Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About DoogsATX

  • Rank
    LSM Addict
  • Birthday 12/13/1979

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Austin, TX
  • Interests

Recent Profile Visitors

1,328 profile views
  1. I think White Ensign was the same - and considering you had a very similar experience it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  2. That reminds me of my experience using White Ensign several years ago. The stuff just would not stay in suspension and nearly ruined an airbrush as a result. Glad you got them to play nice.
  3. I'm an admin of the Scale Modelers Critique Group on Facebook - I can take it!
  4. It's not the paint. It's the resin itself. Cleaning's not going to do squat. Latex was only used inside the intake trunks. Unthinned specifically so it will coat the trunks smoothly.
  5. Yeah that's why if the PLW doesn't do the trick and even them out, I'll be replacing with PE. Which'll suck, too, but less than hollowing them all out individually.
  6. Nope - just shot it in straight
  7. More fun over the weekend - got the intakes installed and started the process of cleaning up the join. Although I'm not at all happy with how the mesh in front of the intakes looks at the moment - resin casting definitely had some issues here. I'm going to try giving them a panel line wash and seeing if that evens things out. If not I'll be resorting to some PE from the Eduard mesh set.
  8. Meanwhile, up front... I'm pretty impressed with the job Academy's done on the instrument panel (the throttle and stick are similarly nice). The side consoles aren't quite as impressed but still perfectly workable. I've got an SJU-17 sitting here presently, but just learned that this Hornets in this production batch were using SJU-5/6 seats. Wolfpacks are on the way. Also starting what will be some sill wear. I didn't have the mint-colored primer on hand, but I do have some Mr. Paint Russian Turquoise, and mixed that with some Lemon Gray and Light Ghost Gray to get to a close shade. More to come on this front. And...Dark Gull Gray in the cockpit. Lots of detail work to come.
  9. The build order pretty much dictates that I get the intakes sorted first. So...a quick sand to smooth out the insides, then some primer. A bit of Gunze Hemp to provide some very subtle tonal variation, the on to overall Mr. Paint Light Ghost Gray. Now comes the fun stuff. The gray carries back a distance into the Hornet's intakes before transitioning to white. And the opening isn't all that big, so masking around an irregular curve would be nearly impossible. Solution - slight modification to the latex house paint method. First...get some paint. Then close up the back of the intake. I found my disposable paint cups fitted perfectly. A little bit of tape, a little bit of liquid mask, and I had enough of a barrier to do the job. No need to miles of tape! Next...how to get the paint into the intakes without getting paint all over the forward gray portions? I got around this by cutting the bulb off a disposable pipette and shoving the shaft onto a children's medicine syringe (we have tons of them). Reach and precision! The intakes were loaded up with paint, which was allowed to sit for a few minutes, and then drained. The morning after...
  10. Since I'm going with seamless intakes, I figured a good test-fitting was the right place to start. The Rhino instructions say to install the fuselage sides first, then squeeze the intakes into place. Well, I've only taped them so far, but still, the fit is pretty close to where it needs to be. The outer rim of the intakes is also nice and smooth, so cleaning up any seam should be pretty straightforward. The Aires exhausts are solid, too. Love the outside/inside design and it should make painting a bit easier.
  11. After waffling for a bit once I wrapped up the F-104, I've landed on my next 1/32 jet build - Academy's F/A-18C. I was 11 when Operation Desert Storm went down, and as such the aircraft of that conflict are burned into my mind in a very particular way. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case with decal manufacturers, particularly with the Hornet. The default - even for legacy Hornets - is either OIF schemes or garishly-painted CAG birds. I'm really not a fan of colors over what should be a low-viz scheme, so that leaves the decal options very tight. In the case of the C, I'll be doing a MiG-killer from VFA-81, the Sunliners. This isn't it, but another C from the same squadron, to give a sense of the weathering: Aftermarket's a bit all over the place: - Quickboost SJU-17 - Data addendum decal sheet for things like ejection seat stencils - Airscale IP and placard decals - Eduard placard set - Eduard stencil masks - CAM Decals for the VFA-81 markings - Rhino seamless intakes and wheels - Aires exhausts - Zactomodels AIM-9s - Wolfpack Mk.84s (x4) - G-Factor metal landing gear
  12. Coming along nicely! Love the use of the foil - and relieved to see I'm not the only one for whom this is a long-term effort!
  13. And after a marathon session last night - this thing is done and off the bench: Overall - glad I built it and happy to have a 104 in the display cabinet, but the sloppiness of the Italeri kit makes the finish out maddening, and the decals, even though Cartograf printed, are rather thick. If I were doing this again, I'd strongly considering doing a West German one using Daco's huge sheet.
  14. Final clear coat down - still plenty to do with tanks, missiles, wheels, and the cockpit sill, but the end is definitely in sight!
  15. MOAR PROGRESS! Got the topside panel line washes done last night - a mix of Ammo Dark Green Gray, Deep Gray, Medium Gray and Black Night. Up next...panel line washes on the underside and some touch ups on areas up top. Once I get through those I'll be heading into the real home stretch.