worked out and very convincing.

The resin chunks are very easy to remove and the buils is quite straightforward. The 3 figure come together in less than 15 minutes.

Cooper State Models is a well know name in modelling Market and their Stuff mean QUALITY! You simply can`t go wrong with these figures, as they are perfect to stand on your Gotha… An d with a bit of imagination, they don’t need to be all inside of the Gotha.

Highly recommended.

My sincerely thanks to Edgar from Copper State Models for the review samples.

CSM%20Logo%20Colour_zpsgwgypd3j.jpg

(You can buy directly here  and if you do don`t forget to mention Wingnut Wing Fans and Large Scale Modeller)

Fran

• Like 1

• 4 months later...