The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Cross Kit P38’s

So with the ZM 51 getting close to the spray booth, time to think about the next project. Whilst in a forgotten draw in the garage I stumbled across an old Monogram P38J, that’s got to added to the stash list ( 16 now .......). 
So it got me thinking I have the new Tamiya P38F/G and the Eduard reboxing of the Academy kit plus loads of AM plus cartograf decals. What do you guys think of this plan..........cross kit the Tamiya and Eduard and pick the best AM for a full on build and use the cartograf decals..........the Monogram will come later.........

9DA89DC5-D301-4544-9F52-57A398440787.thumb.jpeg.48b1a23b53afd650202df26d06d83185.jpeg

And the additional items in the Eduard boxing. I had already used so AM for the wheel wells / nacelles......

3C0D1B39-8E74-43FF-AF9E-703264F2B13D.thumb.jpeg.b1c593806a41d11af9e2979dc71aa767.jpeg

Be interested what you guys think and if this has been done before?........

• Like 5

Decisions, decisions, Phil. Anyway, it's not a bad thing to build a P-38 for starters, it's a beautiful plane, with lots of schemes to chose.
I'm in a similar situation minus the Monogram kit. I have an Academy one with all the galore and the Tamiya with some add ons like metal barrels, superchargers, masks and wheels. First I thought about cross building too, but skipped the thought. I will build the Tamiya first. Most of the parts are very good out of the box and do not need a replacement urgently. I decided, the Tamiya build should be a fun build, in between some more demanding builds. The Academy with all the resin and it's not perfect fit, will need a lot more attention and if you think about cross building, I would check if the main resin components fit the Tamiya without causing too much trouble. I doubt this will be the case. I love the Brassin cockpit, so it could maybe lead to a parallel build. My Academy is a later model and would receive a NMF for change.

Interesting to see, that your stash numbers increase by the day. There is a sleeper stash in your garage. In German we say 'Du hast Leichen im Keller' like you have body's in the basement :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think that’s it for the hidden stash, I looked in every corner of the garage top to bottom and that’s it, thank goodness........back to the proposed build, I did think the same about the fit. I will use the Eduard decals on both as they are cartograf so should be better than Tamiya. I may just dive in on the Tamiya and see how it goes.......as you said decisions decisions......

• Like 5

Phil

Great idea and except for the decals, the Tamiya  kit is the entire enchilada. Any cockpit details you want to add -just go with the Quinta cockpit set - it has everything plus a great set of seat belts.

Which every way you decide to go, it's going to be an awesome build and I'll be following all the way. :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

On 4/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, JohnB said:

I look forward to watching this thread! :)

I think it should be fun either way I go the Tamiya looks like it will fall together and the Eduard AM is stunning. It’s just a shame the Academy 38 is not as refined. The Monogram 38 has a tooling date of 1964........ 

• Like 3

On 4/2/2021 at 10:14 PM, Peterpools said:

just go with the Quinta cockpit set - it has everything plus a great set of seat belts.

Thanks Peter, I think both will be fun, I’d love to try the Quinta but I’m unfortunately back on furlough for the foreseeable future so the modelling budget is zero at present.......

• Like 3