The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

"Yellow 13" JG 54, Netherlands August 1940

Guest styrenedemon

Guest styrenedemon

It's time for me to get in on the action. I know the deadline is fast approaching, but I think I can get this one cranked out in time. I'll be going OOB for this one. I plan to save the resin/PE extravaganza for the Trop E-7.

I feel like I should do some jail time since I basically stole this kit for $20 at our recent show when it goes for around $54 online. 

EDU00003003_0_l_zps483a798d.jpg

I intend to do a scheme I've been in love with for a long time now. I actually bought an old Hasegawa 109 years ago that sports this scheme (or one very similar), but have just recently found the guts to tackle the camo. (Enamels freaking rock)

EDU00008263_2_l_zps97ba51e4.jpg

I've been slowly plugging away on this one the past few days in between other things. My idea was to build up as much as I can before breaking out the paint. Just a quick snap of pretty much everything that I could do before needing paint. I've primed with Alclad gloss black as a base since some of this stuff will be Alclad. Most all of this ends up RLM 02.

That's where I'm at now. I'll begin the painting in the next day or so. 

EA06511C-EC04-438F-900E-7631907D80E7-137

As always, thanks for looking in.

Guest styrenedemon

Well... it's a start. Looking forward to more.....Harv

Lol...no pressure, Harv. I'll try to work faster :P

Looking good Jimmy... Clock is ticking! Only 56 days to go!

Well I'm on a three month vacation (from work, but I'll have the kids at home), so I should be able to pull this one off. I really wanted to do a 110 for this, but there is no way I have the time for that, so I went simple. 

About freakin' time! ;)

Well...I'd been trying to decide if I should commit at this late stage or not. I'm still not convinced it was a great idea :D

• Members

This kit goes together pretty well so seven weeks should be plenty of time.  I didn't have to use any filler at all the last one I built.  If you're going to go with the engine cowl closed option just dry fit all your parts first.  This area gives some people fits but I've never had a problem with it.

Guest styrenedemon

This kit goes together pretty well so seven weeks should be plenty of time.  I didn't have to use any filler at all the last one I built.  If you're going to go with the engine cowl closed option just dry fit all your parts first.  This area gives some people fits but I've never had a problem with it.

It looks to be a fairly nice kit so far. Though, I do think there is some slight warpage in the front fuselage (from Texas heat perhaps) when I dry fit, but nothing that looks to be much trouble. I am leaving the engine out. I'm going to go with the suggestion for construction that Eduard recommends and leave a lot of those components out. 

Guest styrenedemon

I was looking over some WIPS of 109s with Aires resin cockpits and became a little disenchanted with the detail in the stock kit...lol...so I decided I'm going to close up the canopy. I didn't spend a whole lot of time and effort going crazy with the cockpit. Apologies :)

IMG_6163_zps3b0b4400.jpg

IMG_6164_zps98d1bab0.jpg

There was no slight warpage in the fuselage...there was some major warpage. I managed to get things together. I didn't photograph it. I have a really bad habit of getting into beast mode and hyper focusing when something goes wrong and can't rest until I've fixed it. Not a big issue...it just took some careful manipulation and gluing small runs of the fuse together. Only big issue was fixing this area below that created a step that couldn't be avoided....

IMG_6210_zpsdfdec80c.jpg

The top fuse seam wasn't all that pretty, so ironically I had to fill, sand, polish, re-scribe, and re-rivet...

IMG_6212_zps6edefe0f.jpg

Moving to the wings I'm left with this...equally bad on both sides!

IMG_6206_zps9e6aa5c3.jpg

Wasn't a real issue though...after gluing the top halves on they seem to be nice and straight as they should be. 

• Members

IMHO that cockpit looks good enough to display with the canopy open.  That seam line on the oil cooler does suck, wish they would have done it like the smaller scale Tamiya 109's and provided it as a single piece (like the real thing).

Guest styrenedemon

Ah! Looks like you got a bad 'un! It's definitely fighting you but I bet you get it licked in the end. Good effort so far!! Keep going, you'll be glad you did.

I'm not expecting any more issues....lol...but you never know. The particular guy at the show I bought it from was obviously selling off stash, and there is a good chance this sucker was a victim of the Texas heat. At the  price I paid I'd take 4 more just like it though :D No way he could have known...everything looked great on the sprues.