The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

REPUBLIC P-47D THUNDERBOLT "DOTTIE MAE" - 1/32 BY EDUARD

Hello,

I want to show you another project which I am working on at the moment: The P-47D "Dottie Mae", the limited kit from Eduard. It is the old Hasegawa kit, but including some nice photo etched parts, resin parts, masks and nice decals. And - a great poster of the wonderful drawing on the carton box.... 

Additionally I am using the resin-cockpit from Aires and the turned brass barrels from Master.

Firstly I have cleaned the resin parts for the cockpit and glued the small parts in place, added some etched parts. Then a black primer and a layer of Aluminium were sprayed over it, followed with some water and a bit of salt. 

The main color is interior green sprayed on the dry salt. After the paint was dry, the salt removed, then I have painted the small details and added some further colored etched parts.

The display received some wiring on the back side, but is not yet painted.

A brown washing and a silver dry brushing followed.... actually it looks like this ...

4zxlttxz.jpg

hyzw3q6l.jpg

marj6hlv.jpg

thhb6ptg.jpg

fl2v8ae4.jpg

w2vc5uql.jpg

kh2p3e26.jpg

The engine parts were glued together, the wiring added (a big etched part)....  now ready for painting ...

mqo429cn.jpg

mr9a53fv.jpg

gy6c2f9e.jpg

Cheers

Micha

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM

Hi Michael,

really nice progress mate, i like that cockpit and the wheatering and chipping you did.

Tell me, regarding the ignition wires, i see you used the pe from the box. did you use it in one whole piece or did you cut it in part's for better handling??

Greetz

Danny

Hello,

the finished cockpit was installed in the hull and further details added. The seam between the two halfs was sanded a bit to get a smooth surface.

ozwwvs94.jpg

2wcv5wo2.jpg

8e73oh8m.jpg

izgl2t3b.jpg

The completely built engine was primered in black, then sprayed in  Aluminium color from Vallejo's Metal Color series.
Details were painted in black, beige and grey with a fine brush. A black weathering followed and some clear coat on the grey area.
The engine was installed then ...

kidol4nq.jpg

5rjrxtt9.jpg

zfeda9zy.jpg

The wings were put together and further parts installed... then glued to the hull and the seam sanded clean. Some etched parts followed next ...

nadg2kra.jpg

9ywnlswl.jpg

xo9przit.jpg

6dj6hqtr.jpg

Next will be some light primer, then the painting of the wheel bays and the yellow band at the front ...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 3

Hello,

I have started to paint the Dottie. First I have primered the hull with a light grey, followed by the yellow (Lifecolor dark Yellow), and the red (Lifecolor red).
Once dry I have masked these areas and sprayed a first layer of Tamiya alluminium on the complete plane.
Sanded under water to get a smooth surface and I had the perfect base for the next colors: Vallejo's Metal Colors. I have used different colors (steel, aluminium, white aluminium, dark aluminium, burnt iron, jet exhaust) in different variants and mixes to color the different panels.
Two layers of gloss varnish as base for the decals followed ...

n2cfvxb5.jpg

ouvvhpxy.jpg

The decals are great. Really great. Very thin (attention!) and fit perfect without any silvering! 
I started with the Dottie Mae markings, followed by nearlly 100 stencils all around the plane...
minus: The plan for the positions of the stencils is not included with the kit, in the instructions there is only a hint for the website of Eduard... there you could find the plan for the stencils. Only there.

578t7k7l.jpg

p83salpm.jpg

chc5ytjz.jpg

ouoscso3.jpg

dp6wblor.jpg

5loczsjq.jpg

f49wyyes.jpg

Next gloss varnish once again to save the decals and the painting. Then painting of the olive color on the top of the fuselage and the black at the rear.
Then accentuating the panel lines, some washing and painting of the details (lights, exhaust, ....)

Cheers
Micha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the Dottie received its final painting - the oive color on the upper side. 

A black washing followed, wiped away afterwards from front to back...

The landing gear is test fitted, not finished and not finished in painting. Weathering missing.

t5cfchjk.jpg

b9wvw233.jpg

8vjhxv9u.jpg

pyc342fk.jpg

h2ml6eao.jpg

Some more weathering of the exhaust, etc follows next ...

Cheers

Micha

• Like 1