The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter F14-D Tomcat and Zacto intakes

Hi Bevan Brooks

I use Vallejo Model Air made a thin layer of a dark Grey color just to have a base now the paint will not form drops if I stay on one spot to long.

I thin them with just a bit more some colors can use more then other colors the White and Light Greys need more Thinning.

Now for like Black and high contrast colors when I do small patches I use clear matt varnish so I can build up the layer and not in danger it will run because the paint is to thin.

Now for White you need to stir the paint constantly if you thin it the bigger particles will sink faster and you notice the paint will get more granular I have a cloth in the other hand to blow air back in to the airbrush cup so it keeps it a live.

And for the dry tip cleaning the only thing I hate about the water base paint.

Johan bos 

• Like 1

Hi Bevan Brooks

I use Vallejo Model Air made a thin layer of a dark Grey color just to have a base now the paint will not form drops if I stay on one spot to long.

I thin them with just a bit more some colors can use more then other colors the White and Light Greys need more Thinning.

Now for like Black and high contrast colors when I do small patches I use clear matt varnish so I can build up the layer and not in danger it will run because the paint is to thin.

Now for White you need to stir the paint constantly if you thin it the bigger particles will sink faster and you notice the paint will get more granular I have a cloth in the other hand to blow air back in to the airbrush cup so it keeps it a live.

And for the dry tip cleaning the only thing I hate about the water base paint.

Johan bos

Thanks for the feed back Johan looking forward to seeing more work on this cheers Bevan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have been a bit distracted for 4 days visit fantastic lisbon and Cascais love the country and it people.
But back in holland I needed to work long hours and not much time to work on the tomcat but thursday I found a great airmail padded bag on my doorstep all the way from Australia From Ken Stetzenko a member from LSP I now send the other Figther town decals to him.
here a little progress on the horizontal tail plane and removed the tape of the top airbrake.
Now move to the front cockpit area hope to spend a Sunday on airbrushing.

SAM_0886_zps7fa74640.jpg

SAM_0887_zpsd275e3af.jpg

Have fun

Johan bos

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi now almost done hehe well the main body is ready now need to do the landing gear doors and the fuel tanks and more little stuff.
Hope to start the red tail and fins they will make it come to live even more.
the little dirt streaks I do with watercolourpencils but that later.
cant wait to see that shiny black nose on it.
Oh I made a little airbrush video post it how I airbrush this saterday.

SAM_0909_zps7729f3b4.jpg

SAM_0916_zpse9cd7da2.jpg

SAM_0913_zpsb5e2c5a1.jpg

SAM_0911_zps0cd789c8.jpg

Have fun

johan bos

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thank you for all the kind words I did lots of work on the Tomcat and I wanted to show you how it looks on its wheels.
I did have trouble with the pant coming loose when I pulled the tape from some spots think the surface is to smooth did not sand these areas bud I will repair them later this week.
The last week we got new machine a Hankook 1400 mm carousel with c axel so that need some extra attention it toook 3 weeks to install and needed to work with the latest Okuma lathes and all new products so very busy.
here the new Hankook.

2014-03-10072536_zpse524779e.jpg

Now the Tomcat used Alcad black base for the nose and canopy

SAM_0935_zpsdb8878fd.jpg

SAM_0936_zpsa821fc9b.jpg

SAM_0937_zpsae5fbde5.jpg

SAM_0939_zps20fad3fe.jpg

more

For the landing gear I do two use a base of alcad black because I can chip it with the help of vallejo thinner and a tooth pick.
the tanks need to be cut so the fall over the hard points and the landing gear leg need to be a bit under a angle like the real one to give room for the tank.

SAM_0940_zps9c908204.jpg

SAM_0941_zpsb3e86cb5.jpg

SAM_0942_zps7673e101.jpg

SAM_0943_zpscde3af6e.jpg

SAM_0944_zps9d00fd4b.jpg

SAM_0945_zpsa57c3352.jpg
more

• Like 1

I used a toothpick to get the front arm fix in the hole it is all dry fit now and it feels sturdy.
now some red did the black almost faded from what is see on some older tomcats.
The bombs are under way and the laser pot glued a Lipton tea bag very fin mess on the back of it.

SAM_0946_zpsb8ba4a25.jpg

SAM_0947_zpsb8643873.jpg

SAM_0950_zps938cdf2d.jpg

SAM_0951_zpsdcfbf458.jpg

SAM_0953_zps30304bec.jpg

SAM_0955_zps9e0d0b6e.jpg

Have fun
and more soon

Johan Bos

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work from a fellow Tomcat lover, very envious of your skills!

I'm also adding the Zacto intakes, Aires resin wheel bays ,replacement metal gear legs (forgotten the manufacturer of these) plus some Eduard photo etch to my Tamiya Cats undersides....Mad you say, this is modeling isn't it, pushing the boundaries of what is possible even if it takes you an eternity. LOL, this may take some time indeed!!

I'll post some pics when I'm a little further on with my project.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx Jeroen and Ceege1 hope to see some of your progress soon.

Well done the panel lines need to touche up some spots I notice taking photo's installed the doors and seatbelts they need to be painted later close up photo's later.

The landingear is fixed now so need to start the decals but first high gloss also to seal the red paint so I can repair whatnI think is from greasy finger spots where the paint came off.

_SAM0970_zps55b12c3c.jpg

_SAM0980_zps9177667e.jpg

_SAM0997_zps2c496b6d.jpg

_SAM0996_zps5eb0ad61.jpg

Have fun

Johan Bos

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi it took some time very busy times still here are some test shots to see what I forgot the engine are loose they can be exchange if the PE come out.
The zacto intakes are fantastic injoy hope to finish everything later this week.

SAM_0069_zps604949de.jpg

SAM_0080_zps7756f943.jpg

SAM_0082_zps7fc77f40.jpg

SAM_0089_zps8e13f67c.jpg

SAM_0096_zps6a26f2b7.jpg

SAM_0097_zps483a9786.jpg

SAM_0120_zps4f8dd090.jpg

SAM_0121_zps3afaf40d.jpg

SAM_0122_zpse7c5e798.jpg

SAM_0124_zps9a4829ab.jpg

SAM_0125_zps88682a62.jpg

SAM_0127_zps117672bb.jpg