Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About rkranias

  • Rank
    Rick K
  • Birthday 02/09/1955

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Washington, DC
  • Interests
    Chasing my kids, making my wife laugh, gym rat, single malt with good maduro.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,102 profile views
  1. but you know its there! that's all that matter.
  2. rkranias

    Ok, I'm showing off...

    Thanks Kent!
  3. exceptional in any ways. nice rendering James. curious, will the wings be detachable after construction/paint? for storage? what will the wing span and fuselage length be? Thanks for posting James.
  4. rkranias

    TA-152 Zoukei Moura Finally Done

    this is a beauty. congrats on quashing those demons Rob!
  5. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    A few pics of finished work. These are iPhone pics and will execute 35mm photoshoot this weekend.
  6. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    Aerial rigging is my next step and I opted to get some practice (for future WNW builds) making making my own turnbuckles. Using Albion 0.5mm Nickel Micro Tubing and Ultra Wire X-Small I made turnbuckles. A little time consuming but I'm pleased with results. Nav lights installed. Drilling a .5mm hole and inserting the turnbuckle is easier than said. Not as clean as I'd like it. FICE Much better... EZ Line small is great to work with as it's very forgiving and stretchy too.
  7. Hey guys, I'm in need of the windscreen for TRU P-40B. Serious dire straights have come my way.
  8. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    I'l be watching! You have canopy masks? I have extra set.
  9. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    While the streaking and grime dries I got to spend some quality time with my Opti-Visor and work on the navigation lights. .5mm holes drilled on back of kit supplied navigation lights. Luckly the sprue was quite thick and I was able to drill the holes while on the sprue. After drilling I carefully added paint in the hole with a 0/10 brush. One of these days I'm going to use blue as the bulb for the starboard light is actually blue and looks green when bulb is on. After paint dried I carefully scraped excess paint with a sharp blade. Then with a micro saw each lens was removed from the thick sprue. Painting the reflector base of these lenses presented a masking challenge. To mask the lenses I pressed each lens into Tacky Putty base side up and applied Alclad Dark Aluminum. Applying in light layers building up as not to have paint bleed on sides of lens. The white lens does show up.
  10. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    I applied weathering based on reference photos of Hawaiian P40's. Lots of foot traffic on wings at wing root and gun bays. Hopefully I'll capture the look I want. MiG Streaking Grime applied with sponge. Anxious to see what happens when I apply the Matte varnish. Some Fuel/Oil stains at the filler caps add seeping through the panel line of the aft cockpit glazing. Streaking grime applied with brush and feathered with soft make-up sponge. Wheel well aft edges got some love with brush and sponge. Panel line wash did not deliver the look I wanted. I might redo.
  11. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    Thanks Mike. Is your P40B on the bench?
  12. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    The P40B/C used the N-2A floor mounted gunsight with reflector mounted on windscreen. Assumption the P40N may have used either N-3A or British 1008 gunsight/reflector mounted on the IP comb. Great tip on the dulling forward tips of blades. I'l be applying dull coat in a few days and will have the prop assembly handy.
  13. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    Determining how to do the prop and prop hub was a selective process. All natural metal/silver prop? All black prop? I poured over many images of P40B and Pearl Harbor P40B's. It was a mix of many. Some props were even natural metal/silver with black backs. Weathering the prop hub was also important. The Pearl Harbor P40B's were rather clean with maintenance wear and dirt. Not the weathering/wear you would see on an aircraft as a result of the cadence of war. Prop hub is Gunze 69 Off White and prop blades are Gunze Super Metallic 06 Chome Silver. Weathering (round one) is done with pigments and panel line wash. Back of prop blades are MRP Nato Black. A little bit of Uschi Metal Polishing Powder Chrome Type applied for wear. Kit prop decals are beyond unacceptable. Either too large or weird symbols. Prop logo decals are Füdekals and the prop stencils are from the Airfix 1:48 P40B. Very happy with the results. The prop hub got some more weathering. A little more chrome powder on backs of the prop blades. All good. Hub detail washed out due to crummy photography. Next step is to weathering on aircraft. Home stretch in sight.
  14. rkranias

    Trumpeter P40B

    The windscreen handed me many challenges. Aligning the armor glass provided plenty of angst. Deciding on the reflector glass yielded a new drama. At first I was going to drill into the windscreen and mount a scratchbuilt reflector. My spider sense was tingling with all the armor framing mount molded into the windscreen. I passed and created a reflector decal with my inkjet printer then secured to a piece of clear stryene and secured with some Future (PMFP) Not 100% happy with results. I might try to fit a SH P36A windscreen. For now I'll take the FICE approach. Pardon all the dust.