The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ta-152H-0 awaiting restoration at the NASM

Ta%20152H%20Jumo%20213E-1.jpg

One of the things that made the Ta 152H capable as it was, the intercooled Jumo 213E-1 engine.  The bare metal casting you see just above the base of the lower motor mount, to the left of the three vertical hoses is the heat exchanger and exit duct for the intercooler as the compressed air flows from the 2 stage 3 speed gear driven supercharger to the induction manifold.  This allowed much higher manifold pressures to be used prior to detonation onset.  The lower altitude Jumo 213F (Fw190D-13) relied on MW 50 exculsively for this charge cooling.  Otherwise, the two engine variants were very similar.

Apologies for broken links... I moved the images to my own site's server, they seem to be ok now from what  can see.

I have one more pertinent image of the "gun" cowl open that I will have scanned and uploaded today.

Brian

• Like 2

• Administrators

Apologies for broken links... I moved the images to my own site's server, they seem to be ok now from what  can see.

I have one more pertinent image of the "gun" cowl open that I will have scanned and uploaded today.

Brian

Thanks a million!! These pics are amazing... Especially the one showing the inspection panel in the tail.. Never seen that part before.

Cheers!!

• Administrators

At home with the man-flu, causing me to speed things up.

I don't work very neatly or organised. Just do what pops up.

I discarded the exhausts stacks as supplied by ZM. Again: I can't get over the soft, undo-operating plastic and fiddly fit...

Decided to replace the exhausts with some old Moskit exhausts I still had. Scratching the housing for these.

294D5C93-F46B-4824-AE1B-DD65EC2ADBF9_zps

ZM did break up the wings in the right place. Saving me lots of work. Downside: my lovely painted fuel tanks won't be visible.

50A4D4A4-7452-431C-B04D-99939606FC10_zps

• Like 1

• Administrators

Top cowl open,  My manual for the airplane has no labeled diagrams for this space.  I think the tank is for windshield alcohol and the large hoses for cabin pressure??

Ta%20152H%20top%20cowl%20open.jpg

Cheers for that!

The two large hoses are for oxygen in the cockpit according to my ersatzteilliste... There are oxygen tanks in the tail, but maybe they were only used at heights where outside oxygen became too thin?

Now.. the smaller thin pipes you see running below the thick hoses, those contain the window cleaning solution.

The forward tank is actually the 55 litre oil tank.

Look at the pic below from ZM. It's cute they give you detail, but it's just a crude representation. What's the use?

element04.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

I know you're loving this one! Possibly the best fitting kit you ever built.  :stirthepot:

Also good that you are building it in a derelict state and weathering the crap out of it. Looks damn fine so far  :2guns:

I know you're loving this one! Possibly the best fitting kit you ever built.  :stirthepot:

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not Jim...

The details from post #41: Starboard pipe is Cockpit fresh air, fed from the small scoop above the Supercharger intake. Port side tube is compressed air for Cockpit, fed from the small hole at the front inside the cowl ring, via the Kompressor... these are both separate from the Pilot's independent Oxygen supply. The tank in the middle is a coolant reservoir; while the oil tank is behind the firewall underneath this deck, beside the 30mm ammunition tank on the starboard side. The bright silver lengths and small boxes are remnants of the upper cowl guns that had once been fitted here in the previous life of this airframe.

S

• Like 1

Wumm,

Thanks for that info... I searched high an low, but no refs in my possession.  I was pretty sure the hoses had something to do with cabin pressure, wondered why there were two separate ones.  I had read that there were problems with the pressurization, having to do with excess heat, I and do recall they just ventilated it with ram air to cool it.  Also explains the little scoop above the supercharger inlet!

I do have a photo of the panel open on the right side showing the oil tank access, probably get to that one tomorrow.

Brian

• Like 1

Oil tank service door open, you can see how large the tank, nearly the same height of the Jumo.  This view also makes clear the Intercooler and its large coolant hose.  All of the hoses are a dark red brown color with anodized (pale gold) fittings.  There is a handwritten inscription on the tank.. "A tank, not for St--K-"    Not sure what the last word is.

Ta%20152H%20oil%20tank.jpg

• Like 3

On the opposite side of the Jumo 213E,  You can see the Kommandogerat, and of note on this particular installation, one upper engine bearer is painted (vs. opposite bearer).  I would be curious if anyone can chime in regarding the large hoses coming off the exhaust muff and what it used to heat.  One noted on either side.

Ta%20152H%20Jumo%20left.jpg

• Like 5

Brilliant photos Brian!

Hoses running from the bottom corner of the exhaust shrouds go out through the leading edge of the wings, to heat the ammunition trays of the cannons to prevent jamming at altitude. It is a system also used by Focke Wulf on the A and D series 190's.

S

• Like 2

• Administrators

I will definitely add those pipes!

Started painting the engine. First basic colors, some chipping and first wash.

I'm trying to match the colors in the reference photo's. Black cover, grey / alu main body, black turbo, brown hoses, etc..

Oils still wet in these pictures.

ACD8C8B6-16B5-4ACD-909E-3A76B219D355_zps

6D0D49DD-459D-48A3-83E3-182C7EF48FA2_zps

• Like 3