The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

A Sexy Spitfire

11 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Simply, Outstanding , Tony !  How's "Cubby"??

Shes doing great.  We had her in an airplane shirt to come visit Dad at work of course! She doesnt say anything yet but boy does she talk a lot!

Resized_20210228_121521_1523.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 3/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, TJTX said:

Shes doing great.  We had her in an airplane shirt to come visit Dad at work of course! She doesnt say anything yet but boy does she talk a lot!

Resized_20210228_121521_1523.jpeg

Waaayy too cute !!!  Sounds like she has a career as a politician ahead of her eh?? ( Doesn't say anything but talks a lot?)  :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, harv said:

Is there a way of dirtying the seatbach some ? I like how they did it but needs more weathering......harv

Yea, I was playing with that a bit.  That's my only knock that they're a bit shiny.  I'm gonna go over them with some pastels and maybe try a wash real quick to see how they look after that.  I will say they do look more realistic to the naked eye when compared to photos on my phone. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, harv said:

I would say that's the only draw back to the entire set. But the belts look a little shiny.  Be interesting to see what works on this medium....harv

One thing that also doesnt stand out is the "texturing" in the seat belts.  It's got that thick seatbelt fabric stitching too it.  I've got two more sets for my Zero and Mustang and I'm going to try and give then a wash on the backing paper before removing them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cant seem to get a good picture, but a quick test of applying a fast enamel wash and brushing on some pastels and the belts look great.  Then I put in water and removed them from backing paper.  Dont think it's very easy to ruin that vinyl.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The cockpit looks good Tony. Wouldn't mind seeing them after a wash too. 

Adorable pic of your daughter at Bring Your Kids to Work Day. 

Carl

I decided it was bring your kid day, I was lucky enough to have the airplane at an airport about 15 minutes from the house.  Went to lunch with the wife and kid before heading out on the next trip.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TJTX said:

Yea, I was playing with that a bit.  That's my only knock that they're a bit shiny.  I'm gonna go over them with some pastels and maybe try a wash real quick to see how they look after that.  I will say they do look more realistic to the naked eye when compared to photos on my phone. 

Tony, it’s definitely ok to spray a flat acrylic clear on them, enamel washes work, not sure about lacquers yet. I hear you can, but I never tried. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's something I have6tried yet Mark and it would probably help spraying a flat on it.  Heres literally a two minute experiment.   Original left and quick wash and pastel on right. 

20210320_172033.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great there Tony. If anything, maybe just a touch too clean?

Carl

Yup, that's something I struggle mightily with.   I'm always too scared to mess everything up by weathering.   And because I dont try it, I dont get better at it.   Im stuck in a vicious circle to nowhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TJTX said:

20210321_150850.jpg

20210321_150905.jpg

20210321_150943.jpg

20210321_150959.jpg

20210321_151018.jpg

20210321_151036.jpg

20210321_151055.jpg

Beautiful flawless build, Tony! 

The belts look really realistic now! 
Like Carl said: just give weathering a try like on the belts. You can’t destroy anything. If it doesn’t please you you can easily paint it over.

I also did it a long time like you and then I tested weathering with oil color. Is quite easy and you can create a lot of different color tones. I have Daler Rowney Oil Colors: Black, Umber, White and Blue. And thinner. 
The surface has to be sealed with future / pledge or acrylic clear. This protects the underlying paint. And then you can start by mixing the colors and applying them heavily thinned to corners, panel lines, etc. It needs to dry a day but can easily be wiped off if it doesn’t please you. Fixing is done with flat varnish. You should really give it a try. Really improves the model. I have my oil colors for 18 years now and can still use them!

I enclosed some fotos for more clarity. It’s so easy! You should really give it a try.

BC5611DE-4D60-48F5-8223-E604FCBF987F.jpeg

226A047A-C31F-43C3-832A-719A5FA46B73.jpeg

B59A04BF-CCB2-45BD-9417-8DA5DAA5DA08.jpeg

5312FB1B-9E46-4C24-B5E6-6816255B21E1.jpeg

BC02A497-D321-4A2C-959D-09960B231F26.jpeg

• Like 6

That does look very good.  Perhaps my Zero will be a dirty bird that I can play with.  I'll be building one that was rushed onto Rabul for defense of Guadalcan.  It was crudely painted and should have been very dirty operating in those conditions. 

• Like 5