The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 F-4C Phantom - Robin Olds SCAT XXVII

Well, off on a new modeling project and work is underway on the Tamiya F-4C/D kit.  My subject is Robin Olds F-4C, SCAT XXVII which was a early block C production aircraft and along with multiple corrections that need to be made to the older Tamiya kit to bring it up to standards, the cockpit was a good starting point.  I am using the 1/32 early F-4C cockpit produced by GT Resin as it does correctly depict the early cockpit along with the correct Martin Baker Mk.5 ejection seats and not the Mk.7 version that is included in most other replacement sets that are available.  Detail is very good, castings were a bit rough but fit was very good and is a direct replacement for the kits cockpit which meant no griding and sanding to make it fit.

Painting is about complete on the cockpit tub, other than the ejection seats, and moving on to replace the kits intakes with resin seamless versions and starting correction/detail work on the tail and stabilizers.

13731832_1765329797012493_71961032055693[/uR

DSC_0037_zpstfyikhwj.jpg

[/uDSC_0034_zpshf3qw4pa.jpg[/

DSC_0042%202_zpsvbpi6qwu.jpg

[/uRDSC_0062%202_zps8hwfa3lf.jpg

[/DSC_0059_zps4soaqgsc.jpg

DSC_0033%202_zpsx3bhbfxy.jpgURL]L]URL]RL]L]

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I had the opportunity to read Robin Olds book last Summer and it was the inspiration for me too to start exactly the same project from Tamiya kit and I have a question for Iceman about the GT Resin cockpit set: did you painted yourself all dials on instrument or they comes in form of decal or similar?

This resin set is quite expensive here in Italy, also considering freight, and the more I know the better.

Many thanks in advance.

Alberto

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2017 at 8:08 AM, alberto49 said:

I had the opportunity to read Robin Olds book last Summer and it was the inspiration for me too to start exactly the same project from Tamiya kit and I have a question for Iceman about the GT Resin cockpit set: did you painted yourself all dials on instrument or they comes in form of decal or similar?

This resin set is quite expensive here in Italy, also considering freight, and the more I know the better.

Many thanks in advance.

Alberto

Alberto, 

The GT Resin kit has very nice detail incorporated into the instrument panel, of which I just highlighted the smaller details and I did use Airscale's cockpit instrument decals for the larger instrument dials.  The bonus with the GT Resin cockpit set is that in has the correct Mk. 5 ejection seats that were installed in all the F-4Cs, including Old's aircraft, big difference between the Mk.5 and Mk.7 ejection seats as installed in the F-Ds.

Kirk

Guest DannyVM

The bonus with the GT Resin cockpit set is that in has the correct Mk. 5 ejection seats that were installed in all the F-4Cs, including Old's aircraft, big difference between the Mk.5 and Mk.7 ejection seats as installed in the F-Ds.

I didn't know that. I just took a look at the photo of Scat XXVII and indeed that are the older style ejection seat's. Again something learned today:D

Lovely start on the resin cockpit Kirk. I honestly don't like GT resin quality if it comes to sharp details, but if i see your paint work on it, i need to recall my thought's.

Spot on mate, i really looking forward to the rest of the build.

Greetz

Danny

On 2/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, DannyVM said:

I didn't know that. I just took a look at the photo of Scat XXVII and indeed that are the older style ejection seat's. Again something learned today:D

Lovely start on the resin cockpit Kirk. I honestly don't like GT resin quality if it comes to sharp details, but if i see your paint work on it, i need to recall my thought's.

Spot on mate, i really looking forward to the rest of the build.

Greetz

Danny

I agree, I have several different sets from GT Resin and in my experience the castings tend to be hit and miss, some are very good, others are very rough with considerable pitting and flaws, but not really something unexpected from the smaller producer companies.  I do overall like the sets they produce as they tend to pick up some of the details that other companies have missed in their sets along with doing some subjects and corrections for several of the 1/32 Trumpeter kits, like the F-105F & G, along with a complete F-4G and F-4S conversion sets for the Tamiya F-4s.  Current finishing up and painting the ordinance load and drop tanks that I will be using on this project and getting started on the wing construction, should have some updated photos posted soon.

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 4:26 AM, Dennis.E said:

Recently I had the chance to read Robin Olds' book - It's a tome I would highly recommend to any fan of the Phantom! I'll be following this build with interest Iceman!!

have the book too; inspiring man!

On 25/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, Iceman said:

Alberto, 

The GT Resin kit has very nice detail incorporated into the instrument panel, of which I just highlighted the smaller details and I did use Airscale's cockpit instrument decals for the larger instrument dials.  The bonus with the GT Resin cockpit set is that in has the correct Mk. 5 ejection seats that were installed in all the F-4Cs, including Old's aircraft, big difference between the Mk.5 and Mk.7 ejection seats as installed in the F-Ds.

Kirk

Many thanks Kirk for your answer, I just received GT Resin kit today, I think I will use Airscale dials as well. 

One question. I also got from GT Resin the 600 gallon centre line drop tank. Instruction supplied with the kìt are good but I would like to see a few pictures on how it is attached to the plane belly, do you have anything to share? I searched the web but I found nothing good enough so far.

Many thanks in advance

Alberto 

1 hour ago, alberto49 said:

Many thanks Kirk for your answer, I just received GT Resin kit today, I think I will use Airscale dials as well. 

One question. I also got from GT Resin the 600 gallon centre line drop tank. Instruction supplied with the kìt are good but I would like to see a few pictures on how it is attached to the plane belly, do you have anything to share? I searched the web but I found nothing good enough so far.

Many thanks in advance

Alberto 

Alberto,

I am also using the center line tank from GT Resin and I currently have this on the workbench.  Time constraints for me right now have not allowed me to do much in the way of progress photos but I can share what I am doing.  The GT Resin tank is actually a copy of the Tamiya center line tank from the F-4J kit so it fits the kit perfectly, other than the fact that it does need to be pinned to the fuselage for added strength and alignment.  I am also adding a couple of details that I believe have been missed on many F-4 builds that I have seen along with tweek lists that are out there. (1) The tips of the rear fins of the center line drop tank are in fact held by two small brackets that open up from the fuselage and serve to stabilize the tank from swaying while the aircraft is in flight (2) Four tank stabilizers are located alongside the center line tank that drop down from the fuselage and again serve as sway braces for the tank while in flight, these are very similar to the sway braces found on the wing pylons and MERs and TERs.  

Here are photos of the center line sway braces.

DSCN9090_zpshzrutktg.jpg

20150125_133415_zpsfohev33t.jpg

F-4%20Navy%20Centerline%20Tank%20Details

And some photos of the fin sway braces

F-4%20cenreline%20tank%20Royal%20Jet%20C

When you look at the underside of the Tamiya wing/fuselage you will see that these panel openings have been incorporated on the kit, they just need to be opened up and the details made and installed.  The center line tank will need to be mounted so that the fins to line up with the doors as provided in the kit, but as the GT Resin tank is a copy of the F-4J tank, it is not much of a problem for everything to line up correctly.

Kirk

Just sharing what I consider to be the best reference for the USAF F-4,  Jake Melamphy's The Modern Phantom Guide published by Reid Air Publications.  Book is currently out of print but I believe there are copies for sale floating around on Ebay and such.  Invaluable photo and text reference.

RAP006%20Phantom%20Guide%20F-4%20Phantom

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Alberto,

I am also using the center line tank from GT Resin and I currently have this on the workbench.  Time constraints for me right now have not allowed me to do much in the way of progress photos but I can share what I am doing.  The GT Resin tank is actually a copy of the Tamiya center line tank from the F-4J kit so it fits the kit perfectly, other than the fact that it does need to be pinned to the fuselage for added strength and alignment.  I am also adding a couple of details that I believe have been missed on many F-4 builds that I have seen along with tweek lists that are out there. (1) The tips of the rear fins of the center line drop tank are in fact held by two small brackets that open up from the fuselage and serve to stabilize the tank from swaying while the aircraft is in flight (2) Four tank stabilizers are located alongside the center line tank that drop down from the fuselage and again serve as sway braces for the tank while in flight, these are very similar to the sway braces found on the wing pylons and MERs and TERs.  

Here are photos of the center line sway braces.

DSCN9090_zpshzrutktg.jpg

20150125_133415_zpsfohev33t.jpg

F-4%20Navy%20Centerline%20Tank%20Details

And some photos of the fin sway braces

When you look at the underside of the Tamiya wing/fuselage you will see that these panel openings have been incorporated on the kit, they just need to be opened up and the details made and installed.  The center line tank will need to be mounted so that the fins to line up with the doors as provided in the kit, but as the GT Resin tank is a copy of the F-4J tank, it is not much of a problem for everything to line up correctly.

Kirk

Many thanks Kirk, your pictures and explanation are very helpful. The relevant pylon isn't included in either kit, so I suppose it has to be scratchbuilt. The same for the sway braces, not a big issue, by the way.

Alberto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Just sharing what I consider to be the best reference for the USAF F-4,  Jake Melamphy's The Modern Phantom Guide published by Reid Air Publications.  Book is currently out of print but I believe there are copies for sale floating around on Ebay and such.  Invaluable photo and text reference.

RAP006%20Phantom%20Guide%20F-4%20Phantom

Thanks for your suggestion, but these book isn't available any more, neither new nor second hand. Or, at least, I wasn't able to find it on the web.

Alberto

Hi, I will start soon my own thread on my Phantom model, but just to complement the above, I post a couple of pictures of the pylon I obtained after some ours of cutting and filing.

Just need to add the two little wings on the back end some refining.

Alberto

DSCN2216.JPG

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2218.JPG

• Like 2