The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Upcoming 1/32 Revell Bf 109G-6..?

kermit

http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=210&KGKANR=0&KGKOGP=10&KGSCHL=2&L=1&page=1&sort=0&nc=&searchactive=&q=&SWO=&ARMAS4=&PHPSESSID=be4920d22658f5295d9d9d20fefc83cc&KZSLPG=&offset=7&cmd=show&ARARTN=04665&sp=1

Does anybody have the lowdown on this kit? Is it some ancient mold refired? A rebox? New tool?

Knowing the latest revell gear has very nice prices i am wondering if it is the same with this one and wether it would be an actual decent kit.

Richard

Richard, all...

The forthcoming Revell 1/32nd scale Bf109G-6 is supposedly a new-tool kit, utilising different moulds from the Hasegawa kits that Revell shared common sprues with during the past decade. Originally rumoured to include full engine detail, this was later denied in an online interview with a Revell representative hosted by Hyperscale's Brett Green. However, the parts count of 170 attributed to the kit is significantly higher than the Hasegawa kits, which may indicate that all of the different parts required to make any G-6/14 variant are included in the kit, along with perhaps extra weapons including the Werfer Gerät rockets shown in the publicity shots.

But... And it's a big BUT too... All along Revell have been consistent in showing this forthcoming kit as being 280mm in length. 280mm equates to 8.96 metres in 1/32nd scale, whereas the Bf109G-6 variant was 9.02 metres long in actuality (281.8 mm in 1/32nd scale). This difference of almost 2mm is worrying, given the many accuracy issues found on Revell's !/32nd scale He219 kit.

I guess only time will tell on this one...

Steve

• Like 1

The boxes..... well at least theyre usually pretty...? It is a thing that they fanatically continue doing and i kinda got used to it.  <_<

Since revell have been putting out very good quality stuff at low prices as of late (AR196...JU88...B17G...Bismarck etc.) I am happy to hear its a new tooling. Makes me carefully positive about this release.Nobody ever accused me of throwing a fit over a 2mm inaccuracy or a hatch being 1mm too far this or that way so i dont think it will be a problem for me.

Thanks for the info guys! Never really dabbled into the jerry stuff and this 1/32 109 seems like an affordable testbed in this froggies' hands ^_^

Richard

Guest styrenedemon

Maybe they can flat-pack the canopy again, like on the Ar 196?

Seriously, though, looking forward to this (Revell actually has a lot of interesting kits coming...the new-tool 1/48 Tornados have my attention). Now about those stupid side-opening boxes...

Lol....everyone gets so worked up over the boxes. I wish they'd number their parts better...i.e...give each sprue a letter designation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just cancelled Revell. They are a nightmare to deal with, and the guy who does UK promo is a plonker.

If we need anything, I'll source from elsewhere instead.

Don't order it, I surely will buy one.

Cheers,

Jamme

Yes, there was an example on their stand...

And It showed, amongst other things, some puzzling details; Such as a thin compressor intake without the characteristic screw holes for the tropical filter, a too-large gap between the intake and the port-side Buele and the lack of cut-out in the rear of the intake base that reflects this proximity, the cockpit air vent positioned so far back it would almost be unreachable from inside the aircraft, and the port-side fuel fill hatch positioned right on the seam between station 2 and 3, instead of in the middle of the third section.

Revell_Bf109G_Neuremberg_zpsa19ba504.jpg

I have been assured on another Forum that this was a rushed build, to be able to have an example to exhibit for the show. And as such, some of the details may or may not be present on the actual kit when it's released... I really hope this is the case. The kit was originally to have engine detail, however this was later revised to no engine; Who knows whether this may have prompted Tamiya to choose the 1/32nd scale Corsair instead of what IMO would have been the more popular choice in the Gustav. Similarly, the initial parts count, around the 200 mark, has since been taken back to 170. I also note from the Revell site, that the release date will now be June. Combine the glaring errors shown above with their continued adherence to this 280mm length, and I'm more than a little worried about this kit's accuracy.

Steve.

• Like 1

Yeah Grant,

I'm all for improving the breed, each successive release should at least be a little better than the one before it. But I don't see the merits in yet another innacurate Bf109 kit, which has glaring errors that the model companies should really be aware of by now. The inclusion of positionable control surfaces shouldn't trump basic detail errors that the average enthusiast can pick.

But, I guess we'll just have to wait and see with this one. Hope I'm wrong...

S

hi Steve!

thanks as ever for your knowledge and insight

i guess we hope that the release date has been put back in order to correct various errors

of the things you point out:

- the vents and fuel ports can be re-scribed (tedious, but fairly easy)

- the supercharger intake can be corrected with existing aftermarket (annoying - EagleEditions stuff is expensive imho)

- the distance between s/c intake and beule is a worry - that requires a re-tool and cannot be fixed by aftermarket 'add-ons'

- the length - this is not going to change clearly; what should it be in 1/32?

i suppose however disappointing this is, it will end up at least as good as the Hasegawa kits, except probably half to two thirds the price

that in my book is enough for me to buy a few, even if i would be rather frustrated they didn't nail it

re Tamiya's choice, i don't think Revell had ANY influence; Tamiya-san supposedly loves the Corsair, which is why we have one, and that's all there is too it

as i said elsewhere, Tamiya's next kit is "likely" to be either a Hurricane or a 109 but the Emil, not a Gustav (the Hurri and Emil are both at the Canadian museum Big t got all their measurements for the Corsair from, and Bob 'in the know, but can't tell you what I know' Swaddling said they measured another aircraft whilst doing the Corsair stuff...

cheers

Nick

Hey Nick,

of the things you point out:

- the vents and fuel ports can be re-scribed (tedious, but fairly easy)

- the supercharger intake can be corrected with existing aftermarket (annoying - EagleEditions stuff is expensive imho)

- the distance between s/c intake and beule is a worry - that requires a re-tool and cannot be fixed by aftermarket 'add-ons'

- the length - this is not going to change clearly; what should it be in 1/32?

i suppose however disappointing this is, it will end up at least as good as the Hasegawa kits, except probably half to two thirds the price

Yes...

The vents can be rescribed. But should you have to do it at all on a model kit in 2013?

The supercharger intake can be replaced with aftermarket, but where's the advantage over the Hasegawa kit in that?

The Buelen are either too small, or the intake is too low; which may mean the thrust line is too low as well... See Hasegawa above.

Bf109G length in 1/32nd scale is 281.8mm. The Hasegawa kit is actually a tad long, despite most people' opinion that it's short.

But 2mm in 1/32nd scale is a lot to be short. Revell seem to have taken the Handbuch length measurement (8.94 metres)as gospel, despite it being innacurately carried over by Messerschmitt until the G-10 variant. The shorter length stems from the original measurement of the 109F prototype, which had a blunt spinner much like that of the E-4/E-7 variants... This was never changed in Messerschmitt documents for some reason, carried right through the F and G series. Which means, that if Revell sticks to that 280mm, that they probably never actually measured a 1:1 scale Bf109.

As for the price, £19.99 is pretty good value for a 1/32 scale kit... If you're in Europe that is, with no Customs charges or import duties between EU countries. Start sending them abroad, and you run into the same price factors that Europeans encounter with Japanese or other Far East kits, and pricing suddenly becomes a significant factor. For instance, the Revell AG re-boxes of the Hasegawa Bf109K kits can run anywhere from $80-100 Au in my neck of the woods.

So from my perspective (and I'm happy to stand corrected), there appear to be no significant detail advantages, no dimensional improvements, and no price advantages over 12 year old Hasegawa kits that I already have in the stash.

I was really hoping for much more...

S

Steve,

I hear you re imported kit prices - just never occurred to me that it affected Revell overseas (doh!) - so I agree if it's the same price as a Hassy then what's point?

It was also instructive to get to the bottom of the length issue, and why it has probably come about; thank you.

Right, off to the gym now - I need to justify my trip to the beer festival at the pub ;)

N