Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Grey Matter Conversion'.
Here's the latest project to cross the finish line - the 1970's original issue 1/32nd scale Spitfire MkI which has been used as the base kit to produce a Spitfire PRXIX using Grey Matter's conversion set. I chose the original Revell kit rather than the latest release due to the far superior surface detailing (and the fact that it was picked up cheaply at an airshow!) and although it has an issue with the lack of the gull wing effect on the underside I found that far easier to live with than the ridiculously over-scale trenches and rivets seen on the latest Revell offering. The conversion provides a completely new nose section for the big Griffon engine, a new tail fin and rudder, replacement elevators, new propeller, two new radiators and a vacformed canopy for the pressurised cockpit. Work began by modifying the MkI wing - the radiator and oil cooler were removed, along with carburetor intake. The kit didn't have any wheel well detail so this was scratch-built, and the cartridge ejector ports were also blanked off: S1030089 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr The fuselage had the Merlin engine cut off at the firewall, I modified and installed an aftermarket cockpit set to replace the basic detail in the kit, and I also scratch-built the camera bays in the rear fuselage: S1030097 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr The original nose was then replaced with the resin Griffon one, the MkI tail was sliced off and the resin replacement installed, and the gun bay covers were all filled as of course the PRXIX was unarmed: S1030119 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr The Grey Matter conversion kit didn't supply any decals, so I used ModelDecal serials, Xtradecal roundels and the new HGW Spitfire stencil set. Xtracolour enamels were used throughout the build. 1/32nd scale Spitfire PRXIX PS853 of the Meteorological Flight, RAF Woodvale, 1953: DSC_0060 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0065 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0069 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0071 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0073 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0088 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0093 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0094 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr DSC_0101 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr All in all this was a reasonably straightforward conversion to do, the resin parts fitted well and it finally gives me my favourite version of the Spitfire in 1/32nd scale. In hindsight I could easily have based this conversion on the PCM MkIV kit, but I like a bit of a challenge and there's nothing better than dragging ancient kits kicking and screaming into the 21st Century! Until next time, Tom
Morning all, The Spitfire PRXIX is my favourite mark of the breed, and with no kit currently available of this iconic photo-recce version I have decided to convert the original 1970s issue Revell 1/32nd scale MkI into the PRXIX using Grey Matter's conversion set. I've chosen the original issue as I feel the surface detail is a far better representation of the actual aircraft, with Revell's newer issue blighted by ridiculously over-sized sunken rivets and panel lines. The 1970s release has beautifully delicate panel and rivet detail, and is a far better representation of the surface of the real aircraft - in my opinion anyway So, the plan is to use this as the basis for the build... S1030026 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr And combine it with these resin parts: S1030029 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr S1030033 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr ...to hopefully make a large-scale version of this Griffon-powered beauty. I've begun by removing the parts needed from the standard MkI wing and plugging the gaps with plastic card. The oil cooler, radiator and carburetor intake have all been blanked off in preparation for the aftermarket parts. The cartridge-ejector ports are the next items that'll need filling in this image: S1030037 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr I've been concentrating most of my efforts on the fuselage, as there's quite a bit needed to bring it up to the PRXIX standard. The original kit lacks any sort of decent interior detail, and what was there was sanded away and the sidewalls and floors have been replaced with a resin set from Aires. I think it's actually for the Hasegawa MkV, but with a bit of modification and creative thinking the main cockpit area is a close enough resemblance to the later mark, and when compared to the Airfix 1/48th cockpit is certainly passable. The rear of the cockpit is totally different on the PRXIX, and being pressurised I have had to make numerous modifications. There is a rear pressure bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit, along with a shelf where the oxygen system is mounted (yet to be made and added), and behind that is the camera bay. This has had the rear bulkhead made, as well as the internal structure added and the framework for the cameras themselves, which was all made from Evergreen strip. Camera ports have been added to the lower fuselage, and the access doors opened up: S1030097 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr S1030103 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr The nose has been roughly sliced off at this stage in preparation for the new resin nose and Griffon engine: S1030086 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr S1030084 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr Work has continued on the wing, with the gear bays being scratch built, the shell casing ejector ports filled and the radiator and oil cooling housings blanked off and sanded flush. The whole wing has been sanded extensively to remove panel detail in preparation for my own details to be added: S1030089 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr S1030096 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr And with a dry fit of the Griffon, the graceful lines of the PRXIX become apparent: S1030082 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr S1030078 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr Now, if momentum stays with me I think I'll have a bash at the tail. Until next time, Tom