The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Pacific War Group Build

Dave J

I can feel a Sherman coming on .. knowing me, as I'm doing the British Mk.IV for the GW GB I'll mix them up and come in with something that has cannon barrels sticking out of the sides of the turret.

Fantastic timing!  I received my Tamiya Corsair today, but not sure if I can wait until 8/1/13 to start.  I see that the GB states that a kit cannot be more than than 10% completed.  Any idea how much work a guy could do to stay under that 10% rule?  I am VERY interested in participating in this GB, but wouldn't want to do too much and not be able to participate.  FWIW, I build at glacial speed LOL.

Hello,

This is my first post on LSM and I'd like to say that I've enjoyed being a voyeur and following the fantastic builds by many talented modellers. The level of skill on show is quite intimidating for someone who is essentially coming back to plastic modelling after many years. However, I really need to take the next step and make a start on one or two kitsets in the stash. (I figure if I wait for my workshop to be up to speed with all the materials I need it will never happen.)

Which leads me to the reason I've posted here. Both the WWI and Pacific Theatre group builds caught my eye and I'd like to participate in one or both as my time permits. (I have a young family and a busy career which doesn't always mean there's much time left over for the workshop.)

With respect to the Pacific theatre group build I'm thinking of either the HPH 1/32 Catilina or an A6M2N Rufe from the Tamiya A6M2 kitset with the MDC conversion. I have both kits but know with my limited time I won't be able to complete both in a year. Does anyone have any preferences or suggestions as to what I should build or what they'd like to see?

I think both kits will have their challenges but I'm quite patient and keen to get things right rather than rush. (Read perfectionist) Further, I'd really appreciate suggestions and input as I progress - as I said earlier there are many very talented people here that I've already learnt much from.

Paul

• Like 2

Welcome to LSM Paul! Please don't be intimidated... we all had to start somewhere!

I would really love to see the HPH Cat! I have one order at the moment with HPH, which shouldn't be to far from being sent I hope! My plans is to back date it to a PBY-5 that served with the RNZAF during WW2.

Either project sounds fantantic, Rick completed a Rufe Conversion not long ago... Here is his finished post http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/71-132-a6m2-n-rufe-tamiya-conversion/ which has a link to the WIP

Looking forward to what you dicide to build!

I agree with Dave ... Welcome aboard and nice to see you here.

Personally, I'd like to see the Rufe. Not many seen on the "circuit" and I think it'd be standout entry. I wouldn't mind seeing the Catalina either but the Rufe would be my first choice. Which reminds me, I still have chosen anything yet.

I'm not sure we mind what you build Paul, it's always nice to see peoples work no matter the subject. I do have one suggestion though; if you are concerned about not finishing in the year allowed and since you mention you are just coming back into the hobby after a break, maybe kick things off with an out of box build of an easy kit. The new mold 1/32 Hasegawa Ki 84 and Ki 44 are really nice to build (I've done both) and are not all that expensive. 

Hello,

Thank you for your input and thoughts - I've got some things to review now.

Dave J - In my opinion the HPH kit is beautiful. Obviously there's more finishing work involved as a result of the resin casting process (removing parts from the casting blocks for example.) but when the kit is complete down to the navigator's E6B navigation computer in photo etch there's a huge amount of scope for detail. I'd love to see what you do with it.

Part of the attraction of building the Catalina is due to my neighbour who was a navigator with the RNZAF in the Pacific. I've had some very interesting conversations at differing times - usually after a few rums. One of a few comments that were quite sobering was with respect to the vastness of the Pacific and the nature of patrolling - when crews went out, sometimes they came back.... and sometimes they didn't. No one ever saw them again or knew what happened. Tom was invalidated out of the air force after an accident certifying a .50 cal machine gun. Once back in New Zealand he joined the army and served in J-Force in Hiroshima mainly involved with repatriating Japanese POWs from mainland China.

Grant - I don't know why but amphibious/seaplanes seem to really appeal. I've also acquired the HPH Supermarine Walrus and the Revell Ar-196 with the Eduard photo etch set. I first came across the Rufe as a Guillows balsa kitset when I was a boy - not that it flew at the time. I still had much to learn about the importance of weight saving with flying models.

Brad and Doogs - you both make a good point. First of all you're right, the Catalina is huge. When I opened up the box I was gobsmacked with the size of the fuselage. (Not to mention the wingspan.) The workbench isn't a problem as I built a work area several years ago when we moved into our house. At the time my big project was (And still is.) a 1/6 scale RC Brian Taylor Bf 109F. Having said that displaying the Catalina is a whole other issue.

I think too that it is the sort of project that deserves to have time and care taken. I imagine one could spend something in the order of several hundred hours for the build, especially if learning and trialling new techniques. As an estimate it might take 5 - 10 hours a week, if not more, over the course of a year to complete and at this stage of my life that's a lot more than I have available. Even the Rufe would take significant amounts of time that right now I just don't have.

On the plus side non of the kitsets in my collection have a use-by date so I'm happy to take my time and get to them as and when I can. Perhaps the solution could be to start a build in the general forum away from time constraints. That way I could perhaps participate in the Great War group build with one of the easier kits on the market. Mind you, there's a whole new set of skills there too.

Paul

Greetings Paul!

I would LOVE to see that PBY built, doubt we'll see many of those ever built up so yours would really be an eye-catcher.  However, if you're concerned about the time frame, then go with the Rufe.  I built the Tamiya A6M5 a couple of years ago, and those Tamiya Zeroes really are top shelf kits to build.  You can't go wrong with that one!

On a side note, I've been holding off on my Tamiya Corsair build, waiting for the gun here so I can sink my teeth into it!  That will be my build for the GB here.

Hi Daywalker,

Thank you for your comments. I'd really like to get into building the Catalina, although I think it would be a long term project. Given my lack of free time I don't want to get too many projects on the go at one time. (Famous last words.) Having said that I also think the Rufe would be a really fun build.

If Tamiya's previous kits are anything to go by I'm picking the Corsair will look fantastic. I'll look forward to following your build - not long to go now. I find I'm always learning something new and getting great ideas, not to mention no shortage of inspiration from the many builds being documented at LSM.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Maybee I will be doing A Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 5 Hellcat in FAA colours or a 1/32 Revell Hurricane mk 2b in KNIL colours.  This build is in a possible planning at the end of this year

Cheers,

Arnold

• Like 1

Maybee I will be doing A Trumpeter 1/32 F-6F 5 Hellcat in FAA colours or a 1/32 Revell Hurricane mk 2b in KNIL colours.  This build is in a possible planning at the end of this year

Cheers,

Arnold

From "Dutchies in the FAA"?

From "Dutchies in the FAA"?

Yes Erik, that is the one.

If I am going to build it I still need some extras for it. Hopefully I will find it in the next couple of months on the shows.

I just remembered that I also have 2 1/32 Hasegawa  P-47D  thunderbolts in my stash. Posibly a RAF version in SEAC colours.

Cheers,

Arnold

Hi All,  

I'm a newbie.. mind if I join the group build? 

I'm hoping to build the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII,  RAAF markings..  79 Squadron.. perhaps 'Hava Go Jo !!'  or 'Avagrog' 

Also.. Hasegawa P-40M/Kittyhawk Mk.III  (I'm undecided on the scheme.. but probably kit decals.)

• Like 1

Hi Martin, thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I'll get started shortly. The plan is to build both in parallel - a fast build (P-40) and slower, more involved build (Spitfire - with some aftermarket).

I'll need to clear some space on the bench.. My stalled Trumpeter P-47N is too far progressed to meet the criteria for this build..

• Like 1

Hi All,  

I'm a newbie.. mind if I join the group build? 

I'm hoping to build the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII,  RAAF markings..  79 Squadron.. perhaps 'Hava Go Jo !!'  or 'Avagrog' 

Also.. Hasegawa P-40M/Kittyhawk Mk.III  (I'm undecided on the scheme.. but probably kit decals.)

Hi and welcome aboard.  A Mk.VIII Spit is always a winner !

• Like 1

Looking forward the P-40!

How far a head is the Jug?

Hi Dave, for the Jug.. cockpit is basically done, most of the internal plumbing and I've painted most bits of the R-2800 (needs assembly, wiring etc.. I lost steam at this point  :rolleyes:).. fuselage not together.. still a longish way to go...  !?

P-40 is one of my favorites... ! 

Hi and welcome aboard.  A Mk.VIII Spit is always a winner !

Thanks Grant.. hopefully I can do it justice. . :) 

• Like 1

Hi Dave, for the Jug.. cockpit is basically done, most of the internal plumbing and I've painted most bits of the R-2800 (needs assembly, wiring etc.. I lost steam at this point  :rolleyes:).. fuselage not together.. still a longish way to go...  !?

P-40 is one of my favorites... !

If you think the GB will help you getting out of the rut and finishing... Please post post up Pics and see what the members say! We are pretty accommodating on LSM!

• Like 1