Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don’t know if it’s ok to post it here but I want to share with you some pics of the diorama-accessories which I have build for my Lancaster-Diorama. Meanwhile, I‘ve finished some brake-blocks, an entrance-ladder and a RAF Tilly van. The Tilly is a „shake & bake“ from Tamiya and the rest is scratched from sheet and stretched sprue. 
The baseplate is only interim and will be exchanged later in the build.

752E016C-06AC-4A6A-A2EA-69A0AEB32854.jpeg

6C26014A-1A2A-40E4-ABCC-E9C4194D87ED.jpeg

35E3358B-EE86-4319-A16E-19791BB98C5B.jpeg

35CED24C-C541-4B3A-B0F7-76D5D8DAC732.jpeg

DC6ACE81-1F96-45F0-A1D8-CE6A7EE5E8D4.jpeg

23199392-1CCF-45DE-9859-B6F6587B0E13.jpeg

C29038EC-14CC-43A3-A1EB-4F6F632C0CC4.jpeg

C04BAB9C-B5D0-4DC4-BC41-8E6E13D39EE3.jpeg

3F04F5FE-0E9D-4E19-B141-238D47141AB8.jpeg

6C852A96-82B7-4D55-B6FA-577E35048B1D.jpeg

B8A6DD88-B0C2-4DD6-A648-BC473D3406E7.jpeg

9E0E614B-4E5C-4D6A-AC55-BDC3BF0EA2F3.jpeg

62CF5CA5-4F09-4197-84A4-2F6034A43008.jpeg

DF5AFFBB-8EE8-4CD8-BB80-BD39C0268FEA.jpeg

824F8615-6CCB-4403-853F-83E87D881DCA.jpeg

81ACA031-EDAE-4032-BED9-B6B9FA7A606F.jpeg

E812BEF0-8AB9-4A29-891E-D68882CA30F1.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly appreciate the efforts you have gone to there Kai. All the item certainly add to the scene.

Historically the vehicle should be Brown or a green base, RAF Blue came post-war.

 

I like the ladder as well and the only 'true' example I saw was that of a former ground crew member who had acquired one and it was painted aircraft interior green. 

Can I ask what you used for the exhaust staining  ? ? my example was heavily stained and your painting looks spot-on.

rgds

Ian

Hillman Tilly 009.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FME erk said:

I certainly appreciate the efforts you have gone to there Kai. All the item certainly add to the scene.

Historically the vehicle should be Brown or a green base, RAF Blue came post-war.

 

I like the ladder as well and the only 'true' example I saw was that of a former ground crew member who had acquired one and it was painted aircraft interior green. 

Can I ask what you used for the exhaust staining  ? ? my example was heavily stained and your painting looks spot-on.

rgds

Ian

Hillman Tilly 009.jpg

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your feedback. I didn’t knew about the color of the car. I will leave mine as it is, because new painting would be too much effort. 

Regarding the ladder I will repaint it in aircraft interior green. I have only 2 original fotos of the ladder. One from NX 711 and one in b&w from ED 932. I assume that the red color of NX 711  is only due to the safety of visitors.

To your question: 
I first painted on a mix of Revell Colors Flat Black 8 and Flat Brown 83 thinned to a ratio of 80% Thinner and 20% Color  on the upper and lower sides of the wings and nacelles in several layers.

This was followed by a mix of Revell Colors flat white 5, flat black 8 and a drop of light brown 89 thinned 70-30 (Thinner-Color).

Finally I made the stains dirty with the sand-color and soot-color out of the Tamiya Weatherine Set A and B. Otherwise they looked too regular for me.

I attach some fotos of the process.

Hope, that helps you

Cheers  

Kai

FE9B6D19-5FE5-4E2C-8F5B-43008649AF31.jpeg

7B379975-1473-4C75-961A-56D64BB78205.jpeg

4F57B694-D30D-4A85-A454-7B5E34EEB693.jpeg

2C06294C-AB52-4FE3-9EC4-7CCB01056173.jpeg

A9A7B01D-4110-42D1-89C7-62787ACF54A9.jpeg

B2DB2428-FAB6-4F58-AC24-562494E08350.jpeg

8D8CD7BE-C8BC-4AFF-9DEF-CC935B2D9794.jpeg

5994470A-188B-4734-8E1B-E8FB8158B70F.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FME erk said:

Many thanks for those Kai

I shall certainly look to those or reference . . .

I usually applied powders to try and get that effect

Cheers

Ian

 

Tamiya HW-K 068.jpg

Hi Ian,

Very nice Lanc! Which scale is this? Also nice background in the diorama. Do you have a photo of the complete dio?

 
Really like your exhaust-stains! With what kind of powder did you create them? How did you apply it?
Looks very convincing! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kai

Its the Tamiya Lanc in 48th scale.

Many alterations were made which included moving the W/op.'s window, enlarging the second escape hatch along the fuselage and removing the wing section joint lines to name but a few.

The back drop is from Australia used in the railway modelling world, it comes in a 7ft roll if I remember.

AS for the powders, I use these chalk sticks that I scrape into a small container and then apply with a brush across the wing flow  . . . 

I hope you like 

Ian

HK Chalk pastels .JPG

Tamiya Lancaster 229.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 220.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 222.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FME erk said:

Kai

Its the Tamiya Lanc in 48th scale.

Many alterations were made which included moving the W/op.'s window, enlarging the second escape hatch along the fuselage and removing the wing section joint lines to name but a few.

The back drop is from Australia used in the railway modelling world, it comes in a 7ft roll if I remember.

AS for the powders, I use these chalk sticks that I scrape into a small container and then apply with a brush across the wing flow  . . . 

I hope you like 

Ian

HK Chalk pastels .JPG

Tamiya Lancaster 229.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 220.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 222.jpg

Ian,

Thanks for your reply and the fotos.

Your Tamiya Lanc looks fantastic. The staining along the wings is quite realistic. What I didn’t do but read more often was that the stains also occurred on the tailplanes, like on yours! And you also opened the window of the pilot! Well done! 

I also have Pastel-Chalks which I will also try on one of my next builds. 
How do you fix them after application? Is it possible with another layer of flat varnish? 


The background is really nice and a good idea. 7 ft last for a big diorama! The truck is a very nice addition! Didn’t know that this is available in 48 scale! 
 

Since I also have a Tamiya-Lanc in my stash is it possible to get a list from you with the faults which have to be corrected? I would highly appreciate that! 

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kai


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kai

Have a look in here  . . .

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/tamiya-1-48th-lancaster-ed583-wings-for-victory-10-t46830.html

The crew bus was scratch built.

I dont use anything once I have applied the pastel chalks !

I did spray a matt varnish but it all disappeared ??

I haven't use any after that experience

Hope it helps 

cheers 

Ian

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Between Kai, Ian and JohnB, you guys are determined that I going to have to build a Lanc soon..........

Never realised that the H2S location was a turret location........something else I’ve learnt........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FME erk said:

Kai

Have a look in here  . . .

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/tamiya-1-48th-lancaster-ed583-wings-for-victory-10-t46830.html

The crew bus was scratch built.

I dont use anything once I have applied the pastel chalks !

I did spray a matt varnish but it all disappeared ??

I haven't use any after that experience

Hope it helps 

cheers 

Ian

 

 

Thanks for the link Ian, for sure it will help!  I will use it, when I build my Tamiya-Lanc! It‘s the best reference, I can get. By the way beautiful job on the Lanc! I went through all pages of your post there. And the crew-bus is simply amazing. All scratch-build? Chapeau! 

So no fixing of the pastels on the model. This means handling with care. Will keep it in mind...

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing more of your 32nd Lanc! 
Kai
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...