Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bomber'.
Found 3 results
Lancaster B Mk.I, R5868, PO-S (S-Sugar) It's been a week or so since I tool delivery of the test shot for HK's soon-to-be-released Lancaster kit, and despite some pretty crap illness last week, I made some headway this weekend and snipped some plastic. Most of what you see here is dry-fit, with a very small number of glued components. I've read on another site that this model has soft detail and soft edges. Perhaps that's the impression my photos gave, but actually having the plastic here, I know it's not the case, and is no better/worse than recent and contemporary releases, and is every bit as sharp as I would expect from a modern tooling. There was also a hint towards 'brand loyalty' too, suggesting that I would happily write nice words where none were really justified (in not as many words). My answer to that is bullshit. There's no such thing as a perfect kit, and this is far from a perfect kit. However, the Lanc is my thing, so here we go. From the RAF Museum: Building a Lanc As I have said, work at the moment has simply to snip some plastic and do a little test fitting. This time it's quite nice to be furnished with some instructions as I was building blind with the test shot fuse I received in Shizuoka. Unlike that test, this one required me snipping off all of the injection points which double as pin towers, from the circumference of the fuse halves. These are connected to the joint faces, which I prefer, and you'll notice that because of this, there are no pin marks within the fuse halves. Of course, the nose is a separate unit too. Hers's a couple of basic mock-ups of the cockpit area, minus many key details which still need to be installed. This kit does have a serious lack of wiring moulded into the cockpit areas, linking up the various avionics panels. This will need to be added with some lead wire before I can start to add some paint. When complete, things should look quite different. The bomb bay is around 12 inches long and is constructed as two parts. No other items fit into here apart from the sidewalls. The munitions plug directly into these plates. 18 bombs and 1 cookie. I also did a little turret work too, and here you can see the rear turret sat in position on the rear fuse. Note the tail spar boxing and the walkway. There will also be internal fuselage doors installed here, which I'll add when the interior is painted. More soon!
There are only three Lancasters in the world that are not stationary in a museum: The BBMF Mk.III PA474, the Canadian Mk.X FM213, and NX611 "Just Jane" - the one below. This virtual tour has been created for the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre in East Kirkby. There are three panoramas from the outside, eight of the inside, from the bomb aimer to the rear gunner, and a high resolution panorama of the Memorial Chapel. Almost all details are labelled, many explained, just move the mouse cursor over an item of interest. Click here open the panorama, and switch to full screen mode! Internet Explorer is not recommended here, all other browsers work well. If you are interested in future aircraft panoramas, please sign up to my mailing list! A bit more about the panorama can be found here. Next to come are a Tiger Moth. If you can think of an aircraft that could benefit from such work, please let me know!
Helo Everybody, I've been a lurker on this site for quite some time, admiring all of the excellent work done by everybody here, I've never posted a build before. So, this is my first build post on this site. This B-17 is the 4th aircraft I've built since getting back in the hobby after a 35 year hiatus. I have well over 400 hours over a 14 month period building this beast. IMO, it is an excellent kit. The detail is amazing and most of the kit engineering was amazing as well. I've used just about every Eduard PE set available except the flaps, maybe on the next one.... I used the Profimodeller Landing Gear set and the Eduard Brassin wheels and 50 cal machine guns. It took 9 bottles of various shades of Alclad to paint her. I think the Alclad came out amazing and to me, it looks like a metal aircraft. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy looking at my finished results: