The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

35,5cm Howitzer M1 - 1/35 by Soar Art Workshop + Schatton

Hello,

please find some pictures of the finished 35,5cm howitzer M1 of the German army in Word War Two. The kit is in scale 1/35 by Soar ARt Workshop, plus the aluminium barrel from Schatton.

irlfzsh6.jpg

f9r7rqod.jpg

58s2cr65.jpg

pthuh3t5.jpg

j6jht86d.jpg

5sfcd3ch.jpg

3ix6l3p6.jpg

mhlan2ax.jpg

i8isviks.jpg

gdv6xxx5.jpg

oc9sc4sh.jpg

erk3zz6v.jpg

jb2sgf4z.jpg

irlldhcw.jpg

amc8caz7.jpg

6k8cm2fa.jpg

jo6oaumy.jpg

pwiktj99.jpg

jx4m2sj6.jpg

vbimoxp2.jpg

p32yctq9.jpg

ihjbru8p.jpg

uyoobv3u.jpg

foe399ib.jpg

li2j7c39.jpg

58xsrfkc.jpg

I hope you like it.

cheers

Micha

• Like 2

That is an impressive piece of ordinance, and your work on the chassis delivers a sense of the weight in all that metal.

I have two comments, based entirely on my own ignorance, so by all means correct me if I am off-base.

First, there's something about the barrel as a whole - it seems too light and thin-walled for the size of the projectile. This may be just the angle of the photo combined with my own ignorance.

The second point is similar in that, to me, the bare-metal portion of the barrel looks more like new aluminum than used steel. I suspect that this is more a matter of lighting and focus than anything else, but it contributes to my feeling that barrel is somehow too lightweight for the shell it is intended to deliver.

As always, your work is both meticulous and beautifully done - it's an interesting subject and the model is inspiring me to do some research and reading on the topic just to answer my own curiosity.

Thanks for sharing all your work - you inspire me to try things I'd never have attempted otherwise

I just looked at the WIP photos of this build (I should have done that first!).

The barrel detail photos from your WIP show the barrel from different angles, and the difference in appearance is striking. 

It seems that it was indeed my own poor eyesight and the different camera angles that led to my comments yesterday.

Your work is, as always, truly an inspiration