The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

IDF F15C Commando

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dennis, have been busy constructing all the detail parts, missiles, etc then removing the seam from the canopy and started priming. That's where things slow down as it's bigger than anything I've built before and the airbrush work seems endless! Have a day off on Tuesday so hoping to get the priming finished then. Will post some pics then.

Cheers, Gus

Evening all, just an update on progress with this. Everything is now primed ready for the real painting to begin.

20160728_082958_zpslpcyuior.jpg

20160728_083046_zps7tzsq4zz.jpg

It's not until you start to paint this that you realise how big it is, there's a good chunk of a bottle of Mr Surfacer 1500 on here even with it well thinned. Apologies that the photos are a bit overexposed - the sun was actually shining here in Scotland and it takes you by surprise!

20160728_082635_zpsqi97zu6u.jpg

Here are all the sundry components. The sharp eyed will notice something rather odd about the missile load - I've seen a couple of photos of Doubletail squadron Baz with an asymmetric load on the wing pylons of two AIM-9L on one side and two Python 3 on the other from 1982/3, the time period I'm after. I've no idea if 840, the plane I'm building, carried this load but I'm pulling a bit of artistic licence as I think it'll add a bit of visual interest. Good illustration of how much bigger the Python 3 is than the Sidewinder shown here. The Python 3 and the Magrefa pylons are from Isracast and went together very nicely.

Next step is giving everything a polish with micromesh clothes and then on with the painting. As usual, comments, etc welcomed.

Cheers, Gus

Thanks Dennis, I've relatives down in Invercargill and from what I remember the weather there could be similar to here. Anything at any time!

Hoping to make a start on the painting this weekend.

Hi Gus, I agree mate...the weather here can do many things in the space of a day! I don't know (you probably have) heard of this salt weathering finish Gus.

I was a bit skeptical so I am trying it on a 1/32 F-14A at the moment (the Hawk bit the dust and hit the bin sadly, but that's another story), and I thought I'd mention it as such a finish would look great on your F-15.

It comes out very realistic, and with Israeli military kit being so exposed to the elements the salt finish would be quite appropriate.

Have you seen this before Gus?

Hi Dennis, yes I've seen it but not sure I'm ready for it. This is only the second thing I've airbrushed and I still find things like thinning a bit of an adventure. Not sure I could get the 'top' coat thin enough - I find it hard to control the flow if the paint is very thin. Now I know why some airbrushes come with the little lock to control the flow rate!

Currently doing the missiles so I'm getting a bit more practice and I have an old Skyray I might have a shot at trying things on. Keen to push myself so I will keep this in mind.

Sorry to hear the Hawk has bitten the dust. Did Revell ever respond?

Gus

No mate - usual story. The big Corporate gives you a product, and it's take it or leave it... If I am wrong in this I sure wish Revell would prove me wrong.

I understand Gus; airbrushing is something you improve upon as you go along, and, as you say, have a practice model. I have two old fuselage halves from a Trumpy 32 scale Stringbag I practice on.

I have been mixing my paint to the consistency of almost water and lightly spraying, controlling the flow as I go. Tell you what though Gus, I am right impressed with the result this technique gives!

All in good time Sir...

Regards

Dennis

Sorry Gus - me again! Don't stress about having your mixes too thin mate. Just use your normal mix. I always use a thin, watery mix, that's just me.(Do make sure you keep your airbrush scrupulously clean - I clean my brush after each session, then leave some thinner in the paint cup and spray this through before the next session)and I also dab at the needle as well to keep it clean, or you will get 'spitting' when brushing watery mixes.

You can get away with using whatever paint mix you normally use. Have a crack on the old Skyray - you'll see what I mean!Oh, and don't get hung up on what type of salt to use...I use table salt and it works just fine!

Thanks for the tips Dennis, you're getting me interested.

Currently have a bigger issue though - the carpet monster has struck, big time! I've managed to lose an entire AIM-7 missile!!

Got the blue base coat on the Pythons and the white on the Sparrows and 'winders and had started masking off for doing the fins, noses, etc. They were all sitting on my bench on Sunday morning but by evening one had vanished. My wife may have knocked it off when she gathered her sewing stuff - if it hit the floor I suspect it's either in a Jack Russell or has been buried by a Jack Russell!

If it doesn't turn up then it will just have to do with 3. I'm not paying the prices on eBay for a set of the Eduard resin ones.

Gus you have my sympathies mate - I think we all know how THAT feels!

If you need another AIM-7 Gus - put your address details here and I'll get one in the post to you(Or could we go through one of our site Administrators and do it that way if you want Gus). It's only Revell - but it is dimensionally accurate; it just needs a wee tickle up with a bit of sandpaper and there is a small ding in it I am sure is a mold fault.

Or, if you are feeling a wee bit more adventurous, you could now finish the Jack Russell in Israeli colors - a great paint job and some weathering and you won't even notice the Jack Russell anymore!!!! (Just think of how cool the dog would look with all those munitions slung off the side!!)

Thanks for the offer Dennis. I'll keep it in mind but at the moment I'm kind of determined to find the missing one, it is now an obsession! I may be back to you though.

Don't think I'd get the dogs to stay still long enough to paint them, although they'd blend in nicely to all the fields of grain here in a Raam colour scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly! Too many distractions - getting my son back to school and my daughter ready to start her first year at University, plus the Olympics!!

Have mainly been working on the ordnance. Painted, glossed, decaled and currently getting weathered. Will post some pics soon.

As promised some pictures of the (slow) progress with the ordnance.

20160820_213533_zpspphpglgx.jpg

20160820_213214_zpsxapwlncr.jpg

20160820_213352_zpsauaheitg.jpg

20160820_213445_zpsca1iskbp.jpg

They have all been flat-coated after weathering but they do look rather glossy in the photos. However, the Tamiya flat clear isn't as flat as I've found previously when I used the rattle can version. May be as I thinned it slightly with Mr Color Levelling Thinner which does seem to give matts a slight sheen.

The detail on the Isracast Pythons is quite a bit better than the kit Sparrows and Sidewinders so I'm thinking of trying to tart them up a bit. Might try making some seeker head covers for the Sidewinders as I've seen a few folk do this using foil from wine bottles. Never tried anything like that but I don't have to use them if they look awful and I still get to drink the wine!

Just for a giggle here is the Sparrow that became a battle casualty

20160820_213733_zpsebxbzfrm.jpg

And here's the culprit in one of his angelic moments

20140705_210546_zpsiuaz8okm.jpg

Little dogs love to chew!

Will post some more pics if I succeed with the covers. Basically, I'm procrastinating about starting the main painting as I'm a bit daunted at the prospect. Bigger than anything I've done before and I'm not sure if I'm up to the black basing with an essentially monochrome scheme. Got to bite the bullet though!

Gus

• Like 2