The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

BF/ME 109 32nd scale kits....

imatt88

• Members

... This is my theory too! ... either that, or they use the wrong reference materials sometimes ... research is the key ... frustrating when you see the decent quality of engineering and inclusions that go into their kits!! Take away any and all errors and they would be the "go-to" kit for just about everyone.

The Me-262 series, Swordfish ... and the damnable American dive bomber I can't remember are good cases in point.

If you have a sheet of EagleCals decals for a 109, look at the side profile line drawing they use as a decal placement reference.  The rudder on the drawing they use and the detail on on the Trumpy rudder are an exact match.  From the too small size to the raised detail they're pretty much identical.  I wish they would have just copied Hasegawa instead!

• Members

Mike... 109 burnout??? Never! You just finished a 110 so you should be fresh to continue your 109 crusade!

Well the G-14/AS is about 15 minutes away from being finished.  My last five finished kits are:

Trumpeter Bf 109G-5

Eduard Bf 109E-7

Hasegawa Bf 109G-14

Dragon Bf 110D-3

Hasegawa Bf 109G-14/AS

That's a lot of Messy's even for me!  Going to do a P-40 or two for the Pacific GB and WNW for the GWGB.

• Like 1

Precisely :)

It's no biggie, and God knows I have probably done it myself loads of times, but it does make threads a little easier to read through I think.

Right, back to my sashimi...

:)

Rog,

Thanks for the links.  I was great info to have.  Kitbash the best parts of all those 109s and you could really make an accurate "E" :lol:

Part III would be an interesting read, if we could only find it.... ;)

Cheers,  Ian

Thanks for the links.  I was great info to have.  Kitbash the best parts of all those 109s and you could really make an accurate "E" :lol:

Cheers,  Ian

or you could just buy the DML one

i am serious btw

• Like 1

or you could just buy the DML one

i am serious btw

Agreed. The Cyber-Hobby Emil is a stunning kit.

Hey guys ...

I appreciate that you admire the DML/Cyber Hobby Wing Tech kits ... and I'll admit they are really nice - I have one ...

But in Re-reading the reviews I posted links to earlier (from LSP) ... There look to be just as many flaws in it as in others realy ...

I have 3 Trumpy Emils ... and One DML ... all are built ... the Trumpy's were far easier to put together for me and therefore more enjoyable (The cowl on the DML P**sed me off no end) ... and realy, for me, its a case of spot the difference - I have to use the above mentioned links and REALLY look to spot the flaws ...

I dunno ... but I think the Trumpy is ok really for 99.9% of the population :) ...

I was told by the 'brand police' that Eduard is the 'best' kit (not that I pay THAT much attention!). But I was thinking about grabbing the E-1 ??? ... suggestions??

Eduard are the only makers of E-1 out of the box....i.e. they provide a new wing without the bulges for 20mm MGFF cannon ammo drums. So, I don't know about 'best' but certainly 'only'....

Regarding assembly, some have fought the kit all the way, some have breezed though building it. I know some have had issues fixing the fit of the top of the rear cowl....more often than not I think people are trying to fix a non-error here. The cowl had a small air gap to ventilate engine bay... it's clear on photos from the correct angle....

Matt

I haven't looked at my Eduard Es cowl closely (my first has a resin nose replacing it all), but is the fit of front to rear cowl worse than this?

The E cowls are quite a rough fit in places. look at front of turbo intake to rear of this (on different panels)

9376072651_ea6e6dbd45.jpg

Matt

Aha... I see, the other end... :) . I suppose the 'suck in' can be cured with some spacers.  The cowl to spinner fit is a less obvious one to correct...

How was the fit at the back end Matt...?  I'm interested as I have a 'couple' of these stashed away....

Matt

@ Doogs & Matt ... Thanks for the heads up!

I had read about the inability of the Eduard kits to 'button up' the engine once fitted. The only reason for buying the E-1 was to display it 'ready to go' ... or with cowl fitted, in the paint scheme that ajcmac is using on his build thread on here - It would be handy to be able to display the engine, but given that you can't, my preference is to do away with it - unless there are AM options for a 'fix' out there?

I suppose I could just go ahead and buy one anyway ... whats the deal with the resin AM nose, Matt - how did that work?

Rog :)

• Members

@Rog- I don't think Eduard ever intended for the engine to be built up and and have the cowl on simultaneously.  If you look at the instruction breakdown they only show the cowl installed without the engine in place.

• Like 1

Hi ... everyone?!?! ... Thanks for all the info!!!

I mean seriously ... I love forums for all the fantastic info available!! ...

I think each of us builds to a completely different standard - one that is determined by our own internal levels of "acceptable" ... unfortunately, for some, their level of "acceptable" is a non-negotiable benchmark for everyone - which is why I never post build work ... or completed work on a forum :) ...

But I digress from the topic at hand ...

... my first has a resin nose replacing it all ... 

Matt ... whose resin nose (manufacter?) and would this nose work with the Eduard 1/32 E-1 kit??

@Rog- I don't think Eduard ever intended for the engine to be built up and and have the cowl on simultaneously.  If you look at the instruction breakdown they only show the cowl installed without the engine in place.

I HAVE read a couple of build reviews as I was pointing out above - which agree with what you are telling me - so thanks! ... And thanks for letting me know that the instructions outline the OPTION (I was worried that I might have to figure out what to add ... or not!!). I just think it's a shame that an 'undersized'-fitting engine option wasn't at least on offer, say, aftermarket through Eduard :)

But ... I'm buying the kit (or kits) for the reasons of:

A/ The colour schemes and markings: France, May 1940 era ... the colours used look different with higher contrasts than in later splinter patterns ... cool identifier artwork etc

B/ The wing-minus- FF cannon mag bulge.

I suppose I COULD buy a DML/CH E-3 and do the sand-fill-rescribe-rerivet dance ... but then I'd have to go chasing decals anyway, yeah?

So ... think cowl closed, no engine, nice fitting ... sweet display :D

Thanks

HI Rog

"Matt ... whose resin nose (manufacter?) and would this nose work with the Eduard 1/32 E-1 kit??"

Sorry I wasn't clear there. I sawed the nose off the Eduard Weekend Edition E-1 to make one of A2Zee's early Bf109 conversions. He does several and they are excellent.. They, along with several other nice conversions are listed here http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/alley-cat-aircraft-sets-132-scale-325-c.asp

If you leave out the engine, you may wish to saw off a couple of bits of it to stick behind some of the larger front vents as the engine (or lack of in this case) would be quite visible....

Matt

... I sawed the nose off the Eduard Weekend Edition E-1 to make one of A2Zee's early Bf109 conversions ...

Ahhh ... I see! ... though tell me, is the nose on the D version that much different from the E (except prop or spinner) ??

At any rate ... Whether I use kit parts or AM parts my main concern is getting that nose assembly to fit! Nicely ...

Which it seems, from a couple of build threads posted on here, that it does not ...

Ahhh ... I see! ... though tell me, is the nose on the D version that much different from the E (except prop or spinner) ??

At any rate ... Whether I use kit parts or AM parts my main concern is getting that nose assembly to fit! Nicely ...

Which it seems, from a couple of build threads posted on here, that it does not ...

Rog

VERY different.... do a Google search. The early 109s had Jumo 210 engine, large radiator bath under nose (not dissimilar to Ju87 setup) and no radiators under the wing - except a teeny weeny oil cooler lost somewhere - very small item...

It will fit, you'll just have to keep fiddling until it does....

Matt